Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Drawbacks to Superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/10, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Ignore everyone who says you have to get a twin screw. Roots blowers and centrifugals are great bang for the buck. Total cost for my Vortech V2 (including all parts, labor, sales tax, dyno tuning, etc.) was $5100. For the price, the M90 Roush blower is not a bad deal. Not everyone wants/needs the 500+ hp of a twin screw, so the M90 is a great, budget blower (like my V2) that will yield 330-350 rwhp with room to upgrade later, if needed.

I crack up everytime someone responds to a thread like this with "I have an 'X' blower, so you should buy an 'X' blower." All the blowers on the market are good. None are bad. Some are better suited to specific goals and intended use, but just because one person has a great blower on their own car doesn't mean it's the right blower for someone else. If the OP has decided on the M90, let's keep the conversation to the M90.

That said, there are no drawbacks to putting on the M90. You'll keep your warranty intact, the car will be much more entertaining to drive, your fuel economy won't suffer much, and your stock short block will be fine as long as the tuning is done properly.
Well said
Old 5/9/10, 06:16 PM
V6 Member

I'm ordering the Roush M90 from Yates Performance this week along with the Roush Stage 3 Suspension package. It will take a week to get here, then about 10 days to install with the PCM being shipped to Roush and back. I'll post pics when done!
Old 5/9/10, 06:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by airforcedefender
I'm ordering the Roush M90 from Yates Performance this week along with the Roush Stage 3 Suspension package. It will take a week to get here, then about 10 days to install with the PCM being shipped to Roush and back. I'll post pics when done!
10 days to install???

PCM return takes about 3 days max, they give you an overnight box to send it in and they overnight it back to you so install should be 4 days max.
Old 5/9/10, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've done an M90 roushcharger install, everything is very straightforward, but you have to "massage" some of the stock parts such as alternator and one bracket with a grinder. The hardest part of the install was relocating the wiring with minimal strain on the wires/connections. Other than that everything was a breeze. Take your time, follow the directions, and you'll be fine.

The tune that Roush supplies will keep your engine in good shape for a long time, it's pretty conservative.
Old 5/9/10, 11:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I've done an M90 roushcharger install, everything is very straightforward, but you have to "massage" some of the stock parts such as alternator and one bracket with a grinder. The hardest part of the install was relocating the wiring with minimal strain on the wires/connections. Other than that everything was a breeze. Take your time, follow the directions, and you'll be fine.

The tune that Roush supplies will keep your engine in good shape for a long time, it's pretty conservative.
The 2010 version of the M90 Roushcharger is now plug-and-play, has pre-terminated wiring harness extensions so no modifications or stretching of the stock harness is needed.

This is another reason the install should not take that long.
Old 5/10/10, 12:57 PM
V6 Member

It comes back to warranty. If I install it myself, Roush won't honor the 3/36. It has to be done by a Roush "Certified" installer and here in Cheyenne, WY, that's the Ford dealership. It's not going to take ten days to install, but I'll be out of town all next week, so the dealership will have the car part of this week (if the blower gets here) and all of next week.
Old 5/10/10, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by airforcedefender
It comes back to warranty. If I install it myself, Roush won't honor the 3/36. It has to be done by a Roush "Certified" installer and here in Cheyenne, WY, that's the Ford dealership. It's not going to take ten days to install, but I'll be out of town all next week, so the dealership will have the car part of this week (if the blower gets here) and all of next week.
Then relax, and enjoy your new supercharger
Old 6/2/10, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed on the installation instructions that they use the old air intake box. Has anyone used the bullit cai with the new roush m90 installation?
Old 6/2/10, 08:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by data174
I noticed on the installation instructions that they use the old air intake box. Has anyone used the bullit cai with the new roush m90 installation?
You could but then you would need a custom tune as the Roush tune is for the OEM air box.
Old 6/3/10, 12:58 PM

Dunno, but Roush does sell a CAI for their unit
Old 6/9/10, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll let you know if there are any drawbacks, once I get my car back from Kenne Bell... But highly doubt there will be any, other than increased rear tire wear
Old 6/9/10, 12:18 PM

Drawback = bank account depleted faster
Old 6/9/10, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Drawback = bank account depleted faster
True, but if you got the money to make the purchase... then why not...
Old 6/9/10, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Drawbacks = tires turn into expensive smoke really quick!
Old 6/9/10, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Only drawback to installing mine was the permanent smile on my face every time I drive it
Old 6/9/10, 01:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Ignore everyone who says you have to get a twin screw. Roots blowers and centrifugals are great bang for the buck. Total cost for my Vortech V2 (including all parts, labor, sales tax, dyno tuning, etc.) was $5100. For the price, the M90 Roush blower is not a bad deal. Not everyone wants/needs the 500+ hp of a twin screw, so the M90 is a great, budget blower (like my V2) that will yield 330-350 rwhp with room to upgrade later, if needed.

I crack up everytime someone responds to a thread like this with "I have an 'X' blower, so you should buy an 'X' blower." All the blowers on the market are good. None are bad. Some are better suited to specific goals and intended use, but just because one person has a great blower on their own car doesn't mean it's the right blower for someone else. If the OP has decided on the M90, let's keep the conversation to the M90.

That said, there are no drawbacks to putting on the M90. You'll keep your warranty intact, the car will be much more entertaining to drive, your fuel economy won't suffer much, and your stock short block will be fine as long as the tuning is done properly.
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my GT - the M90. Thought it was the right amount of HP for the engine. I think this topic is great, because I haven't done enough reseach, and I like ready what you guys have to say.

Off subject, but what do you think of the Ford Racing Power Pack Intake/Throttle Body/Camshafts? Do I have to add the Camshafts? Am I better off saving my money for the M90?
Old 6/10/10, 11:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I was thinking of doing the same thing to my GT - the M90. Thought it was the right amount of HP for the engine. I think this topic is great, because I haven't done enough reseach, and I like ready what you guys have to say.

Off subject, but what do you think of the Ford Racing Power Pack Intake/Throttle Body/Camshafts? Do I have to add the Camshafts? Am I better off saving my money for the M90?
I'd love to add the FRPP Power Pack to my '07. I think with a centrifugal blower, this would be a great pacakge. Naturally aspirated with minor bolts on, and it might not provide big gains without doing the cams. IMO, the factory intake manifold and throttle body are not restrictions to airflow until you do heads/cams/blowers/etc.
Old 6/11/10, 12:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Gas mileage and speeding tickets.
Old 6/17/10, 06:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by super6stang
Gas mileage and speeding tickets.
how big a gas mileage hit would you expect for a mild blower like the M90?
Old 6/17/10, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

The great thing about adding this type of supercharger is the ability to still get good gas mileage as the only time you are in boost is under heavy acceleration. With my E-force, I can easily get in the low 20s, but what fun is that as I typically average in the upper teens as I installed this to have some fun... and not baby the car

Quick Reply: Drawbacks to Superchargers?