Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2011 5.0 seems to be a bit down on power.

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/15, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 5.0 seems to be a bit down on power.

My 2011 RTR, 6spd turned 20K recently. Bought it used last year with 15K. I've noticed lately there is some occasional hesitation, and it seem to be lacking a bit in the powerband, almost like its not getting 100% form the engine....I'm due for an oil change soon, so I think Ill just take it in, have that done and have them look at it. Want to see if anyone has an idea of what to expect or if anyone's had a similar issue? I haven't done any engine mods, but I think the rtrs came with a slight tune. I could be wrong though.
Old 2/23/15, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
My 2011 RTR, 6spd turned 20K recently. Bought it used last year with 15K. I've noticed lately there is some occasional hesitation, and it seem to be lacking a bit in the powerband, almost like its not getting 100% form the engine....I'm due for an oil change soon, so I think Ill just take it in, have that done and have them look at it. Want to see if anyone has an idea of what to expect or if anyone's had a similar issue? I haven't done any engine mods, but I think the rtrs came with a slight tune. I could be wrong though.
I would say your air filter could be due to be cleaned or changed, and your fuel injectors could be dirty. Additioanlly do you have a catch can? if not you probably have sludge in the intake gumming things up.

I would change the plugs, add some lucas fuel injector cleaner to your next tank, and clean/change the air filter.

it will probbaly feel like a new car again.
Old 2/23/15, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I find that these motors vary quite a bit depending on conditions....some days, it feels much quicker than others. Pay attention to the conditions, etc and see if it doesn't feel quicker when the weather changes.

Are you running 91 (or better) octane fuel? You could have gotten a bad tank full.
Old 2/23/15, 01:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I find that these motors vary quite a bit depending on conditions....some days, it feels much quicker than others. Pay attention to the conditions, etc and see if it doesn't feel quicker when the weather changes.

Are you running 91 (or better) octane fuel? You could have gotten a bad tank full.
The weather in Houston has been up and down a lot lately. Like 75 one day, 40 the next. That might have soothing to do with it. I put shell 93 in every time. I will pay attention to it when the weather gets nice again thanks.
Old 2/23/15, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I would say your air filter could be due to be cleaned or changed, and your fuel injectors could be dirty. Additioanlly do you have a catch can? if not you probably have sludge in the intake gumming things up.

I would change the plugs, add some lucas fuel injector cleaner to your next tank, and clean/change the air filter.

it will probbaly feel like a new car again.
I don't have a catch can. Those sound like some very likely culprits. I will definitely do that. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 2/23/15, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Dont trust Ford to check your air filter, I have the Ford premium ESP maintenance plan which includes filters, etc. and I've had the oil changed three times, every time I have asked about the air filter and been told it was fine. the third time I questioned it and asked to see the filter they pulled it and lo and behold it was absolutely black and dirty, so I asked them to change it under the maintenance plan and they advised it would cost me extra, I refused and got my own filter. The point of all that is , the car was running much like yours and after changing the filter it is running like new.
Also changed the cabin air filter, it was pretty dirty too.
Old 2/23/15, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
Dont trust Ford to check your air filter, I have the Ford premium ESP maintenance plan which includes filters, etc. and I've had the oil changed three times, every time I have asked about the air filter and been told it was fine. the third time I questioned it and asked to see the filter they pulled it and lo and behold it was absolutely black and dirty, so I asked them to change it under the maintenance plan and they advised it would cost me extra, I refused and got my own filter. The point of all that is , the car was running much like yours and after changing the filter it is running like new.
Also changed the cabin air filter, it was pretty dirty too.
Thanks for the feedback. Air filter is the first thing I'm going to tend to. Car came with a K&N drop in, not sure if its cleanable/reusable or not.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 2/23/15 at 04:12 PM.
Old 2/23/15, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also a slightly separate issue....My drive to and from work is all around town bumper to bumper. I've never had good fuel economy, but it has gotten worse, which solidifies what you guys have been saying the issues most likely are. But I was curious what mpg I should be expecting. I drop into 9-10 mpg some times in my drives to and from work. Is that unusually low or is that to be expected in stop and go, bumper to bumper, traffic?
Old 2/23/15, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also a slightly separate issue....My drive to and from work is all around town bumper to bumper. I've never had good fuel economy, but it has gotten worse, which solidifies what you guys have been saying the issues most likely are. But I was curious what mpg I should be expecting. I drop into 9-10 mpg some times in my drives to and from work. Is that unusually low or is that to be expected in stop and go, bumper to bumper, traffic?
Very low. I vote for air filter.
Old 2/23/15, 05:51 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I swap out for a clean air filter every oil change, which I do around 6000 miles. Even though I run full synthetic, it's just good insurance. When I pull the dirty one off, I clean and oil it and sit it on the shelf for the following oil change.
Old 2/24/15, 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I swap out for a clean air filter every oil change, which I do around 6000 miles. Even though I run full synthetic, it's just good insurance. When I pull the dirty one off, I clean and oil it and sit it on the shelf for the following oil change.
Thanks guys, airfilter is getting done tonight. Will do some fuel inj. cleaner when I fill up this week. Probably pull the airbox off and see if there is any gunk in the TB/intake.
Old 2/24/15, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have a catch can. Those sound like some very likely culprits. I will definitely do that. Thanks for the feedback.
i dont drive aggressive still i get 1/4 can oil in catch can every time i check which usually is once a month.. i would vote to get one. nice to see a fellow Houston on the forum. if you are interested in meets, car show and cruise with other fellow stangs please hit me up
Old 2/24/15, 10:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Originally Posted by CiniZter
i dont drive aggressive still i get 1/4 can oil in catch can every time i check which usually is once a month.. i would vote to get one. nice to see a fellow Houston on the forum. if you are interested in meets, car show and cruise with other fellow stangs please hit me up
Catch can very good advice. It was one of my first "mods".

Last edited by SpectreH; 2/24/15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 2/24/15, 11:10 AM

I recently changed my oil to synthetic blend from the full synthetic oil i had been using.
I was amazed, the power is back. when I went to full synthetic, i always felt the power was down a bit, it also ran lousy as well. Some forum members also reported a clicking, tapping sound after an oil change. I had the sound as well when I went to full synthetic none when I ran synthetic blend. It has been reported that the motorcraft full synthetic that is used in the boss and track pack mustangs is too thick. The engine can have reduced power and in extreme cases can have oil starvation
hope this helps

Last edited by bornagain stang; 2/24/15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 2/24/15, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bornagain stang
I recently changed my oil to synthetic blend from the full synthetic oil i had been using. I was amazed, the power is back. when I went to full synthetic, i always felt the power was down a bit, it also ran lousy as well. Some forum members also reported a clicking, tapping sound after an oil change. I had the sound as well when I went to full synthetic none when I ran synthetic blend. It has been reported that the motorcraft full synthetic that is used in the boss and track pack mustangs is too thick. The engine can have reduced power and in extreme cases can have oil starvation hope this helps
The boss and track pack cars use a 5w50 which is a bit heavier
Old 2/24/15, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
The boss and track pack cars use a 5w50 which is a bit heavier
Hmm ill have to look at my last oil change receipt. I believe they moved me over to full synthetic. Thanks guys

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 2/24/15 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2/24/15, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Thanks for the advice. I have been trying with no avail to find some regular meetups. Would be great to get together with some other stangs
Old 2/24/15, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oil synthetic blend to full synthetic should not make a difference.
Old 2/24/15, 01:03 PM
GT Member

^^Right? If you are in stop and go traffic and your car is hot that will make it way down in power. Could that be it?
Old 2/24/15, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by choate
^^Right? If you are in stop and go traffic and your car is hot that will make it way down in power. Could that be it?
Heat soak will rob power