Notices
Kona Blue Kona Blue 2010+ Mustangs

my mustang has FINALLY arrived! hello from a total newbie

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/11, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paesce
haha...alright. well I have to say at the moment in city driving the display is mostly indicating mileages of like 11-12 mpg. and this even though I'm trying to keep the rpm's low al the time since I'm also want to break the car in decently. but I guess this is just because it's so new and will get better after some time, right?
The dash display is always off a little. I calculated it manually once and it was off by about 2mpg. 11-12mpg is not uncommon if you're in stop n go traffic. I average half city n highway on my daily commute and at the end of my tank the dash is usually around 15.9mpg. I'm running 3.73's and a 93 tune though which decreases my mpgs a bit. Add in the difference its off by and that's not too bad. Have fun with that car! Do what I do sometimes and shut the display off lol. Not sure if you have MT, but I always shift 1-3-5 or 2-4-6 while driving around town. That will help conserve a little.
Old 9/1/11, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info and the advice! I do have a manual and I think I have the 3.55s. well I just think the difference between city and highway is pretty big and today I got the worst figures so far because every red light I came across I had to stopp and there was just lots of traffic, so extremely stop and go. last sunday I did a trip with mostly highway driving and then I had an average of about 21 mpg.
I will try to experiment with the said gear jumps and sometimes I also notice the skip **** makes me shifting from 1st into 4th.
Old 9/1/11, 03:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info and the advice! I do have a manual and I think I have the 3.55s. well I just think the difference between city and highway is pretty big and today I got the worst figures so far because every red light I came across I had to stopp and there was just lots of traffic, so extremely stop and go. last sunday I did a trip with mostly highway driving and then I had an average of about 21 mpg.
I will try to experiment with the said gear jumps and sometimes I also notice the skip **** makes me shifting from 1st into 4th.
21's not bad. Once you get used to it more you'll find what works best to get decent mileage while still having fun. You can look under the car at the rear end housing facing the rear of the car and there should be a label with your gear ratio. There's ways around skip shift too, other than tuning. Google it, some people just disconnect it.
Old 9/2/11, 01:08 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
hi y'all!
on friday august 26 I finally took delivery of my 2012 mustang GT.
haha...alright. well I have to say at the moment in city driving the display is mostly indicating mileages of like 11-12 mpg.
WOO HOO!!! Congrats, paesce! That is one gorgeous ride you got there! Also, your MPG will get better the more you drive it and it recognizes your driving habits. Please, continue to enjoy your ride! And we all know what you'll be thinking while you drive...

Deysha
Old 9/7/11, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

Talking

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
WOO HOO!!! Congrats, paesce! That is one gorgeous ride you got there! Also, your MPG will get better the more you drive it and it recognizes your driving habits. Please, continue to enjoy your ride! And we all know what you'll be thinking while you drive...

Deysha

hi deysha,
thank you very much for your comment and the information! sounds really good to me and my city mpg has already gotten some better.
I also think my car is really gorgeous and what I also really like about it is how nice it stands out here in the swiss traffic which is dominated by BMW's, Audis, VW's, Porsches, Maseratis, Ferraris... there is loads of fancy european cars here but not many mustangs. so in zurich, the mustang is the exotic car. so yeah, you're totally right with your guess about what I'm thinking when I'm driving it.
plus, the mustang just sounds so much better than all of them!
Old 9/8/11, 01:22 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
hi deysha,
thank you very much for your comment and the information! sounds really good to me and my city mpg has already gotten some better.
I also think my car is really gorgeous and what I also really like about it is how nice it stands out here in the swiss traffic which is dominated by BMW's, Audis, VW's, Porsches, Maseratis, Ferraris... there is loads of fancy european cars here but not many mustangs. so in zurich, the mustang is the exotic car. so yeah, you're totally right with your guess about what I'm thinking when I'm driving it.
plus, the mustang just sounds so much better than all of them!
It suuuuure does!!! Lol!! Enjoy and again, congrats!!!

Deysha
Old 9/8/11, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Great new ride, i enjoyed reading your story, Mustang gotta luv that V8
Old 9/13/11, 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a cool write up...When I lived in Germany from 89 - 92, I had my Fox body 86 GT with me and loved driving around town and seeing all the people gawk. I also love driving the autobahn as fast as she could go (which wasn't all that fast)...but the attention that I got from the locals was awesome. Germans just loved it...anyway, congrats on your new dream machine...be safe and enjoy...Lou
Old 9/16/11, 01:46 PM
V6 Member

thanks, I'm glad that people like my write up!

I just came back from a nice friday night cruise now, I just wanted to drive the stang a bit out of town. it's a nice evening here and when I was driving, I noticed very surprising big amount of american cars on the streets, much more than you you usually see here. I saw other mustangs of different generations, new challengers, escalades...and even an F-150 which is a car that is almost non existent in switzerland. I almost felt like being back to the USA )

one question: how long do you guys consider the break in period of your new mustangs? I now have about 700 miles or so on the clock and for the moment I am still keeping the revs quite low.
Old 9/16/11, 01:48 PM
V6 Member

I just came back from a nice friday night cruise now, I just wanted to drive the stang a bit out of town. it's a nice evening here and when I was driving, I noticed very surprising big amount of american cars on the streets, much more than you you usually see here. I saw other mustangs of different generations, new challengers, escalades...and even an F-150 which is a car that is almost non existent in switzerland. I almost felt like being back to the USA )

one question: how long do you guys consider the break in period of your new mustangs? I now have about 700 miles or so on the clock and for the moment I am still keeping the revs quite low.
Old 9/16/11, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Dass ist ein Schöner Wagen. Tolle farbe. Hab viel spass damit
Old 9/16/11, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

From what I understand, today's new engines do not require a substantial break in…personally, I would change the oil at a 1000 miles using a full synthetic and open her up.
Old 9/18/11, 05:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by R3troGT
Dass ist ein Schöner Wagen. Tolle farbe. Hab viel spass damit
oh wow, deutsch! danke vielmals und ja, ich habe definitiv spass damit

regarding the break in period, I just saw in the manual it says it's about 100 miles and my dealer said I should break it in for like 1000 miles which is a big difference. maybe the truth lies somewhere in between
Old 9/18/11, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
awesome car... to break the engine in CORRECTLY you need to vary the RPMS... aka do not drive it at constant RPMS for a long time... give it full throttle, let it reach 7,000 rpm every so often... the engine needs to be worked in at different and varying RPMS... if you look at your cars manual you will see them talking about this.
Old 9/21/11, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

AWESOME CAR. Looks a whole hell of a lot like mine...again awesome. Thanks for supporting the American economy. Enjoy your beast, I know I will.
Old 10/1/11, 09:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by eric n
AWESOME CAR. Looks a whole hell of a lot like mine...again awesome. Thanks for supporting the American economy. Enjoy your beast, I know I will.
supporting the american economy was actually one of the reasons for me to buy a mustang. I also use kiehls skincare products and today I shopped at american apparel...so you see, I'm serious!

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
awesome car... to break the engine in CORRECTLY you need to vary the RPMS... aka do not drive it at constant RPMS for a long time... give it full throttle, let it reach 7,000 rpm every so often... the engine needs to be worked in at different and varying RPMS... if you look at your cars manual you will see them talking about this.
thanks...yes I read that too. I know have about 450 miles on the clock and I never had more than like 3500 rpm. I think it's about time to open it up now...
Old 10/3/11, 04:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
nice car man! Love it! Can't wait to get mine. BTW, do you have the GT front fascia or is that just what it came with?
Old 10/8/11, 10:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLASS ROOF?
Old 10/12/11, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
nice car man! Love it! Can't wait to get mine. BTW, do you have the GT front fascia or is that just what it came with?
thanks! you will be loving it, I can tell you. well that front fascia is the one it came with, it's just the one that is standard on the GT's I guess. I think I don't really understand your question..

Originally Posted by TOGAN
GLASS ROOF?
no, I don't have the glassroof. this is one option I didn't want cause I couldn't see the point in it, it's quite expensive and also adds a lot of weight to the car..
Old 10/13/11, 06:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

thanks! you will be loving it, I can tell you. well that front fascia is the one it came with, it's just the one that is standard on the GT's I guess. I think I don't really understand your question..

I meant is ur front fascia splitter not the added gt/cs option. It doesn't look like it. I was debating paying extra for the gtcs fascia splitter...but after seeing urs, it looks great without it. Mine will look just like urs. I have the bbk pkg too.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/13/11 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: my mustang has FINALLY arrived! hello from a total newbie