Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

C&L CAI/SCT Combo Dyno Stats...

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/10, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L CAI/SCT Combo Dyno Stats...

Just got back from GTR, we put on a CAI from C&L Performance with a SCT mail order tune. The dyno was ran before and after in 3rd gear using 91 octane.

You might remember that my car dynoed stock at 361rwhp and 364rwhp after bolting on magnaflow street series exhaust with xpipe.

The temp was about 7degrees hotter than my original stock runs but we established a new baseline of 366rwhp despite the hotter conditions.

After installing the CAI and adding the tune we got a best run of 386rwhp. We did run a few times just with the tune but I can't remember the exact numbers. I feel safe repeating the tune was good for 12rwhp and the CAI 8rwhp.

8th mile track testing is next, stock I ran 8.67@84, with exhaust I ran 8.45@84, so hopefully I can make it to the track this Thursday and I'll update the times.

Seat of pants test, I'd say the car feels more "zippy" or "lighter on its feet', basically it feels the same as when I changed my gears to 4.10s in my last Stang.

One thing I'm 100% on, the tone coming from the soundtube is WAY more defined and brutish, me likes...
Old 8/25/10, 04:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What mail order tune did you use?
Old 8/25/10, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
What mail order tune did you use?
Just the setup preloaded into the SCT device.
Old 8/25/10, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Brandon,

will you leave that doggone car alone for a minuet and stop making it faster I need to be able to keep up with you on the next run.

those are some nice gains for sure and It's good to see some real world results from bolt on's

I had to do a double take as I read your post because I thought you had added 4.10gears to your current Stang
Old 8/25/10, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by super6stang
Just got back from GTR, we put on a CAI from C&L Performance with a SCT mail order tune. The dyno was ran before and after in 3rd gear using 91 octane.

You might remember that my car dynoed stock at 361rwhp and 364rwhp after bolting on magnaflow street series exhaust with xpipe.

The temp was about 7degrees hotter than my original stock runs but we established a new baseline of 366rwhp despite the hotter conditions.

After installing the CAI and adding the tune we got a best run of 386rwhp. We did run a few times just with the tune but I can't remember the exact numbers. I feel safe repeating the tune was good for 12rwhp and the CAI 8rwhp.

8th mile track testing is next, stock I ran 8.67@84, with exhaust I ran 8.45@84, so hopefully I can make it to the track this Thursday and I'll update the times.

Seat of pants test, I'd say the car feels more "zippy" or "lighter on its feet', basically it feels the same as when I changed my gears to 4.10s in my last Stang.

One thing I'm 100% on, the tone coming from the soundtube is WAY more defined and brutish, me likes...

8.45@84 is suprisingly slow. you have good tires, or stockers?
Old 8/25/10, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
8.45@84 is suprisingly slow. you have good tires, or stockers?
Well, stock all-season rubber and me driving
is not a great combo.
Old 8/25/10, 12:29 PM
GTR Member

What tranny and gears do you have?

Why would you dyno in 3rd?
Old 8/25/10, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zilla8
Hey Brandon,

will you leave that doggone car alone for a minuet and stop making it faster I need to be able to keep up with you on the next run.

those are some nice gains for sure and It's good to see some real world results from bolt on's

I had to do a double take as I read your post because I thought you had added 4.10gears to your current Stang
I'll be going with 3.73s when the time
comes. I'm just trying to keep up with
your beast!
Old 8/25/10, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by super6stang

Hopefully it will be cooler. What altitude are you at?
Old 8/25/10, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
What tranny and gears do you have?

Why would you dyno in 3rd?
auto and 3,15. 3rd gear was the gear we
could run to redline without a forced
upshift.
Old 8/25/10, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gene K
Hopefully it will be cooler. What altitude are you at?
It was 93degrees but I don't
know about the altitude.
Old 8/25/10, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Your #'s look right on for an auto. AM's car did 363 yet i have seen some in the 350's. I think Livernois and VMP's cars went around 354 stock.
Old 8/26/10, 07:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You should try a tune from one of the big name tuners and see if they can pump out a few more pony's.
How is the throttle response and shifting with the SCT tune?
Old 8/26/10, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was supposed to go back to the shop last night to discuss possible adjustments we could make but never had time.

I did however get a chance to "play" with the car on the way home, throttle response feels the same but it pulls slightly harder once you get to the magic spot which now slightly before 4000rpm. From a dead stop it actually caught me off guard, I broke traction leaving 2nd gear and got a little loose for a moment. I've practiced powerbraking launches from that exact spot several times and i've never had that sensation with the 2011.

But, one problem I had, that tool symbol came on the dash and I think the car went into safe mode cause it limited itself to 2000rpm once I merged on the freeway, I called the shop and they had me check to make sure the CAI wasn't loose or anything, but everything was fine. I restarted the car and got back on the freeway and the light never came on again.

I cruised the car the final 30 miles home but couldn't resist "getting on it" a bit right before my exit.
Old 9/10/10, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Track Testing Update

I went back to Irwindale last night, only got in three runs but my best was 8.21@88mph, I feel like the car can get out of the box quicker but I haven't found the perfect launch yet.

No matter what, that's still an improvement over the car with only exhaust which ran 8.45@84mph.
Old 9/10/10, 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I keep forgetting the Dale is 1/8 mile the fun thing with drag racing is you can make big improvements with little things like gears/tire and with the Auto you can do a converter and make that baby leave even harder.Glad to see you enjoying your new Stang and getting out to the track.
Old 9/11/10, 01:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zilla8
I keep forgetting the Dale is 1/8 mile the fun thing with drag racing is you can make big improvements with little things like gears/tire and with the Auto you can do a converter and make that baby leave even harder.Glad to see you enjoying your new Stang and getting out to the track.
i'm switching to 3.73's next week...
Old 9/12/10, 08:27 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I don't see why the 'tool symbol' light would come on. You seem to have gotten a 'mild tune'. Which is good, a mild tune is well worth the money just to remove the top speed limiter.
I have a SCT Tune from Evolution Performance for my V-6 automatic. Does your automatic (with your tune) shift a lot faster and more firm? Mine does, even driving around normal. My V-6 auto. will 'bark' the tires when shifting into 2nd gear at wide open throttle.
I've tried different launching styles. Traction control off. I tried holding the brake and upping the r.p.m. a couple thousand then taking off. Didn't work LOL!!! Even on my V-6, traction broke and 'went up in smoke'. I know your G.T. would really burn the tires. The best way (for me anyway) is to just floor it.
Let me know if your automatic shifts different with your tune.
Old 9/12/10, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

The safe mode problem has been fixed.
SCT sent me three extra tunes, the first one triggered safe mode
within a mile, I'm running the second one with
no issues at all for well over a week.

As for the shift points, night and day difference!