Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Canned Tunes or Day at a Tune Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/17, 04:55 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
My local tuning shop charges $150.00 per hour for a custom dyno tuning session.. Most dyno sessions usually take up to 4-6 hours depending on the application.. His custom tuning rates are as follows: $150.00 per hour/$550.00 for 5 hour tuning package.. Anyhow, my custom e-mail tune from Brenspeed was $295.00 for one supercharged tune file and the local tuning shop that verified it charged $100.00 for one hour of dyno time which brings the grand total to $395.00.. If your car is naturally aspirated, you can select a single custom e-mail tune from Brenspeed for $95.00 or you can select 3 custom e-mail tunes for $145.00..

Hopefully this provides you with the comparison info you requested and I've also included a link for my local tuning shop in which you can verify for yourself that I provided you with accurate info..

http://www.rodeheavershotrod.com/pit...no_tuning.html
http://www.rodeheavershotrod.com/Dyn...burgh_Must.php
Thanks for the info. As long as I am naturally aspirated I will stick with my Steeda emailed tune. I don't see the benefit to dyno tuning with my current mods. If I ever go forced induction I still think dyno tuning is the way to go. The added peace of mind doesn't cost much more than an emailed tune with dyno verification.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (4/20/17)
Old 4/19/17, 05:29 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Thanks for the info. As long as I am naturally aspirated I will stick with my Steeda emailed tune. I don't see the benefit to dyno tuning with my current mods. If I ever go forced induction I still think dyno tuning is the way to go. The added peace of mind doesn't cost much more than an emailed tune with dyno verification.
Just keep in mind that each tuning shop charges different rates from one another.. As some charge higher rates over others..
tourer (4/20/17)
Old 4/19/17, 05:54 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Right now, the only canned tune that I can think of that I would use is the Whipple tune with their stage 2 kit.
Definitely do a tune/dyno tune/data log at a reputable shop. Don't cheap out as it is your car that you are trusting them with. It could get very expensive and ugly if things go wrong.
Good luck and keep us posted.
tourer (4/20/17)
Old 4/19/17, 06:26 PM

Tony, I can assure you from personal experience that Brenspeed's custom e-mail tunes are safe for FI applications and are not considered as canned tunes..

JDM's custom e-mail tunes have also been proven to be safe time and time again through R&D on their Saleen S/C test mule vehicles..

As I previously mentioned on this thread, I had my Brenspeed custom e-mail tune tested and verified on the dyno by a local tuning shop in which the tune was confirmed as totally safe and spot on.. Needless to say, It's been nearly 2 years since then and my car still performs just as well now with no negative issues whatsoever..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/19/17 at 08:21 PM.
tourer (4/20/17)
Old 4/19/17, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
What comes with a SCT hand held are generic upgrades.
What you get via e-mail are canned, they ask for your ECM code so it can't be used on another car.
A custom tune requires your car to be @ the tuners shop, it can't be done any other way.
You can believe anything you want, but being married to an ECM has nothing to do with weather it's canned or not. What car the tune was developed on makes it custom !!
You claim that being married to an ECM has nothing to do with whether the tune is canned or not.. So then explain how it is that Saleen, Roush, Magnuson and Steeda all require their customers ship their ECM's to be calibrated by their tuning depts at their facilities in order to run their S/C kits.. I suppose your also going to claim it's only so that the tune can't be used on another car right

Well here's 2 dyno graph images of my custom e-mail tune that I had verified by the local tuning shop I mentioned here before.. So here's another fun fact for you to ponder on..
Attached Thumbnails Canned Tunes or Day at a Tune Shop?-038.jpg   Canned Tunes or Day at a Tune Shop?-039.jpg  

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/19/17 at 08:15 PM.
tourer (4/20/17)
Old 4/20/17, 05:04 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
A canned tune from a reputable vendor like Steeda should be safe, especially for a normally aspirated engine. Sure, you can probably squeeze a few more HP at the dyno, but is it worth the extra money to you? When I installed the ProCharger, they required the 4-digit code off of my ECM, plus they needed to know of any mods I had done to the car. The tune they supplied runs well and has done so now for 20,000 miles. I did take the car to a dyno tuner as soon as I had the car running to verify that the tune was safe. They checked A/F ratio, timing, etc and said it was a good tune out of the box. For a street car/daily driver, they even recommended I not pay them to change anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpectreH:
m05fastbackGT (4/21/17), tourer (4/20/17)
Old 4/20/17, 09:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
You claim that being married to an ECM has nothing to do with whether the tune is canned or not.. So then explain how it is that Saleen, Roush, Magnuson and Steeda all require their customers ship their ECM's to be calibrated by their tuning depts at their facilities in order to run their S/C kits.. I suppose your also going to claim it's only so that the tune can't be used on another car right

Well here's 2 dyno graph images of my custom e-mail tune that I had verified by the local tuning shop I mentioned here before.. So here's another fun fact for you to ponder on..
This is done to protect their proprietary / intellectual property, Roush also does not provide a hand held, not sure about the others.
Dyno sheets don't provide proof of a canned or custom tune, just shows the rear wheel performance.
You are not the 1st, and won't be the last, to be disappointed in finding out that your " custom " tune is " canned "..
Old 4/20/17, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hopefully the OP got an answer out of these 18 posts, & was able to separate fact from fiction.
I did you guy's, that's why I love coming here, A wealth of information.
I even found a Dyno shop relatively (60 miles) close to me in Loudon, NH. I plan on sticking with the Steeda tunes as long as I'm naturally aspirated, but I would like to find out what RWH and RWT Morgan is putting out.
Old 4/20/17, 03:07 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Tony, I can assure you from personal experience that Brenspeed's custom e-mail tunes are safe for FI applications and are not considered as canned tunes..
I hear good things about Brenspeed! Not knocking them at all.
Someone on another forum recently had their car there for some work and was very happy when he picked it up.

Originally Posted by tourer
I did you guy's, that's why I love coming here, A wealth of information.
I even found a Dyno shop relatively (60 miles) close to me in Loudon, NH. I plan on sticking with the Steeda tunes as long as I'm naturally aspirated, but I would like to find out what RWH and RWT Morgan is putting out.
Is Pete doing the tuning? I hear good things about that shop as well.
GABE uses him, or use to.
tourer (4/21/17)
Old 4/20/17, 06:13 PM

This is done to protect their proprietary / intellectual property, Roush also does not provide a hand held, not sure about the others.
Dyno sheets don't provide proof of a canned or custom tune, just shows the rear wheel performance.
You are not the 1st, and won't be the last, to be disappointed in finding out that your " custom " tune is " canned "..
Being as your a JDM customer who's had their car custom dyno tuned by them.. Why don't you ask Jim JR or better yet confront Jim Sr himself about providing fictional info on their website in regards to their custom e-mail tunes as being nothing more than canned tunes and have them set the record straight once and for all lol.. As for your proprietary/intellectual property claims are concerned, as usual you haven't provided a single fact to back up any of your speculation claims since you began posting on the OP's thread.. For once the customer purchases the S/C kit from Roush, Saleen or from Steeda the kits become the property of the customer..
Only the ECM calibrations themselves are owned by the manufacturer.. And FYI: the reason Saleen and some of the other manufacturers do not include hand held programmers with their S/C kits is due to the manufacturers warranty policy..

And now you have the d@mn nerve to claim that my dyno sheet doesn't provide proof that it's my file that I had verified.. So just who's file do you think it is, somebody else's file that was just randomly picked out of a hat Well if you think I would lower my standards just to going through all the trouble and hassle of stealing somebody else's dyno sheets knowing full well that people would eventually catch on anyhow, then your obviously really out of your freaking mind or just another of your desperate failed attempts towards discrediting my posts

The bottom line is.. I provided proof of the tuning shop in which I took my car to have my custom e-mail tune verified and I also provided proof from JDM's own website that verified their description in regarding their custom e-mail tunes as not being canned tunes.. Therefore I have nothing to gain nor have any purpose for attempting to mislead anybody for any reason whatsoever.. As for being disappointed with my tune is concerned, on the contrary.. What I care about is that my air/fuel, timing and spark parameters are exactly where their supposed to be and if you took the time in enlarging the dyno sheet I provided, you'd notice on the bottom portion what my air/fuel ratio is.. Personally IMHO 432 RWHP for a street driven car is more than enough for my purposes in which just another 5 maybe 10 more HP just isn't worth justifying the cost towards paying an additional $550-$700 for having my car custom tuned on a dyno.. That being said, until you can back up your speculation claims with actual documented proof that JDM engineering has been misleading folks over the description of their custom e-mail tunes.. I personally don't give a rat's @ss what you choose or choose not to believe as far as I'm concerned

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/20/17 at 11:21 PM.
Old 4/21/17, 06:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
There comes a point, where continuing to argue a topic, looses it's entertainment value.

Custom, by definition means, " made to order ".

This allows tuners, ( not just JDM ), to take " canned " tunes, tweek them to fit your needs, and call them custom.

The fact that your tune wasn't developed on your car, makes it canned.

Maybe the OP has figured it out, you haven't !!

Old 4/21/17, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I think this custom thread needs to be canned.
tourer (4/24/17)
Old 4/21/17, 03:00 PM

There comes a point, where continuing to argue a topic, looses it's entertainment value.

Custom, by definition means, " made to order ".

This allows tuners, ( not just JDM ), to take " canned " tunes, tweek them to fit your needs, and call them custom.

The fact that your tune wasn't developed on your car, makes it canned.

Maybe the OP has figured it out, you haven't !!

Then take up your issues with JDM engineering, as I was strictly going by their description.. If you believe their misleading customers, then confront them about it.. It's just as plain and simple as that !!

So what's next, that Ford's stock calibrations are also canned tunes just because they're not developed on each individual car one at a time

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/21/17 at 06:16 PM.
Old 4/21/17, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SpectreH
A canned tune from a reputable vendor like Steeda should be safe, especially for a normally aspirated engine. Sure, you can probably squeeze a few more HP at the dyno, but is it worth the extra money to you? When I installed the ProCharger, they required the 4-digit code off of my ECM, plus they needed to know of any mods I had done to the car. The tune they supplied runs well and has done so now for 20,000 miles. I did take the car to a dyno tuner as soon as I had the car running to verify that the tune was safe. They checked A/F ratio, timing, etc and said it was a good tune out of the box. For a street car/daily driver, they even recommended I not pay them to change anything.
Exactly 100% spot on

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/21/17 at 05:33 PM.
Old 4/21/17, 08:20 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I have a custom email tune from Brenspeed that we put on a dyno and the tuner said was good but he thought he could make better. So I now run a custom dyno tune done by the guy that just ran 293 mph at the Texas mile a few weeks ago. Just by chance. Not his run. Just by chance that's the same guy that did my tune.
Old 4/21/17, 10:00 PM

Gary, how much better is your custom dyno tune over the Brenspeed custom e-mail tune you upgraded from ? If the performance gains justify the additional $500-$700 tuning cost, then I'll look into either getting my car custom dyno tuned or have it tuned remotely via data logging through Lund or VMP tuning
Old 4/21/17, 10:16 PM
Post *****

Gary, how much better is your custom dyno tune over the Brenspeed custom e-mail tune you upgraded from ? If the performance gains justify the additional $500-$700 tuning cost, then I'll look into either getting my car custom dyno tuned or have it tuned remotely via data logging through Lund or VMP tuning
I really don't know. Everyone put the fear of God into me about the email tune and the dyno being the way to go back then. I ran the Brenspeed tune long enough to drive me to the dyno time in Houston which is about two hours from me. I drove it around town before then but never pushed it over 4000rpms.

My setup was on Tom281s car and he had his done at Brenspeed on the dyno in Indiana more than once. But I differed a little because I had long tubes. Patrick in Houston spent all day and half the night on the dyno with it.

So o honestly can't say. I never trusted it fully till it was ok doing full pulls on the dyno. Most of the time was spent waiting for the car to cool down between pills.
Old 4/21/17, 10:20 PM
Post *****

Actually let me answer that again. The gains were almost the same. But the air to fuel was better with the dyno tune dialing it in better.

Patrick said Brenspeed's tune was a little rich at times and the timing was a little more advanced. So he had me put on the smaller pulley and he backed off the timing.

I'm no expert. At one point he had it at 505rwhp but we backed off to 479 to a place he said it was good.
Old 4/22/17, 09:57 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
For someone contemplating a supercharger install it is only $500-$700 more for dyno tuning if you pay for the custom email tune first, then the dyno verification and finally decide to go full custom dyno tune. If you skip purchasing the email tunes and go straight for the custom dyno tuning, using the pricing that you provided in an earlier posit it is less than $200 more, which for me would be worth the piece of mind. It is a lot to think about for someone considering a supercharger. A lot of factors come into play including overall cost of mods, proximity of a reputable shop for dyno tuning, whether or not you plan to do the install yourself, etc.

If you already have a supercharger with a tune that you are happy with I do not see any reason to change. Tunes from companies like Brenspeed, Steeda and others have to be good or there wouldn't be so many people running them without any problems. Like you said at this point $500-$700 is a lot to pay for little additional gain.
Old 4/22/17, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I really don't know. Everyone put the fear of God into me about the email tune and the dyno being the way to go back then. I ran the Brenspeed tune long enough to drive me to the dyno time in Houston which is about two hours from me. I drove it around town before then but never pushed it over 4000rpms.

My setup was on Tom281s car and he had his done at Brenspeed on the dyno in Indiana more than once. But I differed a little because I had long tubes. Patrick in Houston spent all day and half the night on the dyno with it.

So o honestly can't say. I never trusted it fully till it was ok doing full pulls on the dyno. Most of the time was spent waiting for the car to cool down between pills.
I can certainly understand where you coming from Gary, as back then anything other than a custom dyno tune for a supercharged application wasn't recommended, so I also would've been just as leary until at least finding out the tune was safe by having it put on the dyno and tested..

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Actually let me answer that again. The gains were almost the same. But the air to fuel was better with the dyno tune dialing it in better.

Patrick said Brenspeed's tune was a little rich at times and the timing was a little more advanced. So he had me put on the smaller pulley and he backed off the timing.

I'm no expert. At one point he had it at 505rwhp but we backed off to 479 to a place he said it was good.
Not that I'm playing devil's advocate, but once you found out the air/fuel was running a bit rich at times along with the timing being a little more advanced.. Couldn't you just had Brenspeed send you a revised tune file with the air/fuel and timing corrections

Originally Posted by EF1
For someone contemplating a supercharger install it is only $500-$700 more for dyno tuning if you pay for the custom email tune first, then the dyno verification and finally decide to go full custom dyno tune. If you skip purchasing the email tunes and go straight for the custom dyno tuning, using the pricing that you provided in an earlier posit it is less than $200 more, which for me would be worth the piece of mind. It is a lot to think about for someone considering a supercharger. A lot of factors come into play including overall cost of mods, proximity of a reputable shop for dyno tuning, whether or not you plan to do the install yourself, etc.
Yes, it could be less than $200.00 more.. However as I previously mentioned, every tuning shop charges different rates.. Most shops charge between $600-$700 and up for a dyno tuning session.. The rate I posted was from a local tuning shop in my area, so it all depends on the location and the shop itself..

Originally Posted by EF1
If you already have a supercharger with a tune that you are happy with I do not see any reason to change. Tunes from companies like Brenspeed, Steeda and others have to be good or there wouldn't be so many people running them without any problems. Like you said at this point $500-$700 is a lot to pay for little additional gain.
That's pretty much what I've been saying since the very beginning of this thread