5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2011 5.0 Brenspeed Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/11, 10:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT
What is with the "lonely kitchen" pic?
LOL...that was at the guest house. Nice convenience for a multi day project.
Old 9/29/11, 10:41 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I corrected the typo on the thread title. Just passing through.
Old 9/30/11, 05:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I corrected the typo on the thread title. Just passing through.
Thanks and correct spelling is sometimes sacrificed on the alter of limited time.

Friday Night Madness at IRP tonight and it'll be in the 50s....anyone know how that low temp will affect times?
Old 9/30/11, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411

Thanks and correct spelling is sometimes sacrificed on the alter of limited time.

Friday Night Madness at IRP tonight and it'll be in the 50s....anyone know how that low temp will affect times?
Yea you probaly won't hook the car up..
Old 10/6/11, 10:35 AM
GT Member

I've put about 1500 miles on the mods installed by Brenspeed and myself, and so far I've had no problems, unwanted noises, or issues. Mods are listed in signature. I did hit a bump hard and had an alignment shop check one strut for me - it felt much harder than it was, but the strut was not bent. I don't think I would do anything different. After these mods I only plan on doing a blower and then an engine when the time comes.

Time Updates: We may not get to run again this year so this is how it went for my car:

Best Run this year was 11.9 at 116, and I'll admit I was not driving it, but the car does run 11's with the right driver modification. I think Greg hit a 1.52 60' and had a .1xx reaction time but I can't find the time slip. Some "Mopar" people videotaped it and I sent an email asking for the youtube link and they never responded (bummer).

When I drove:
Best run was just at 12.1 but could not duplicate that run.
Average "hard launch" run is high 12.2 to low 12.3 in the 115 range.
Best 60' was 1.5-ish but I am hitting in the 1.7-1.8 on a regular basis
My average reaction time in the .3-.6 range (not that good)
I have 3.55 gears and like this ratio since I don't peg the red line in 4th at the finish line. With better launches I should be close to hitting the rev limit at the line.

Last night we went out to Lucas Oil Raceway since we figured it would be the last warm day to test (LOR is a.k.a. IRP for the old timers):
DA was 1800' (that's what some guy at the tech inspection lane said)
79 degrees, 62% Humidity
Thought I would try some launches from a standstill without warming up the tires...I just hit the gas when the last yellow was lit...and launched from idle RPMs, traction control on.
1st Run: 12.64 @114mph, 1.9 60', 8.3 sec 1/8th. Nice easy launch, no spinning.
2nd Run: 15.13 @113mph (pulled the shifter out of 1st gear too soon so it was a jacked run, some people got a laugh at the speed vs. time on this run)
3rd Run: 12.41 @ 115mph, 1.8 60', 8.2 1/8th.

Then we left for some dinner and drinks to celebrate for a guy who's GT500 had a catastrophic transmission failure - we drank for him anyways, he was not there with us, but we felt his pain! The car was setup just for drags, full cage, and big power, it locked up at launch and hopped forward about 2', and they couldn't push it off the track .
I'm going to upload time slips as soon as our new server is fixed at the office and can scan them in. I need a camera and way to mount it inside. It would be nice to show some folks how "flat" the car remains during acceleration.

Tires:
NTO5 tires stick good when the track is warm and prepped for the slicks, but when it's cool and they get lazy on the prep, the NT05's will spin like you get on dry pavement during a hard launch stop light race. You have to really warm these up for a good launch but you get another .2 off your time.

NT05R we added to the rears will not spin with my power level while launching from idle. It just chirps and goes.

Steeda Shifter/Barton Shifter Bracket: Great mods and hitting good shifts is easy. I am getting faster but an Automatic may be better for drag racing.

MT82 is holding up well. In fact it shifts better with more abuse and time so who knows. If I add a blower or get full slicks we may end up with a pile of metal pieces.

I may switch to BFGoodrich G-Force tires and I have always been a fan. We'll see next spring where that goes. I was used to launching with them. The Nittos need more warm up - a good 5 count in the burnout box. I remember counting of 1-2-3 for the BFG's and they would stick great.

This years last modifications:
I am installing a Dynatech Driveshaft this weekend, which should be good for another .2 off 1/4 mile times, but we will have to wait until spring for another run.

14" front and rear Wilwood brakes: When I put this up in the garage for the winter I am taking the rear axel out for a rebuild and new brakes, and taking off the front spindles to fit the W6A Wilwood calipers. (a small bit has to be filed or ground off)

Track Time disappointments:
1. I see dozens of new cameros on the street, but have only seen 2 at the track, and they didn't run while I was there.

2. I have not seen any other 5.0 (2011-12) at the track here in Indy. I've only been out 3-4 times this year but still....lets get racing boys and girls!

3. Watching a pimped out 300C with some serious mods kick my *** down the track. He was deep in the 11's. Total sleeper but two thumbs up for the guy's combo.

I could honestly use another 200HP but it never stops there...and I think I could hit 10's with just a basic blower (6-9psi range) and some better rear tires.

-WP.
Old 10/6/11, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411
I've put about 1500 miles on the mods installed by Brenspeed and myself, and so far I've had no problems, unwanted noises, or issues. Mods are listed in signature. I did hit a bump hard and had an alignment shop check one strut for me - it felt much harder than it was, but the strut was not bent. I don't think I would do anything different. After these mods I only plan on doing a blower and then an engine when the time comes.

Time Updates: We may not get to run again this year so this is how it went for my car:

Best Run this year was 11.9 at 116, and I'll admit I was not driving it, but the car does run 11's with the right driver modification. I think Greg hit a 1.52 60' and had a .1xx reaction time but I can't find the time slip. Some "Mopar" people videotaped it and I sent an email asking for the youtube link and they never responded (bummer).

When I drove:
Best run was just at 12.1 but could not duplicate that run.
Average "hard launch" run is high 12.2 to low 12.3 in the 115 range.
Best 60' was 1.5-ish but I am hitting in the 1.7-1.8 on a regular basis
My average reaction time in the .3-.6 range (not that good)
I have 3.55 gears and like this ratio since I don't peg the red line in 4th at the finish line. With better launches I should be close to hitting the rev limit at the line.

Last night we went out to Lucas Oil Raceway since we figured it would be the last warm day to test (LOR is a.k.a. IRP for the old timers):
DA was 1800' (that's what some guy at the tech inspection lane said)
79 degrees, 62% Humidity
Thought I would try some launches from a standstill without warming up the tires...I just hit the gas when the last yellow was lit...and launched from idle RPMs, traction control on.
1st Run: 12.64 @114mph, 1.9 60', 8.3 sec 1/8th. Nice easy launch, no spinning.
2nd Run: 15.13 @113mph (pulled the shifter out of 1st gear too soon so it was a jacked run, some people got a laugh at the speed vs. time on this run)
3rd Run: 12.41 @ 115mph, 1.8 60', 8.2 1/8th.

Then we left for some dinner and drinks to celebrate for a guy who's GT500 had a catastrophic transmission failure - we drank for him anyways, he was not there with us, but we felt his pain! The car was setup just for drags, full cage, and big power, it locked up at launch and hopped forward about 2', and they couldn't push it off the track .
I'm going to upload time slips as soon as our new server is fixed at the office and can scan them in. I need a camera and way to mount it inside. It would be nice to show some folks how "flat" the car remains during acceleration.

Tires:
NTO5 tires stick good when the track is warm and prepped for the slicks, but when it's cool and they get lazy on the prep, the NT05's will spin like you get on dry pavement during a hard launch stop light race. You have to really warm these up for a good launch but you get another .2 off your time.

NT05R we added to the rears will not spin with my power level while launching from idle. It just chirps and goes.

Steeda Shifter/Barton Shifter Bracket: Great mods and hitting good shifts is easy. I am getting faster but an Automatic may be better for drag racing.

MT82 is holding up well. In fact it shifts better with more abuse and time so who knows. If I add a blower or get full slicks we may end up with a pile of metal pieces.

I may switch to BFGoodrich G-Force tires and I have always been a fan. We'll see next spring where that goes. I was used to launching with them. The Nittos need more warm up - a good 5 count in the burnout box. I remember counting of 1-2-3 for the BFG's and they would stick great.

This years last modifications:
I am installing a Dynatech Driveshaft this weekend, which should be good for another .2 off 1/4 mile times, but we will have to wait until spring for another run.

14" front and rear Wilwood brakes: When I put this up in the garage for the winter I am taking the rear axel out for a rebuild and new brakes, and taking off the front spindles to fit the W6A Wilwood calipers. (a small bit has to be filed or ground off)

Track Time disappointments:
1. I see dozens of new cameros on the street, but have only seen 2 at the track, and they didn't run while I was there.

2. I have not seen any other 5.0 (2011-12) at the track here in Indy. I've only been out 3-4 times this year but still....lets get racing boys and girls!

3. Watching a pimped out 300C with some serious mods kick my *** down the track. He was deep in the 11's. Total sleeper but two thumbs up for the guy's combo.

I could honestly use another 200HP but it never stops there...and I think I could hit 10's with just a basic blower (6-9psi range) and some better rear tires.

-WP.
Nice write-up William... Good read