Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Drawbacks to Superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/10, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drawbacks to Superchargers?

Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to putting a blower on my 2010 GT? I'm going with the Roush M90 which has a 3/36 warranty, so I'm not worried about short term issues. I've heard forced induction can put stress on an engine over the long haul. I don't plan to use any forged internals since the M90 is supposedly a ready to go bolt-on with no further mods needed. I know many of you have superchargers, so what better group to ask? Please let me know what you think...
Old 5/2/10, 03:59 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
speeding tickets. it may also result in donuts like events.
Old 5/2/10, 04:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drawbacks? If you are just going with the basic roushcharger with the standard 5 psi boost, then there are very few drawbacks, none really.

So long as you keep good gas with at least 91 octane then you won't have any problems.

They wouldn't offer a warranty for 3/36 if there were going to be any issues.
Old 5/2/10, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by airforcedefender
Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to putting a blower on my 2010 GT? I'm going with the Roush M90 which has a 3/36 warranty, so I'm not worried about short term issues. I've heard forced induction can put stress on an engine over the long haul. I don't plan to use any forged internals since the M90 is supposedly a ready to go bolt-on with no further mods needed. I know many of you have superchargers, so what better group to ask? Please let me know what you think...
The last supercharger I would put on my car aftermarket would be an Eaton M90.

Old roots-style technology (been around since at least the early 90s). They are inefficient compared to modern 'screw' type s/cs and generally produce more heat at a given boost pressure.

Why they still use them on the GT500 is...

Anyway, do some searches. You've got a lot better options that also keep your full warrantly (or at least the S/C vendor is willing to pick it up). Kits from Saleen, Whipple (through FRPP), etc. Even Roush sells the TVS which is better than the M90.
Old 5/2/10, 06:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2007 GT/CS
The last supercharger I would put on my car aftermarket would be an Eaton M90.

Old roots-style technology (been around since at least the early 90s). They are inefficient compared to modern 'screw' type s/cs and generally produce more heat at a given boost pressure.

Why they still use them on the GT500 is...

Anyway, do some searches. You've got a lot better options that also keep your full warrantly (or at least the S/C vendor is willing to pick it up). Kits from Saleen, Whipple (through FRPP), etc. Even Roush sells the TVS which is better than the M90.
I do believe this guy has decided that on a cost/benefit ratio that the small roushcharger will give him all he is looking for. Other options have been discussed with him in other threads.
Old 5/2/10, 06:26 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
whipple!
Old 5/2/10, 06:28 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
whipple!
TOO MUCH $$$
Old 5/2/10, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

It is all in the tune. Make sure you get a reputable tuner!! Also you can get heat soak depending on how you run your car so an upgraded heat exchanger might be needed.

Who do you plan on doing the tune and installation?
Old 5/2/10, 06:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by todd03blown
It is all in the tune. Make sure you get a reputable tuner!! Also you can get heat soak depending on how you run your car so an upgraded heat exchanger might be needed.

Who do you plan on doing the tune and installation?
The roushcharger comes with a roush tune, you overnight the ECM to them, they flash it and overnight it back to you. He is having a roush dealer do the install to get the warranty.
Old 5/2/10, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

That warranty isn't free, it's added into the price of the blower. IMO, you should spend the extra money on a twin-screw SC (my Kenne Bell is awesome) and get a safe custom tune. I've got over 10k miles on mine in the last year and a half, including about 30 drag strip passes, and it performs flawlessly. It might blow up tomorrow, but my factory warranty is now over anyway.

If you really need the "peace of mind", get the Roush. I bet you end up wanting more power. It's pretty addictive.
Old 5/2/10, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The roushcharger comes with a roush tune, you overnight the ECM to them, they flash it and overnight it back to you. He is having a roush dealer do the install to get the warranty.
Thanks!
Old 5/2/10, 07:31 PM
GTR Member

The roushcharger warranty doesn't cost any extra so long as roush or a roush dealer does the install.
Old 5/2/10, 08:27 PM
V6 Member

My budget for the blower is $6k, including installation. I want a good warranty and don't want to touch the bottom end of the engine just yet. I think that puts the Whipple out of range. Ltngdrvr previously found the Roush online for $4,300, free shipping, and the local Ford dealership will put it on for $800. That's $5100 out the door, plus the M90 can be upgraded without being replaced if I want more power in the future. However, if there is something MUCH better out there for $6k, I'm certainly interested. I'm trying to do my homework online, but the opinion of fellow Mustang owners means much more than a company website.
Old 5/2/10, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

penalty of a basic supercharger= $$, mpg, and more weight over the front end. thats about it.
Old 5/2/10, 09:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I do believe this guy has decided that on a cost/benefit ratio that the small roushcharger will give him all he is looking for. Other options have been discussed with him in other threads.
Sorry, should have stuck to answering the question

Air Force: I've had my Saleen on my car for almost three years as a daily driver and occasional open tracker at a significantly higher power level than you are likely to see with your Roushcharger. Stock bottom end. No problemos.

Three years out is a long time. You may be ready for a new car by then
Old 5/2/10, 09:33 PM
V6 Member

My budget for the blower is $6k, including installation. I want a good warranty and don't want to touch the bottom end of the engine just yet. I think that puts the Whipple out of range. Ltngdrvr previously found the Roush online for $4,300, free shipping, and the local Ford dealership will put it on for $800. That's $5100 out the door, plus the M90 can be upgraded without being replaced if I want more power in the future. However, if there is something MUCH better out there for $6k, I'm certainly interested. I'm trying to do my homework online, but the opinion of fellow Mustang owners means much more than a company website.
I think as mentioned in your other threads, it is definitely worth a call and/or email to JDM or Brenspeed as both of those shops install a variety of FI setups and could give you some additional options/pros and cons. It's a big decision - take your time.

Also, just because a blower is capable of bigger boost doesn't mean you have to run it. Most guys on the safer side (425-450 rwhp) are running 7-10 psi depending - much less than most of the Saleen, Whipple, and KBs are ultimately capable of.
Old 5/2/10, 09:35 PM
GTR Member

There is nothing else out there that meets your warranty requirements for the $$$ you are willing to spend.

Put $1500-$2000 on top of the $6000 and you can have a Saleen or Edelbrock supercharger installed with the 3/36 warranty and a bunch more power and lots more power potential on top of that with future upgrades.
Old 5/6/10, 11:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Ignore everyone who says you have to get a twin screw. Roots blowers and centrifugals are great bang for the buck. Total cost for my Vortech V2 (including all parts, labor, sales tax, dyno tuning, etc.) was $5100. For the price, the M90 Roush blower is not a bad deal. Not everyone wants/needs the 500+ hp of a twin screw, so the M90 is a great, budget blower (like my V2) that will yield 330-350 rwhp with room to upgrade later, if needed.

I crack up everytime someone responds to a thread like this with "I have an 'X' blower, so you should buy an 'X' blower." All the blowers on the market are good. None are bad. Some are better suited to specific goals and intended use, but just because one person has a great blower on their own car doesn't mean it's the right blower for someone else. If the OP has decided on the M90, let's keep the conversation to the M90.

That said, there are no drawbacks to putting on the M90. You'll keep your warranty intact, the car will be much more entertaining to drive, your fuel economy won't suffer much, and your stock short block will be fine as long as the tuning is done properly.
Old 5/7/10, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!
Old 5/7/10, 11:48 PM
GTR Member

So, when do we get to see the installed blower???

We all have precious little patience around here so make it quick!!!

Quick Reply: Drawbacks to Superchargers?