5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2011 GT occasionally not "catching" on start-up? (Stock tune)

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/11, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 GT occasionally not "catching" on start-up? (Stock tune)

So this has happened three times now.

I'll go to start the car and the motor just spins over without firing. I always turn the key off after about 2.5 seconds of cranking and let it sit for a moment before trying again. The first two times, it has fired right up on the second attempt but the other day at the gas station, it took three tries and I started to wonder what the hell is going on and if this might strand me at some point.

The car has been warm each time this has happened. So far, cold startup has been normal.

3,700 miles, stock tune, intake, etc. No CEL or any other evidence of a problem.

Any ideas? I'd really prefer to not take it to the dealership and put my car through hundreds of start up cycles while they try to recreate it.

Thanks for any advice!
-Mike
Old 3/22/11, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of us had this problem. So far after doing the theory in this thread I haven't had any problems ( knock on wood )

Here's the thread for this.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/st...anking-491522/
Old 3/22/11, 08:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Many of us had this problem. So far after doing the theory in this thread I haven't had any problems ( knock on wood )

Here's the thread for this.

Thanks, DaSFGiants! I really appreciate it.
I missed that thread... I'l read up. Glad that you were able to (possibly) solve the issue!
Old 3/22/11, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

Thanks, DaSFGiants! I really appreciate it.
I missed that thread... I'l read up. Glad that you were able to (possibly) solve the issue!

No problem! Hopefully it works for you. Do keep us posted if your still having issues with her.
Old 3/22/11, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Will do. There is some logic to letting the computer cycle before twisting to the start position... but it doesn't explain why it happens so seldom.

We shall see...
Old 3/22/11, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Will do. There is some logic to letting the computer cycle before twisting to the start position... but it doesn't explain why it happens so seldom.

We shall see...
it also gives the fuel pump time to "prime" the injectors.. which can also cause the starter run on.. my 95 would do the same thing if i didnt let the fuel pump pressure the line.. i think its a combo of the 2...
Old 3/22/11, 10:35 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So this has happened three times now.

I'll go to start the car and the motor just spins over without firing. I always turn the key off after about 2.5 seconds of cranking and let it sit for a moment before trying again. The first two times, it has fired right up on the second attempt but the other day at the gas station, it took three tries and I started to wonder what the hell is going on and if this might strand me at some point.

The car has been warm each time this has happened. So far, cold startup has been normal.

3,700 miles, stock tune, intake, etc. No CEL or any other evidence of a problem.

Any ideas? I'd really prefer to not take it to the dealership and put my car through hundreds of start up cycles while they try to recreate it.

Thanks for any advice!
-Mike
Hey MRGTX,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. If you do not think it has to do with the starting feature in your mustang, please make an appointment with your Ford dealership. Then message me with your mileage, VIN, dealer, and contact info so that I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 3/22/11, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey MRGTX,

My name is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. If you do not think it has to do with the starting feature in your mustang, please make an appointment with your Ford dealership. Then message me with your mileage, VIN, dealer, and contact info so that I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

Hi Deysha

Would it be possible to escalte this to ford in regards to this issue? There has been MANY members here having the same problem. There is something wrong when 20 or so members are having the same issue. Here are the other threads in regrds to this matter. Your assistance is much appreciated.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/st...-issue-485021/
Old 3/22/11, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

And if we take it to the dealer we will always get this response from them 9 times out of 10.

" .. can't replicate issue."
Old 3/22/11, 11:40 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I definitely understand where you are coming from DaSFGiants4Life. As we all know, that is the first step is to bring it in. I would recommend them to at least call in to the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673 after going to their dealer or contact me via private message as everything gets looked at on a case by case basis.

Deysha