Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2011 GT500 Axleback exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/11, 11:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Anyway, I called my local speed shop get a price on these and they couldn't figure out which axle back was the OEM for the 2011 GT500s... Would anyone mind sharing a part number?

Thanks for any opinions or information.
http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=12437
Old 2/11/11, 05:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
If you are looking for teeth rattling loud, the GT500's are not the ones. I have had deletes and they were loud. I really like these GT500's on my '11 GT/CS as the sound is nice, just a nice rumble.

Thanks, guys.
Old 2/11/11, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
I had a heck of a time installing mine. Passenger side = 15 minutes, but on the driver's side the cross brace for the panhard rod mount gave me a LOT of grief, so I undid it. Then the pipe fell out of the front clamp, just behind the H-pipe (I'd loosened those to allow some slip back at the muffler connection) and it was near impossible to get the pipe back into that clamp. Took 2 hours to do the driver's side.

After all that, I was greatly anticipating a great new sound! Instead, I was disappointed. It's not much louder than stock at all. And instead of more of the stock sound (which has a lot of bass to it), it only boosted the upper bass/midrange frequencies. During idle and low-load cruise, I found almost no improvement over the stock muffers. At W.O.T, they're a bit louder, maybe 25% louder, which about right. But I spend a lot less time at W.O.T. than in other conditions. In short, I wanted more rumble, more muscle-car thunder, and these somewhat disappointed me on that account.

What now? My financial mod wad is shot now, so I'll live with it for awhile I guess. I'd just put my stock mufflers back on if it wasn't such a colossal pain to do so. I guess I'll enjoy these awhile...

WHERE'S THE RUMBLE?
This is why I got the borla s-type mufflers I didn't want to be disappointed with the rumble of the mufflers. I haven't had them installed yet, I'm waiting til April but the wait is almost unbearable lol Maybe you can try anding a good xpipe to the system to make it louder and deeper, I heard the gt500 muffs in person and they are very refined on sound.
Old 2/11/11, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Vorheez
This is why I got the borla s-type mufflers I didn't want to be disappointed with the rumble of the mufflers. I haven't had them installed yet, I'm waiting til April but the wait is almost unbearable lol Maybe you can try anding a good xpipe to the system to make it louder and deeper, I heard the gt500 muffs in person and they are very refined on sound.
Now that I've lived with it awhile, I am very happy with the GT500/SVT mufflers. I would still like a little more rumble at idle/slow speed but other than that I think their tone is as good as it's going to get with the 5.0 and they're definitely loud enough when accelerating. And they're quiet when I want 'em quiet. So all-in-all, with this being my DD car, I am VERY happy with the SVTs and plan no other mods on the exhaust for a long time.

In fact, my next "mod" is going to be a structural & cosmetic one - going to have the Orthodontist administer braces to my pretty daughter's teeth. And younger sister isn't far behind. As their Dad, I am happy to do it, they are SO worth it!
Old 2/22/11, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Has anyone run these without the resonators? If so...what did u think?
Old 2/22/11, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vorheez
Now that I've lived with it awhile, I am very happy with the GT500/SVT mufflers. I would still like a little more rumble at idle/slow speed but other than that I think their tone is as good as it's going to get with the 5.0 and they're definitely loud enough when accelerating. And they're quiet when I want 'em quiet. So all-in-all, with this being my DD car, I am VERY happy with the SVTs and plan no other mods on the exhaust for a long time.
This is why I am planning on dumping my Ford Racing Sports (Borla S Types) for the GT500 mufflers. I love the sound of the Sports but they are way too loud. You can't take off spiritedly from a light without people being able to hear you from a mile away. Way too obnoxious, IMO, and it draws a lot of unwanted attention even when you're not driving hard at all.

If I'm pulling away from a light on a steep hill with an LEO near me I just cringe and wait for the lights to start flashing. Sure it's quiet at cruise but **** is it loud with any throttle input!

I might keep them around, though, because when the Mustang is no longer a daily driver I can stand to live with that much noise!

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 2/22/11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 2/22/11, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Has anyone run these without the resonators? If so...what did u think?
I have been waiting to find that out too.
Old 2/24/11, 07:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I strongly believe in supporting local businesses and the owner of my neighborhood speed shop is a hell of a good guy... but it will be another week and a half before my GT500 mufflers show up.

Meh...we still have 25+ inches of snow on the ground here in CT, lots of salt residue on the roads, etc. The GT isn't coming out of the garage for a while anyway.
Old 2/26/11, 07:12 AM

MRGTX, I also have the same question. Are you removing the resonators when you put the GT500's on? Please post a audio/video. Been searching this one for a couple of weeks.
Old 2/28/11, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kbmag1
MRGTX, I also have the same question. Are you removing the resonators when you put the GT500's on? Please post a audio/video. Been searching this one for a couple of weeks.
Only if I find it to be too quiet...so not at first. I'll definely share a video if I go that route though.
Old 3/4/11, 06:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

At long last, I have the GT500 mufflers ready to install!

I just hope the weather in CT this weekend allows some time on my back in the driveway but it's not looking good.

Possibly a dumb question but what are the little dangling tabs for near the upstream "inlet" pipe?
Old 3/5/11, 06:20 AM

Good luck with the weather. Post a video with a before and after install.
Old 3/5/11, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Possibly a dumb question but what are the little dangling tabs for near the upstream "inlet" pipe?
Have no idea but I used them to slip on a stud on the pipe and hold the front of the muffler while I aligned them.
Old 3/5/11, 03:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ah, Christ. Got the old mufflers off ok but putting the new ones on is a bit trickier.

I unbolted and dropped the hangers to get the old mufflers off the car but it's not possible to do this in reverse because so far I can't get a wrench up there to tighten the hanger bolts back up with the muffler attached. If the mid pipe moved a bit more, this wouldn't be a problem but there is no clearance there either.

Is there a trick to this? Is it possible to get the hooks through the rubber hangers and get the pipes to line up all in one shot?

I'm obviously no mechanic but I had no problems with this simple job on my old 2009.

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/5/11 at 03:22 PM.
Old 3/5/11, 07:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Ah, Christ. Got the old mufflers off ok but putting the new ones on is a bit trickier.

I unbolted and dropped the hangers to get the old mufflers off the car but it's not possible to do this in reverse because so far I can't get a wrench up there to tighten the hanger bolts back up with the muffler attached. If the mid pipe moved a bit more, this wouldn't be a problem but there is no clearance there either.

Is there a trick to this? Is it possible to get the hooks through the rubber hangers and get the pipes to line up all in one shot?

I'm obviously no mechanic but I had no problems with this simple job on my old 2009.
Earlier in this or similar thread someone put up a link to the Corsa intall procedure which would've saved me a LOT of trouble. The job looked a lot easier than it turned out to be.

Two big keys: Loosen the mid-clamps forward of the resonators. That and you'll need to loosen or remove the panhard rod mount/brace. Find that how-to I mentioned.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 3/5/11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 3/6/11, 07:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Earlier in this or similar thread someone put up a link to the Corsa intall procedure which would've saved me a LOT of trouble. The job looked a lot easier than it turned out to be.

Two big keys: Loosen the mid-clamps forward of the resonators. That and you'll need to loosen or remove the panhard rod mount/brace. Find that how-to I mentioned.
Thanks, Double-E! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, it looks like Corsa pulled all of their relevant PDFs...or maybe their server is out of comission. The link on page two of this thread doesn't work anymore, nor do the others on the Mustang procuct support page.

http://www.corsaperf.com/product_loc...l=14&year=2011

Regardless, I think you gave me enough to go on when I try again today.

In a way, I'm glad CT still has wet, salty, grimy roads. The pressure is off to get the Mustang back on the road for at least another couple weeks.
Old 3/6/11, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I got it!

Drop the brace, drop the main hangers (no need to mess with the ones near the bumper) slide them onto the hooks on the on the mufflers, push them all the way back (so the muffler will be as far aft as possible) hoist the mufflers up, insert the rear most hangar to support some weight, then work it around until you get the main hanger to line up (there is a pin that goes through the sheet metal that will help) then thread the bolt in, holding the weight of the muffler the whole time. Then get the other bolts in. Connect up the pipe last. Just be patient...This is not an easy job without a lift!

So far, Im thrilled though I havent drivent it yet.
Make no mistake- this axle back is much louder thank stock...after
some idling and gentle revving, i can verify that it sounds mean..not as raw or raspy as the Loudmouth kit I had on my 09...but a more well rounded and better sounding note. Despite the 5.0's synthetic sounding idle, this car now spunds like a proper muscle car! Those of you thinking that another "stock" muffler isn't a worthwhile upgrade...you would be surprised at how big of a difference this axle back makes!

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/6/11 at 02:43 PM.
Old 3/7/11, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I got it!
Congrats! They get even better after you've driven them a day or two. Can't explain why; there's no fiberglass to pack down or anything.
Old 3/8/11, 08:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Congrats! They get even better after you've driven them a day or two. Can't explain why; there's no fiberglass to pack down or anything.
Thanks again for your help!

I'm psyched to hear that they get better but they don't need to improve, really.

The roads were temporarily dry yesterday afternoon and I took it for a sub 30mph spin around the block... and they're already quite loud.

Dare I say...I think they're just about perfect. I could tolerate a bit more volume but they're pretty wild even if they don't ever get louder.

The best way I can describe it is that they're loud and crisp enough to definitely indicate a heavy breathing/serious motor and to give you plenty of RPM feedback from the driver's seat...but they're not inappropriate or overly show-off ish.
Old 3/8/11, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again for your help!

I'm psyched to hear that they get better but they don't need to improve, really.

The roads were temporarily dry yesterday afternoon and I took it for a sub 30mph spin around the block... and they're already quite loud.

Dare I say...I think they're just about perfect. I could tolerate a bit more volume but they're pretty wild even if they don't ever get louder.

The best way I can describe it is that they're loud and crisp enough to definitely indicate a heavy breathing/serious motor and to give you plenty of RPM feedback from the driver's seat...but they're not inappropriate or overly show-off ish.
Wheres the Video?

Quick Reply: 2011 GT500 Axleback exhaust...