5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Carbotech vs. Hawk Pads

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/12, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech vs. Hawk Pads

In the Market for track pads. Narrowed it down to two brands, Carbotech and Hawk.

Carbotech
Since Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other I’m planning on running them on street and track. For street Bobcat’s in the front and XP8’s in the rear. The reason for XP8 in rear is to avoid switching for track use since they are a track compound, they said that since the rear only see’s 30% of the braking force the XP8’s for street will yield minimal to no noise and some dust. The other option was to go with Bobcats in the rear for street and track, the issue here is that on some tracks I may run the Bobcats may not suffice. For the track I’ll run XP10’s in the front. The downside is that the cost for this set up will be about $555, the good news is that I can use the same rotors and they are reportedly easier on rotors than Hawk.

Hawk
Forum members said their compounds are compatible but I spoke to them and they said no? For street I’m planning on HPS front and rear and then HP+ for the track in the front keeping the HPS in the rear. The good here is that the total cost is $338 but the bad is that if they are not compatible I’ll need a second set of routers for the front and they are also rougher on rotors than Carbotech. Also not sure if the HPS in rear can handle track duty.

Any thoughts?
Old 3/9/12, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the HP+ compound is enough for track use, even with cooling. HPS in rear will wear quickly on track, but is a decent enough street compound (though they will start making noise after the first track event).

I'm playing with some different compounds, but it seems like the DTC70/60 split is the way to go for track brakes (or the PFC01's). I think trying to dual purpose pads just doesn't work all that well, I've been trying that with the last two pairs of EBC yellows and I just go through them quickly and leave a bit on the table on track for braking.