Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Lund vs AED Tune Comparison with/w out Airraid CAI

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/12, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mustang GT 5.0 Lund vs AED Tune Comparison with/w out Airraid CAI

Before I write this, let me first begin by saying I am not endorsed, compensated, nor fondled from writing this review.

I switched over from an 02 WS6 that put down 595/607 H/C/I/100 shot. Ford has been doing something right recently, so I decided to place an order for a GT. The car was delivered in May. Within a few weeks I knew it was time for exhaust. I started out with MRT axle backs. They sounded awesome, but the car was still not quite loud enough for my taste. I called Evo Performance and spoke with Fred. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. He hooked me up with a fantastic deal on headers/catted x/tune. This was my first Lund tune, but there are quite a few Lund nut swingers in St. Louis, including my brother, so I figured what the hell. I was averaging 15.5-16.5 MPG with mostly city driving. Highway I averaged about 20-21.

Stock I put down 370/345 on a mustang dyno in the middle of June 103 degrees, 48% humidity.
Same day/dyno with the headers/lund tune/catted x 414.3/376.9

When we datalogged it on the dyno I realized my timing was still stock, and my rev limiter was still 7000 (stock setting). Additionally, I noticed surging at low RPMs, and when it was cold. I contacted Ken Bjones of Lund Racing. Despite several attempts of getting in touch with him, I kept patient and waited for him to return my call. About two weeks later finally a response. He sent me two new tunes and told me to go datalog them. Both of those tunes pulled WAY harder than the original tune. The power was more or less like a switch you could turn on and off. As soon as you hit the gas pedal, boom, power was there, but only in the high RPMs. 4500-6500.
Still had an issue with surging.

Me, being a long time disbeliever in CAI's, decided to bite the bullet and order one. I like how the CAI's now use the factory cold air induction inlet tube that draws air from outside the engine bay. I am also one of the many people that used to feel CAI's don't pick up much on the street because of the hot under-hood temperatures. Let me tell you guys.... The CAI is DEFINITELY noticeable. The car decided to actually move from 3000-4000 RPMs. There is a definite increase of low end tq and it sounds beastly aggressive as you can hear the car sucking in air.

Throughout this time frame I had been shooting emails back and forth with Shaun from AED. Shaun is one of the nicest, most genuine tuners I have ever come across. He really knows how to conduct business professionally and keep customers happy. You can email/call the guy at any time during the day and you will have a reply within 30 minutes.
Shaun's tune is a whole different animal. His tune just feels smoother. There is no comparison. The revs come down slower when you push the clutch in, allowing for more smooth and accurate shifting. It honestly drives better than stock with his tune. Everything works in harmony together. It pulls harder then Lund's tune, and has more power down low. I am averaging a little better MPG in the city ~16-17 and the same on HWY. Not that MPG matters in a car like this, because they're meant to be driven, but for all you guys that DD the car I figured you may like to hear it.

I now have a Boss Manifold and full suspension. Every single time I call Shaun he sends me a revised tune as he continuously does R/D on his work. For all you guys that are worried about down low torque loss, dont. It's not awful and the car really screams up top. I would NOT get the Boss mani if you dont have 3.73's. If I didnt have the shorter gears, the down low tq loss would be a lot more noticeable.

I have yet to dyno the car with AED performance tune, but I have had a few races. I raced a Lund tuned car, same mods, same setup. I pulled half a car. A half a car is more of a drivers race, but you get the point.

I also raced an auto car without Boss mani that was tuned by a local Mustang guy. Pulled 1.5 cars.

Regardless, you cannot go wrong with either tune. Evo Performance/Lund is a fantastic tuner combination no doubt. There is a reason why Lund is the most trusted Mustang tuner in the country. AED's tune is just as much of a monster and it drives unbelievably well. Props to both Evo Performance and AED. The only difference that is noticeable is drivability. AED's is smoother.

The reference I made above about my WS6 was to let everyone know this car feels as fast as my WS6 did on the bottle. I trapped 119.8 off the bottle, and 125 on. My 5.0 is every bit of a 118-120 MPH car. It is wicked fast now.

For now, my car is an AED car.
Sorry for rambling. Im gonna go rub my nips on my whip now.

Last edited by Joey7489; 3/3/15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 9/12/12, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow great write up and funny ending. Thanks for the insight
Old 9/12/12, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write up, and welcome from a fellow former WS6 lover. Never used an AED tune, but have heard nothing but good things about them. What CAI did you go with? Good numbers on a mustang dyno in that weather!
Old 9/12/12, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice write up. Still deciding between Airaid, Steeda or JLT CAI.
Old 9/12/12, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
Great write up, and welcome from a fellow former WS6 lover. Never used an AED tune, but have heard nothing but good things about them. What CAI did you go with? Good numbers on a mustang dyno in that weather!
I miss my WS6 occasionally, but once I drive my 5.0 that empty hole is filled.
I went with the Airraid intake.

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13
You wont be dissapointed with any of those three.
Old 9/12/12, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the write-up, nice to get an unbiased review. i've been hearing good things about AED, does anyone know if they are gonna have tunes available on the new diablo tuner?
Old 9/12/12, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BackinBlack13
I recommend Steeda all day long
Old 6/22/13, 04:48 PM

ttt for anyone contemplating tuners
Old 6/23/13, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Former fbody owner here too. 01 SS, 125 shot Nitrous, lid, y pipe mod, free ram air, maf screen removed, nitto DR's 11.80s at 120.5 mph. 13.50s stock.
Old 6/23/13, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to dyno numbers on both tunes. Thx for the good info!
Old 6/24/13, 04:51 PM
GTR Member

This thread is over a year old guys, doesn't look like any dyno numbers are going to be posted...
Old 6/25/13, 02:13 PM

Im still planning on dyno-ing it dont worry lol. Just taking me some time to the dyno.
Old 6/26/13, 09:44 AM
GT Member

Sounds like you enjoy sipping the AED Kool-aid....lol.

Shaun is a great guy and always takes care of his customers. Hell, I ran into an issue with my SCT device, I emailed him cause SCT was closed at 9pm at night and he was still trying to help me the best he could.

I have a few different tunes on my car

AED - this tune is a beast, but I don't get good gas mileage...lol
Steeda - This is a great DD tune
C&L - I have all 4 versions and they are all great

I started with Lund (Ken), but that story is for another thread one day.....it just was not working and I never heard from Ken again.

Last edited by BadHabit2Break; 6/26/13 at 09:47 AM.
Old 6/26/13, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I've never had a lund tune.. but I quite like my aed tune. I tried my bama tune recently just to compare now that i've run the aed tune for a few months.. bama tune felt like a soggy pos in part/mid throttle.
Old 6/27/13, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone have any experience with VMP. I think thats the route im going to go when im ready to tune. Jay at hypermotive deals with VMP and Jay seems like an awesome guy. I heard Justin is a bit rough around the edges but writes a **** good tune for the 5.0. Anyone?
Old 6/27/13, 06:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Justin is a great guy and one of the best tuners out there. His tunes are smooth and great for DD or the track.
Old 6/27/13, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Justin is a great guy and one of the best tuners out there. His tunes are smooth and great for DD or the track.
Thats what I wanted to hear. He doesn't offer a "cammed tune" but according to him its not really worthwhile or safe for our cars. I just don't think theres enough research or longevity to sway me one way or another.
Old 6/27/13, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

double post

Last edited by joey8; 6/27/13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 6/27/13, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Cam tune gets old after a week or two. Still doesn't sound legit enough for me either