Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Catch can or breathers???

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/14, 06:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catch can or breathers???

So catch can???

Moroso
Steeda

One on passenger side? Or one on each?

Or get a decent breather set???

What about keeping our warranties intact if we install them???

Thanks guys!
Old 6/6/14, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rynaldo
So catch can??? Moroso Steeda One on passenger side? Or one on each? Or get a decent breather set??? What about keeping our warranties intact if we install them??? Thanks guys!
. OCC is something I'm getting soon. From what I gather, (especially on the 3.7) the passenger side is the most critical unless you're supercharged. $119.99 @ AM. $109.99 on sale (GT only) this month. Those are the JLT's and come pre-piped for super easy swap out.
Old 6/6/14, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm fortunate to be local to bobs autosports. Just picked up my bobs oil separator today. Looks amazing, quality is fantastic.

The Moroso was second for me but I read some things about the elbow drain piece catching a lot of oil. Also didn't like how it mounted.

I looked at steeda's a long time ago but it's just a avg unit. Bobs runs bottom to top as opposed to one in each side of the top. The design alone is superior.
Old 6/6/14, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
I'm fortunate to be local to bobs autosports. Just picked up my bobs oil separator today. Looks amazing, quality is fantastic.

The Moroso was second for me but I read some things about the elbow drain piece catching a lot of oil. Also didn't like how it mounted.

I looked at steeda's a long time ago but it's just a avg unit. Bobs runs bottom to top as opposed to one in each side of the top. The design alone is superior.
What's the install like??? Only need the one??? Pics?
Old 6/6/14, 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

What's the install like??? Only need the one??? Pics?
Haven't installed it yet. Had to get the kids right after I grabbed it. But yes I'm only doing the passenger side.

The install "should" (knock on wood) be simple. It's all assembled other than the hoses. Steve cut one piece of hose that is the exact length I'll need total.

Forgot to mention that it's MUCH cheaper than the others. Mine was $115. And shipping is free.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/6/14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 6/6/14, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Haven't installed it yet. Had to get the kids right after I grabbed it. But yes I'm only doing the passenger side. The install "should" (knock on wood) be simple. It's all assembled other than the hoses. Steve cut one piece of hose that is the exact length I'll need total. Forgot to mention that it's MUCH cheaper than the others. Mine was $115. And shipping is free.
I'm looking at the Bob's too. I emailed them asking what the differences were between their 3 kits...
Old 6/6/14, 07:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'm looking at the Bob's too. I emailed them asking what the differences were between their 3 kits...
It's getting great reviews... My only gripe is how bad it looks with it attached to the firewall with all the long hoses going back and forth...
Old 6/6/14, 08:08 PM
Cobra Member

It's getting great reviews... My only gripe is how bad it looks with it attached to the firewall with all the long hoses going back and forth...
Maybe I can help since I asked similar questions. But in person.

One of the kits, the ultimate firewall is kinda pointless bc you can add the firewall mount to any order.

So basically it's the can with rubber hoses and normal clamps. Or the can with russell hoses and an connectors.

They said that there is no pressure in the hoses. So the "nicer" ones are technically more durable against cuts and "look" better. That's it. Same with the an pieces they just look nicer.

Some people do the normal rubber hose but with the heat shrink instead of clamps. Again looks better. But no other value than that.

Based in this info, from the source, I decided to save the $80-$100 and get the standard kit, clamps, and hoses.

I opted against the firewall mount bc they said you have to drill into the firewall. The holes are NOT already there. The normal mount on the strut tower has the hole already there, so it bolts right up. Plus I agree that the normal mount looks better than the firewall mount too.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/6/14 at 08:11 PM.
Old 6/6/14, 08:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Maybe I can help since I asked similar questions. But in person. One of the kits, the ultimate firewall is kinda pointless bc you can add the firewall mount to any order. So basically it's the can with rubber hoses and normal clamps. Or the can with russell hoses and an connectors. They said that there is no pressure in the hoses. So the "nicer" ones are technically more durable against cuts and "look" better. That's it. Same with the an pieces they just look nicer. Some people do the normal rubber hose but with the heat shrink instead of clamps. Again looks better. But no other value than that. Based in this info, from the source, I decided to save the $80-$100 and get the standard kit, clamps, and hoses. I opted against the firewall mount bc they said you have to drill into the firewall. The holes are NOT already there. The normal mount on the strut tower has the hole already there, so it bolts right up. Plus I agree that the normal mount looks better than the firewall mount too.
Sounds good thanks. I had the opportunity to pick up a used JLT for $90 shipped and I backed out because I started reading bad stuff about it. I'm probably going to pick up the standard Bob's then, bring to the dealer and pop it on before I take off
Old 6/6/14, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

Used! For $90! Wow, whata rip off. I've never really heard anything good about JLT. From making up bs dyno's to their intake causing MAF issus. Their catch can captures next to nothing. From what I've read, it gets the least oil out of all of them. Even ones with the same design.

It blows my mind when I see people running their stuff. Got sucked into the hype.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/6/14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 6/6/14, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Used! For $90! Wow, whata rip off. I've never really heard anything good about JLT. From making up bs dyno's to their intake causing MAF issus. Their catch can captures next to nothing. From what I've read, it gets the least oil out of all of them. Even ones with the same design. It blows my mind when I see people running their stuff. Got sucked into the hype.
Yup. I had their intake in my 03 GT, but the previous owner had already put it in. The one time I took it to the track, the fat intake smacked my oil filler tube on the pos plastic valve cover and cracked it clean off.
Old 6/6/14, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Bob's catch can on my 14GT. It is the basic version mounted near the strut tower. Here are a couple of pics.

Name:  002_zps52822010.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  56.3 KB
Name:  001_zps8a871c1d.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  96.6 KB

Wayne
Old 6/6/14, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Please don't hate but I am curious...
I have done my share of research but still have questions...
Like the OP, Breather or Catcher? Also though, Why would Ford not install one if the car needed one?
I understand oil blows through but is it an actual problem?
I appreciate y'all's responses... but only y'all's nice ones. lol
Old 6/7/14, 12:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
Please don't hate but I am curious...
I have done my share of research but still have questions...
Like the OP, Breather or Catcher? Also though, Why would Ford not install one if the car needed one?
I understand oil blows through but is it an actual problem?
I appreciate y'all's responses... but only y'all's nice ones. lol
Breather and catch cans do the same thing, except you have to empty the catch cans and there is a chance some can still return in the Intake Manifold. With Breathers, there is no chance of oil returning into the Intake Manifold.

Ford didn't install them from the factory because they cost money, and FoMoCo isn't going to foot the bill for something that prolongs the life of the motor. Automotive companies make most their profit on Parts/Service.

Basically, Ford wants to manufacture these cars as cheaply as they can, while still delivering a decent product. No drivability issues without a 'catch can', so they don't install them. Goes for any and every car manufacturer.

Btw, stay away from the JLT Oil Seperators. Barely catches any oil, and every time I look at the return PCV valve, it has oil on it. I clean it every week. The JLT is a $100 paper weight IMO. I'll be putting either the Moroso can, or breathers in a few weeks.

Last edited by KushBandit; 6/7/14 at 12:21 AM.
Old 6/7/14, 12:28 AM

I only mentioned the JLT because of the ease of installation. From what I've learned from some other forums and lots of reading (I too looked into these) the oil separator/catch can/breathers... are not particularly vital (especially for a V6 DD) unless you are a really spirited driver, run a supercharger/turbo or are really looking for an excuse to buy one and on the 3.7 particularly, you only need the passenger side. IMO, it's worth it. Finding a "good" one at a reasonable price is the tough part. I personally like the concept behind the cans with the breather on top but don't think it is "State Emissions" friendly. Two features I would like to see in them is a window, or at least a sight glass and a screen of some sort. The screen can probably be added to any can but I'm not sure if there would be any sort of dissimilar metal issues involved. Ideally, the oil filled gasses would be forced through the screen and not just blowing across the top as in a top/top mounted setup, where the inlet and outlet are both on the top. (like the JLT that was previously bashed lol). At any rate, I found one that does have all the mentioned features, comes in a fancy box and everything, the problem is, it costs $299.99. I have no supercharger, and drive pretty conservatively, so I've just put it further down on the list.
Old 6/7/14, 12:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ageless1
I only mentioned the JLT because of the ease of installation. From what I've learned from some other forums and lots of reading (I too looked into these) the oil separator/catch can/breathers... are not particularly vital (especially for a V6 DD) unless you are a really spirited driver, run a supercharger/turbo or are really looking for an excuse to buy one and on the 3.7 particularly, you only need the passenger side. IMO, it's worth it. Finding a "good" one at a reasonable price is the tough part. I personally like the concept behind the cans with the breather on top but don't think it is "State Emissions" friendly. Two features I would like to see in them is a window, or at least a sight glass and a screen of some sort. The screen can probably be added to any can but I'm not sure if there would be any sort of dissimilar metal issues involved. Ideally, the oil filled gasses would be forced through the screen and not just blowing across the top as in a top/top mounted setup, where the inlet and outlet are both on the top. (like the JLT that was previously bashed lol). At any rate, I found one that does have all the mentioned features, comes in a fancy box and everything, the problem is, it costs $299.99. I have no supercharger, and drive pretty conservatively, so I've just put it further down on the list.
No one in this thread has a 3.7 except you, so I'm unsure why you bring up that motor. Not trying to be a jerk, but this is the 5.0 section.

The 5.0 is known to spit oil back into the Intake Manifold. It doesn't take some hard driving to do that, the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system does that on its own. That oil then lowers the fuels Octane, and you get pre-detonation.

It's a necessity for these coyote motors, if you want to take care of it that is.
Old 6/7/14, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Breathers here. Zero chance of oil getting into the intake.
Old 6/7/14, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't run my 5.0 hard and my catch can always has oil in it.

Wayne
Old 6/7/14, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Breathers here. Zero chance of oil getting into the intake.
Where did you get them?
Old 6/7/14, 11:09 AM

Where did you get them?
This is what I am "going to" use and I just got them in the mail today. I am also installing a Paxton tomorrow as well, so I can tell you how they fit in a little bit.

2 x K&N 62-1340 Vent Filters from The Exhaust Warehouse via Amazon.

$18.94 Ea and free shipping, so $37.88 total.

Quick Reply: Catch can or breathers???