5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2013 Vented hoods are not the best for aftermarket Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/12, 05:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket CAI are a waste of money anyway. What you mostly gain is noise while losing throttle response (not horsepower) in the lower to middle rpm range.
Old 11/19/12, 03:28 PM

JLT has also come up with an idea on how to fix the problem. Here is the vid on youtube.

Old 11/22/12, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

I've read that c&l cold air intakes seal to the hood, can anyone confirm they dont have this issue with the 13's?
Old 11/22/12, 01:15 PM
GT Member

Vents in hood with 2013's is no longer a issue with water.
Those with CAI just buy the small foam "rubber"? piece from JLT. END of story!
Old 11/22/12, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Ok, so who's going to find out which actually results in cooler air inlet temps; partially blocked extractors with cai vs stock intake and extractors...

...my guess is it makes no difference whatsoever. If I had to pick a side, I'd put my money on stock.
Old 11/22/12, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Well it appears to only block 1/4 of one side of the two vents so probably no difference. Meh, just like how clean the motor looks with a intake.
Old 11/25/12, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GriffinGT
JLT has also come up with an idea on how to fix the problem. Here is the vid on youtube.

2013 Mustang hood vent water blocker - YouTube
Originally Posted by Barry626
Vents in hood with 2013's is no longer a issue with water.
Those with CAI just buy the small foam "rubber"? piece from JLT. END of story!
That foam block design will create other problems. Water now will sit in that blocked area and mold and possibly might even rust under the hood in that area and also soak through the under hood cover. This plug is a temporary fix.
Old 11/25/12, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BOSS302R
That foam block design will create other problems. Water now will sit in that blocked area and mold and possibly might even rust under the hood in that area and also soak through the under hood cover. This plug is a temporary fix.
Yes, I think you're right. I can see that being an issue. Scott
Old 11/25/12, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
This is just yet another reason why I'm staying with the stock air intake set-up.

The car goes **** well as it is ... eventually I'll probably do a tune, and even more eventually (further down the line), I'm hoping for a blower, and if I do a Procharger like I'm thinking I might, the air intake is at the back edge of the hood anyway, so no issues with the water inlet still
Old 11/25/12, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
someone mentioned an exposed filter from hood vents?

Old 11/25/12, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by kn7671
Aftermarket CAI are a waste of money anyway. What you mostly gain is noise while losing throttle response (not horsepower) in the lower to middle rpm range.
I 'd have to agree. I gained plenty including throttle response, with just a tune, and still keeping the stock air box.The aftermarket all claim HP increases with the tune and CAI, based on my own experience with my car, the gains came from the tune, without the need for an aftermarket CAI. For the money it costs to put one of these things on, I'd best invest in something that will make the power stick at the track, or drop my ET, like slicks and gears.
Old 11/26/12, 05:51 AM
Cobra Member

ill do something different. that looks funny when you open the hood yes
I don't get it; you'd rather have water pour onto the filter over having the shield "look funny"???

That's like the guys that put film over their headlights. It dims the output of the headlight, but hey, it looks cool!

If you get the funnel or a way to block the hood vents, patent the idea and make some money!
Old 11/26/12, 05:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
I 'd have to agree. I gained plenty including throttle response, with just a tune, and still keeping the stock air box.The aftermarket all claim HP increases with the tune and CAI, based on my own experience with my car, the gains came from the tune, without the need for an aftermarket CAI. For the money it costs to put one of these things on, I'd best invest in something that will make the power stick at the track, or drop my ET, like slicks and gears.
I tend to agree with this, yet the GT500's from the factory come with the open element semi CAI setup. Must be something to it. My guess is that combined with the tune, you get a few more ponies.
Old 11/29/12, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To quote myself from another thread:

See if you can find the interview Jay Leno did with the chief engineer on the Boss 302/Laguna Seca. The engineer guy made it pretty clear that adding a CAI to the intake tract wouldn't yield much in the way of Return On Investment, that the box was getting cool air as it is. Leno seemed surprised to hear a recommendation against it.

It seems to me that Ford Racing would have a kit out by now, if there were significant potential for gains; what I see in their lineup is a (questionably) superior air filter and a tune, with or without some expensive mufflers.

Even when the '05-'09s were known to gain from CAI, it was never more than ten or fifteen percent of the gain from CAI/tune combination. Definitely not much of a bargain in the horsepower-to-dollar sweepstakes.
Old 12/5/12, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No not really.
The area is very small, only a couple ounces of water can puddle here. Now think about this, the hood insulator is pretty flat with a slight angle forward.
When you drive with an open drink, what happens to the liquid in the cup?
As you move forward it wants to come out the back, as you stop it wants to come out the front, turn left, turn tight and so on.

Simple driving will push the water out of the little pocket it's sitting in or just lift the hood.
Wash your car? Lift the hood
Drive home in a heavy rain, I don't think anything will be in there, but Lift your hood.

Drive more aggressive than a grandma and you'll be just fine.

We knew poeple would think this and ask these questions, but all you need to do is look under the hood and see how little the area is and how the water will not stay in there under normal driving conditions.

Think it will? Just open the hood and any water will come out, easy fix for piece of mind.

As far as CAI's not worth it.

That's up for debate, but the hard fact is the faster cars run them.
We have N/A intake and tune cars running mid 11's
JPC uses our JLT CAI on their 10 and 9 second N/A 5.0
Tons of the fastest cars run JLT CAI's, why? Because they work

Not to mention the look and sound.
Not getting one is cool, but saying they don't work, is just false info.