5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Any guesses on what the max power on a NA 5.0 will be?

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/10, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by todd03blown
Driver72, why no reply to Rick?????? You keep posting crap about their readings and yet the owner comes here and posts and you are know where to be found????
We had our car on the same dyno as Shaun's yesterday. It made 379 RWHP / 372 RWTQ and I went to the track and ran 11.61 @ 118 mph.

I got in the car, drove 40 miles to the track, went to the staging lanes right off the street, and made 3 hotlap passes within 20 minutes, and drove 40 miles home.

We have built a name for ourselves over the years based on performance and service. Dishonesty and fudging numbers is not something we do here.

Here are my slips in order of time and video proof.

Track Video

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
Old 8/27/10, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So with the auto and the mods you have you gained about 25rwhp? I thought i seen your auto was 354 stock? A CAI may gain you another 10? A lot less than other are claiming. It just shows you can not stack hp.

Last edited by RedCandy5.0; 8/27/10 at 08:35 AM.
Old 8/27/10, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
So with the auto and the mods you have you gained about 25rwhp? I thought i seen your auto was 354 stock? A CAI may gain you another 10? A lot less than other are claiming. It just shows you can not stack hp.
Below is the dyno sheet showing stock, tune only, and headers, x-pipe, catback, 4.10 & tune.

The car still has a stock airbox.

-Rick
Old 8/27/10, 09:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so you made 30 rwhp so the CAI should bump you up to 40. Now is this on a 87 car or 93?
Old 8/27/10, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Ok so you made 30 rwhp so the CAI should bump you up to 40. Now is this on a 87 car or 93?
Yes, I think that's a safe guess.

This is 93 octane. The baseline was with 87 octane and it would have made slighlty more with 93.

Also, 30 RWHP is the peak gains, but look at the gains across the entire board (green vs blue lines)

-Rick
Old 8/27/10, 10:07 AM
FR500 Member

From the flow numbers posted elsewhere on this site, the stock air box appears to lose about 4% of the total pressure at redline. This reduces the air density in the cylinders (and thus the power) by a proportional amount. An aftermarket filter that flows TWICE as much, will cut this loss in half. So an ~2% HP gain could be expected. We've seen 12HP, or about 3%, on Shaun's car.

One of the inherent assumptions made above is that the intake air temperature is held constant. Small variations in intake air temps have a much bigger effect on HP. The 2010+ stock airbox does a very good job of getting cool air to the engine, so the possible gains in this area are small for the 2010+ cars, more is available when upgrading older cars.

Rick, did you happen to have logged IAT's for the runs on Shaun's car? If not, would it be possible to do if/when you upgrade the shop car? It would be another good measure of how the CAI's are making their power.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/27/10 at 10:09 AM.
Old 8/27/10, 11:09 AM
V6 Member

Rick, can you plot the best pull from this car against the best pull for Shaun's car?
Old 8/27/10, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rick@Livernois
I don't think the dyno is optimistic at all. We have 2 Dyno-Jets and one, an AWD version is only 3 months old. His car has been on both and made similar numbers on both.

Unfortunately, we haven't had the chance to put another manual trans car on the dyno multiple times to see if Shaun's car is a freak or ?? His car when brand new made 375 RWHP, after 2,000 hard miles it made 390 RWHP and was verified on both dynos.

Just as a comparison, a stock auto 2011 Mustang GT makes around 345-350 RWHP on this dyno, a Shelby GT500 makes around 440 RWHP, a 3V Mustang GT manual trans makes around 260 RWHP, and an LS3 Camaro makes 375 RWHP.

These numbers are what we see on other Dyno-Jet's from other shops as well. I can't explain Shaun's numbers, but it was on the dyno several times and did back them up.

We did have another manual trans car on the dyno that did have over 1,000 miles and it still made around 375 RWHP.

We have no reason to inflate numbers to make us look better. We spent a ton of money on the AWD dyno so we could have the latest technology and help us to develop our EcoBoost package without tuning with a wideband on the street. We also have 40+ cars in the shop now from all over the Country. In my opinion, a dyno number is a dyno number. As long as the car is baselined on the same dyno as is used after mods and you can see the gains made from the mods, who cares what the numbers are. If you want to know how it performs, go to the track.

Our automatic shop car doesn't make a big number and has 100% stock suspension (other than swaybar relocation brackets), stock airbox, longtube headers, catted mid-pipe, catback, 4.10, our custom tune and 15" Bogarts w/ drag radials and it goes 11.90 @ 117 mph. At our home track, even similarly modded manual trans cars aren't running that.

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
Originally Posted by todd03blown
Driver72, why no reply to Rick?????? You keep posting crap about their readings and yet the owner comes here and posts and you are know where to be found????

Crap about their readings?
It's not crap, what it is, is ONE person's results.
Rick was kind enough to respond, but you clearly have overlooked a few things.
1. Shaun's car made 375 rwhp completely stock
2. When it made 390 rwhp it had a couple thousand break in miles, which is not uncommon to gain some horses when broke in, and he had a GT500 axleback on, so his car was no longer stock.
3. Do you know if he had in 91 octane, 93 octane or even higher?
4. Rick himself stated he has not had the opportunity to have another 6MT car on his dyno multiple times after a couple grand break in miles to verify the results. But he did have another STOCK 6MT car on the dyno and it made the same 375 rwhp Shaun's did when Shaun's car WAS completely stock.
Granted a GT500 axleback probably does not make much hp (but reports are that some axlebacks alone are making 5-10 hp. Did you miss all that?

So Rick has stated that he's had 2 GT 5.0 manuals on his dyno and when both were completely stock both made around 375 rwhp.
That falls pretty much in line with my stating of 365-370 rwhp as average for these cars. Keep in mind, that's AVERAGE. So you may see 375-376 on the high side and 359-360 on the low side, depending on octane gas as well as weather, and dyno calibrations.

So before you go spreading around gospel that 390 rwhp has been had stock it hasn't. Of the dynos we have all seen, 365-370 rwhp is average on a GT 5.0
We haven't seen enough 5.0's on the dyno with 3000+ miles yet to determine how much (on average) the car gains in power from it's factory new power outputs.
Many cars gain 1-2% on average (or about 4-7 rwhp in the Mustang's case) after several thousand miles of break in.

We also have not seen dynos of 91 octane STOCK and then 93 octane STOCK on the same dyno to see if the 5.0 does in fact make a few ponies more on 93 over 91.

So I'll say it again, other than one other person who has claimed 402 rwhp stock (which would mean over 455 crank hp), on average the stock 5.0 is putting down 365-370 rwhp.

I'd like to see a wider array of 5.0's on 91 octane too, to see what they put down on average.
Shaun's car may very well be on the higher side of average. That happens, of course you get a ringer from time to time as well as a dud from time to time.
But you should know, you don't take the extremes in any test and use it as your guide in science. You look at overall averages, and often disregard the extremes as anomalies.

And thanks Rick for the detailed response. Your tune is one of 2-3 I've been seriously considering using. I'd love to see more dyno tests of your tunes on other 5.0's with just CAI (91 octane tune results would be nice too.)
Old 8/27/10, 03:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Crap about their readings?
It's not crap, what it is, is ONE person's results.
Rick was kind enough to respond, but you clearly have overlooked a few things.
1. Shaun's car made 375 rwhp completely stock
2. When it made 390 rwhp it had a couple thousand break in miles, which is not uncommon to gain some horses when broke in, and he had a GT500 axleback on, so his car was no longer stock.
3. Do you know if he had in 91 octane, 93 octane or even higher?
4. Rick himself stated he has not had the opportunity to have another 6MT car on his dyno multiple times after a couple grand break in miles to verify the results. But he did have another STOCK 6MT car on the dyno and it made the same 375 rwhp Shaun's did when Shaun's car WAS completely stock.
Granted a GT500 axleback probably does not make much hp (but reports are that some axlebacks alone are making 5-10 hp. Did you miss all that?

So Rick has stated that he's had 2 GT 5.0 manuals on his dyno and when both were completely stock both made around 375 rwhp.
That falls pretty much in line with my stating of 365-370 rwhp as average for these cars. Keep in mind, that's AVERAGE. So you may see 375-376 on the high side and 359-360 on the low side, depending on octane gas as well as weather, and dyno calibrations.

So before you go spreading around gospel that 390 rwhp has been had stock it hasn't. Of the dynos we have all seen, 365-370 rwhp is average on a GT 5.0
We haven't seen enough 5.0's on the dyno with 3000+ miles yet to determine how much (on average) the car gains in power from it's factory new power outputs.
Many cars gain 1-2% on average (or about 4-7 rwhp in the Mustang's case) after several thousand miles of break in.

We also have not seen dynos of 91 octane STOCK and then 93 octane STOCK on the same dyno to see if the 5.0 does in fact make a few ponies more on 93 over 91.

So I'll say it again, other than one other person who has claimed 402 rwhp stock (which would mean over 455 crank hp), on average the stock 5.0 is putting down 365-370 rwhp.

I'd like to see a wider array of 5.0's on 91 octane too, to see what they put down on average.
Shaun's car may very well be on the higher side of average. That happens, of course you get a ringer from time to time as well as a dud from time to time.
But you should know, you don't take the extremes in any test and use it as your guide in science. You look at overall averages, and often disregard the extremes as anomalies.

And thanks Rick for the detailed response. Your tune is one of 2-3 I've been seriously considering using. I'd love to see more dyno tests of your tunes on other 5.0's with just CAI (91 octane tune results would be nice too.)
How am I missing a few things?

Show me where I stated anywhere that the new 11's should be putting down 390RWHP stock?

My whole point behind my posts is the sheer fact you kept stating that HIS dyno was incorrectly calibrated in multiple posts; you stated PLAIN AND SIMPLE (refer to post #9). I kept replying that why would Rick with his reputation across multiple manufacturers post something that is completely from the truth given his continous work load that keeps his shop busy?

I also believe that Shaun or another member also stated the axle back was maybe worth 2-3hp from previous tests that Shaun has posted.

Last edited by todd03blown; 8/27/10 at 04:00 PM.