Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Drawbacks to Superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/10, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out my '10 GT back from its 30day R&D treck at Kenne Bell!

482rwhp!

As promised guys! The car is back from Kenne Bell!!! Here are the Pictures and Dyno Numbers! Enjoy!

Special Thanks to the guys at GTR and Kenne Bell!!!

482rwhp!
Old 7/20/10, 05:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by xkornkidx01
Check out my '10 GT back from its 30day R&D treck at Kenne Bell! . . . .
so now that you've had it for a while, looping back to the original question --

Have you seen any drawbacks?

One obvious one is gas mileage; I know this obviously isn't the main point of the supercharger, but do you have any impression yet on how it impacts MPG?

On the same theme, would you see the blown car as a practical daily driver?
Old 7/20/10, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bert
so now that you've had it for a while, looping back to the original question --

Have you seen any drawbacks?

One obvious one is gas mileage; I know this obviously isn't the main point of the supercharger, but do you have any impression yet on how it impacts MPG?

1. Drawbacks? None!

2. Gas mileage remains the same, I can get about 230miles on one tank, if im not flooring it everywhere I go and just driving normal. But as we all know, all cars lose gas mileage when you floor it, and yes, if im in constant lead foot, i want to boost everywhere I go mode, the gas mileage will significantly drop especially in a turbo or supercharged car.

3. Practical daily driver... Who wouldnt want to drive a mustang everyday? In my honest opinion, there isnt anything practicle about a mustang. But one thing is for sure, I LOVE DRIVING ONE!

Last edited by xkornkidx01; 7/20/10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 7/20/10, 04:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel economy on a supercharged car should remain very close to what it was before the supercharger if driven soft, highway mileage in particular shouldn't go down.

Daily driver status shouldn't be any different than before either, when you keep your foot out of the throttle then it isn't making boost so it will still maintain the same drivability as it had before the supercharger.

This all goes the same for any power adder.
Old 7/20/10, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The fuel economy on a supercharged car should remain very close to what it was before the supercharger if driven soft, highway mileage in particular shouldn't go down.

Daily driver status shouldn't be any different than before either, when you keep your foot out of the throttle then it isn't making boost so it will still maintain the same drivability as it had before the supercharger.

This all goes the same for any power adder.
Yeah, what he said...

Last edited by xkornkidx01; 7/20/10 at 11:52 PM.
Old 7/21/10, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

All in all! My '05 was supercharged and now my '10 is. And im pretty sure every mustang I own from here on out will be... Its just too much fun!!!
Old 7/22/10, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by xkornkidx01
. . . . In my honest opinion, there isnt anything practicle about a mustang . . . .
I guess "practical" depends on what you need from your daily driver . . . for my daily commute to and from work, my GT is 100% practical -- it gets me there and back comfortably, reliably, and with reasonable fuel economy, and makes me look forward to the one-hour-each-way instead of dread it . . . I call that practical! I guess for carrying plywood or a bunch of people it wouldn't be very practical, but that's not what I need from it.

If I was going to do some major mod like a supercharger, I wouldn't want a big penalty in fuel economy or reliability . . . since I would still need to use the car to get back and forth from work . . . sounds like I should expect neither, unless I was racing around all the time.
Old 7/22/10, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess "practical" depends on what you need from your daily driver . . . for my daily commute to and from work, my GT is 100% practical -- it gets me there and back comfortably, reliably, and with reasonable fuel economy, and makes me look forward to the one-hour-each-way instead of dread it . . . I call that practical! I guess for carrying plywood or a bunch of people it wouldn't be very practical, but that's not what I need from it.

If I was going to do some major mod like a supercharger, I wouldn't want a big penalty in fuel economy or reliability . . . since I would still need to use the car to get back and forth from work . . . sounds like I should expect neither, unless I was racing around all the time.
But I do have to disagree on your comment about "If I was going to do some major mod like a supercharger, I wouldn't want a big penalty in fuel economy or reliability" As stated earlier, the car can still be driven daily and have the same gas mileage as it would if there were no supercharger or turbo installed, as long as your not boosting it everywhere you go. Also with regards to reliability, having a supercharger or a turbo are very reliable! The only time any type of forced induction becomes "unreliable" is when people 1. Dont properly maintain it 2. Pushing more boost than required for that particular set up i.e pushing 20 psi without the needed engine work to back up the boost increase, when the kit is made to run at 10psi on stock internals. All in all, my 05 is supercharged and my 10 is supercharged and I drove both to and from work and everywhere else i need to go.
Old 7/23/10, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Fuel economy will suffer alittle with any supercharger, even if you do not go into boost.. because you have the parasitic drag of turning the blower even when you're not using it.

I don't think I've done a full tank without ever going into boost, but my avg mpg has dropped from the low 20's to the high teens. My previous best tank was 29.2mpg and running on the same hwy, the same time of year, after the blower, the best she could muster was 23-24.

That being said, I wouldn't trade the blower for anything except maybe a twin turbo setup.
Old 7/23/10, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Fuel economy will suffer alittle with any supercharger, even if you do not go into boost.. because you have the parasitic drag of turning the blower even when you're not using it.

I don't think I've done a full tank without ever going into boost, but my avg mpg has dropped from the low 20's to the high teens. My previous best tank was 29.2mpg and running on the same hwy, the same time of year, after the blower, the best she could muster was 23-24.

That being said, I wouldn't trade the blower for anything except maybe a twin turbo setup.
To be honest, the only time I think about fuel is when Im filling up and when its empty hahahaha

Last edited by xkornkidx01; 7/23/10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 7/23/10, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol my 05 had a vortech and that was my daily, i loved that car. got great gas mileage and still had 426 rwhp
Old 7/23/10, 01:08 PM
GTR Member

On my 04 after the blower, my city fuel economy did suffer by about 1-2 MPG because it is so hard to stay out of boost under acceleration, especially since the big push in my back feels so good. My highway mileage stayed pretty much the same as before the blower at 25-26 MPG.

With the blower on the car, it's all about self-restraint...
Old 7/23/10, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

^ +1 lol if you can control yourself itll be very little MPG loss for a lot of F(fun lol)PG gain
Old 7/23/10, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
On my 04 after the blower, my city fuel economy did suffer by about 1-2 MPG because it is so hard to stay out of boost under acceleration, especially since the big push in my back feels so good. My highway mileage stayed pretty much the same as before the blower at 25-26 MPG.

With the blower on the car, it's all about self-restraint...
True that! I dont know anyone that can "restrain" themselves with a supercharger or turbo under the hood
Old 7/23/10, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have a supercharged truck and until you guys live with what kinda mpg i get for a month you cant complain lol like 7 mpg city
Old 7/23/10, 04:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
i have a supercharged truck and until you guys live with what kinda mpg i get for a month you cant complain lol like 7 mpg city
Never had my foot in my 99 Lightning that bad, usually about 12-13 in town and 17 highway.
Old 7/23/10, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya im pretty good at keeping my foot out of it, my gf's dad had a nitemare too and he'd fill up every other day a lot of the time lol
Old 7/24/10, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

To be honest... the only time I think about my gas is when Im filling her up and when she's empty... other than that, I just drive the thing...
Old 7/24/10, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

haha same here
Old 7/24/10, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
haha same here
hahahahah!

Quick Reply: Drawbacks to Superchargers?