5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Barton two post or regular?

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/13, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Barton two post or regular?

Hello,

I love my new '13 GB GT. However i ran into some issue being in denial that i will with the factory shifter, where few times i was locked out of my gears ( probably due to a close gate and mashing gears ) on the new MT82.

Now i know its user error. I even grinded once

but now trying to eliminate that with factory shifter.

I am thinking about buying the BARTON regular or dual POST Shifter bracket, and was wondering which one to go with?

I really hate how ford designed the factory one. on my 02 GT i never had issues slamming them gears...

any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 3/21/13, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the 2 post and have never missed a gear since the install,took the slop out ,more precise shifting,etc.Thats with the stock shifter,just the bracket change.
Old 3/22/13, 12:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponywars
I have the 2 post and have never missed a gear since the install,took the slop out ,more precise shifting,etc.Thats with the stock shifter,just the bracket change.
I did the steeda bracket and have a similar experience. I actually like my stock shifter.
Old 3/22/13, 08:19 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing the bracket will be a big improvement. Even though I put in both the Steeda Shifter and bracket and love the improvement, the stock shifter is not so bad. I found the key to shifting the MT-82 is, on the 2nd to 3rd shift, letting the centering spring do its job and then palm-up banging the shifter into the radio. In my case, gripping the ball when shifting 2-3 caused me to guide it into third which resulted in missed shifts. Palm-up shifting eliminated that. This video shows what I'm trying to describe. http://tinyurl.com/a7xqy6l
The 1st to 2nd shift was never a problem for me with the stock shifter.
Old 3/22/13, 11:25 AM
GT Member

I put a hurst shifter in mine with the new rubber piece with the kit and still missed 3rd occasionally. I changed to the 2 post bracket and haven't missed since. Sometimes it felt like when I missed third it was bc of flex or movement bc of the bracket. The 2 post Barton is solid.
Old 3/22/13, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford needs to address this w/o us having to spend extra money... They need to hook us up with a free part. We need to start a debate, and we need a FORD SERVICE Rep to help us get this done...
Old 3/22/13, 01:46 PM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13
Ford needs to address this w/o us having to spend extra money... They need to hook us up with a free part. We need to start a debate, and we need a FORD SERVICE Rep to help us get this done...
I doubt Fords sees this as an issue. I'm sure they're more concerned about NVH than whether or not you or I can power shift the car with the stock set-up. I wasn't crazy about the stock shifter but it worked and was quiet. It's not a performance part but it does what it's supposed to do.

Last edited by Len; 3/22/13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 3/22/13, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As long as FRPP and other aftermarket companies are around we,ll never get a production car the way it should be according to us enthusiasts.Way too much money in the after market!!Always has and will be like that.
Old 3/23/13, 06:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put the Barton shifter in my car and I can't imagine how much more of an improvement the bracket is going to make when I change that out. Now she shifts like the driving machine she is.
Old 3/31/13, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Len
I doubt Fords sees this as an issue. I'm sure they're more concerned about NVH than whether or not you or I can power shift the car with the stock set-up. I wasn't crazy about the stock shifter but it worked and was quiet. It's not a performance part but it does what it's supposed to do.
Exactly. This is a daily driver shifter, doesn't want to be rushed or anything like that. It's that kind of shifter, the ones that only understand you when you talk slowly and surely...

That being said I tossed my stock shifter/bracket after a year for the Steeda Tri-ax + Barton two post. Much better while shifting fast but now the interior's noisier and you really have to plan your shifts in traffic...