5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Boss with throttle body or CJ intake

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/14, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss with throttle body or CJ intake

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but I can't seem to find a solid answer on this. I'm in the debate of running a boss intake with a 85mm throttle body or buying the cobra jet which will obviously have to have a new throttle body put onto it. The one thing that I've always noticed is that the boss is always compared to the CJ with the stock throttle body while the CJ has to run a different one. I'm not sure if the aftermarket throttle body will help with the little bit of torque loss in the boss or not, but I'm sure that either way the additional throttle response will be a plus. I plan on staying naturally aspirated and adding some cams this winter too.
Old 8/10/14, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the CJ manifold if you plan on staying N/A. It's about twice the price, but its worth the extra power. No torque loss with the CJ intake compared to the Boss intake either.
Old 8/10/14, 06:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would go with the CJ manifold. I have a FRPP 84.5mm TB on my Boss....I don't think it has added any additional power...but I think throttle response might be quicker.

I was just cruising around and found that Jon Lund has lowered his price for his CJ kit: http://pbhperformance.com/shop/cobra...ke-power-pack/ If you do cams and can squeeze in headers...you'll be getting close to 500 rwhp. That's a pretty amazing bump without going FI.

Wayne
Old 8/10/14, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Senderofan
I would go with the CJ manifold. I have a FRPP 84.5mm TB on my Boss....I don't think it has added any additional power...but I think throttle response might be quicker.

I was just cruising around and found that Jon Lund has lowered his price for his CJ kit: http://pbhperformance.com/shop/cobra...ke-power-pack/ If you do cams and can squeeze in headers...you'll be getting close to 500 rwhp. That's a pretty amazing bump without going FI.

Wayne

That's actually an amazing price for the kit. It's about $200 more than the boss intake with the Steeda CAI, if you already have a tuner, if not they add another 380 to it, but overall it's the best price I've seen on getting setup with a CJ.
Old 8/15/14, 05:13 PM

I'm still on the fence on what intake to buy. So I went ahead and did a little research on the throttle body on a boss setup. Unfortunately it looks like no one does a side by side comparison of a cobra jet intake, and a boss intake where both have an aftermarket throttle body. My curiosity of this led to a little more investigation and in the long run I made the phone call to BBK. They claim an 8-12 HP gain with their throttle body on a stock 5.0, which if it is true should put a boss with a throttle body a few ponies above the CJ, but I'm not sure about the torque still. After a useful conversation with the guys over at BBK it has convinced me to wait a few weeks on my intake upgrade. One of the employees over there has recently purchased a boss intake and will be pairing it with the 90mm throttle body. They're going to put it up on the dyno and get the results of what the stang will be pushing out with a boss and aftermarket throttle body.
Old 8/15/14, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by musgrajr
I'm still on the fence on what intake to buy. So I went ahead and did a little research on the throttle body on a boss setup. Unfortunately it looks like no one does a side by side comparison of a cobra jet intake, and a boss intake where both have an aftermarket throttle body. My curiosity of this led to a little more investigation and in the long run I made the phone call to BBK. They claim an 8-12 HP gain with their throttle body on a stock 5.0, which if it is true should put a boss with a throttle body a few ponies above the CJ, but I'm not sure about the torque still. After a useful conversation with the guys over at BBK it has convinced me to wait a few weeks on my intake upgrade. One of the employees over there has recently purchased a boss intake and will be pairing it with the 90mm throttle body. They're going to put it up on the dyno and get the results of what the stang will be pushing out with a boss and aftermarket throttle body.
Old 8/16/14, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Interesting topic! I want to see the results. I can't decide which intake I like better looks wise for one thing
Old 8/17/14, 07:55 AM
GT Member

We installed the Boss Intake and at the same time, the BBK 90mm TB. At the time, NA, everyone was saying no need to do it. I will tell you, we were VERY HAPPY with the setup NA. Great throttle response and the top end the Boss brought to the table was awesome. All the better now that we added a Vortech V3. The car is a beast with this setup now. If you go the route of the Boss Intake and TB, you have a great base to build on an FI setup. The car made 636.49 rwhp before installing a smaller pulley and a waste gate. Haven't put her on rollers since the pulley and wastegate, but I am sure it will make 650rwhp & 535tq now @10psi

Last edited by Deerslayer; 8/27/14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 8/24/14, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Senderofan

Wayne
PBH is not owned or operated by Lund...

Originally Posted by Deerslayer
We installed the Boss Intake and at the same time, the BBK 90mm TB. At the time, NA, everyone was saying no need to do it. I will tell you, we were VERY HAPPY with the setup NA. Great throttle response and the top end the Boss brought to the table was awesome. All the better now that we added a Vortech V3. The car is a beast with this setup now. If you go the route of the Boss Intake and TB, you have a great base to build on an FI setup. The car made 636.49 rwhp before we put on a smaller pulley and a waste gate. We haven't put her on rollers since the pulley and wastegate, but I am sure we are looking at 650rwhp & 535tq now @10psi
How come every post is like a 3rd party... We this and We that?? LOL
Old 8/24/14, 08:43 PM
GT Member

We this and We that?? LOL
LOL.....Because this mustang is my son's car that WE work on together. I drive an FX4........so if it were MY car, I would be saying "I"

Last edited by Deerslayer; 8/24/14 at 08:44 PM.