Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

WAHOO! Goin to see ALMS May 20-22

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/05, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll probably hang out around turns 7 and 8, and wander down through Thunder Valley.

Or do you mean the new place? It's on N. Prospect, between Frazee and Poe. It's a shorter walk home from the bars, and has a garage, which the Stang is looking forward to next winter.
Old 4/24/05, 10:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

nice....my friend lives on frazee in the big 4 story complex there
Old 4/25/05, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

My new place is basically a 3-car garage with a 3 bedroom apartment built above it. I was expecting it to be a crackhouse for the price, but it's actually pretty decent. I looked into Varsity Square, but all they had right now were 1 and 2 bedrooms, and I needed 3. As it is, I have to be out of here on the 11th, and don't get the new place until the 20th.
Old 4/28/05, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like Audi may have some competition in LMP1:
ALMS - Zytek Prototype to Race at Mid-Ohio
Written by: RACER staff London, UK – 4/28/2005

The Spa-winning Zytek LMP1 prototype (LAT Photo)

The expanding ALMS field is set to receive another addition for the May 22 Mid-Ohio round, as the works team from British manufacturer Zytek intends to place a one-off LMP1 entry at the traditional Sports Car Course.

Winner of the 1000 Kilometers of Spa earlier this month, the Le Mans Endurance Series regulars are close to finalizing their Mid-Ohio plans, according to this week’s Autosport magazine. The squad, which has missed out on an invitation for June’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, would resume its LMES activities afterwards.

The likely driver lineup would be comprised of Briton Tom Chilton, who was tipped to steer one of the Zytek-run MG Rover DTM cars prior to the British automaker’s bankruptcy announced last week, and Japanese Hayanari Shimoda, currently without a full-time ride after the Super Nova GP2 team decided to go with Giorgio Pantano and Adam Carroll.
Old 4/29/05, 05:30 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
OK . . I have tried to do some due diligence on Zytek/MG in DTM a few months ago. MG runs a Ford engine in some of their street cars so is the Zytek motor, based on the Ford DOHC? Or am I WAY off base with this assumption?
Old 4/29/05, 05:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you are spot on. In the top of the Range MG-ZTT, they use the Mustang 4.6L engine. They even leave the pony badge on the intake cover!
Old 5/10/05, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Still looks like I'll be able to go on Sunday, although Saturday's looking pretty iffy, with the moving and all. Even if I can't see the SWCGT race on Saturday, I'm looking forward to the Touring cars, as well as the ALMS. They're also running races for Formula BMW, which was pretty entertaining last year at the USGP, as well as Porsche GT3 Cup and Formula Fords. If anyone else is going, we should make plans to meet up. Especially OOStangGT, since we live in the same town.
Old 5/17/05, 05:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

So, are you guys still going?
Old 5/17/05, 05:31 PM
Post *****

No . . not going to make it . . .saving funds for my wedding, and the Grand-Am weekend at Barbers in July. But I have been known to change my mind at the last minute.
Old 5/21/05, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Having heard the Zytec in person today, I can definitely say that the engine is in no way related to the 4.6. They set a new track record somewhere in the 1:11.4s in qualifying. The Mazda, while nowhere near as fast, sure did sound sexy.

The Star Mazda and SWC GT races were good enough to watch again when SPEED gets around to showing them.
Old 5/22/05, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, whadya know... I went to watch an ALMS parade and a race broke out. I'll need to watch again on my DVR to figure out everything that happened, like how the Zytec went from the lead to a lap down, and what happened to the two leading P2s. (I saw exactly what happened to the Mazda.) It was a good bit of pit strategy by the ACEMCO guys that put the Saleen into the GT2 lead, too bad he couldn't hold it. At least the weather held out almost to the end. I decided to watch the last half hour or so from the hill above the Keyhole, just to be close to where I parked. Pretty glad I did.
Old 5/22/05, 03:55 PM
Post *****

Dan-

So . . no moving today?! I watched most of that race. The more I watched the more I wish I would have went. How about the Maserati's blind-spots!! Seems like the Maserati cut down on about 4-5 cars during the day. But man . . .it did look sweet.

At the beginning of the race Ralph (broadcaster) mentioned that the Zytek had a 3.4 N/A V8. I have no idea what block the engine is based on. And you're right . . .sure didn't sound like a 4.6 based engine. You have any thoughts before I use a good portion of the day tomorrow searching.

Of course the other announcer stated the Silver Saleen type 'Mustang' was in the lead for GT1 when they came on the air at 1:00pm. I got a good laugh out of that.

Glad you have a good time Dan!!
Old 5/23/05, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

The moving was pretty much done by Friday night. Now I just have to unpack at some point...
I caught Ralph's little Faux-pas about the Saleen "Mustang" too. It seemed like fairly shoddy coverage compared to SPEED, which is interesting, since it seemed to be recorded and produced by SPEED, judging by the camera crews. They completely missed the part of the race where the Saleen was leading GT1. Then agian, they did explain how the Zytec went a lap down, which I completely missed. It was good to see the Dyson cars get a win, although I would have liked to see them have to fight for it. I was happy to see the Mazda get their first win in LMP2, although it was kind of crappy how it happened. Hopefully they'll get some more speed out of the car by the time the Penskes Porsches show up.
Old 5/25/05, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dude the weekend was freakin awesome....there was a crash in the Star Mazda Series atop the esses and the dude flipped like twice. It was awesome. I also got to see the crash between the Panoz and the Audi R8. Most of the race I sat on the hill just next to turn 1 able to see the keyhole and the entrance to the esses. From there I went to the keyhole hill for the Porsche Cup Race (in the rain; it was awesome for my first rain race)
Old 5/27/05, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was right there on top of turn 8 when the Star Mazda crashed. It's a good thing they moved the wall back. If that happened last year, it could have been really ugly. If you were outside turn 1 most of the race, I probably walked by you a few times. But the only time I saw you last weekend was when you passed my coming out of Portage on the way home. If you stood on the Keyhole hill for the Porsche race, you're more of a trooper than me. I was down there for the last 15 minutes or so of the ALMS, and headed home after that. Usually I stay for the last support race, which lets the traffic thin out, but it was darn cold up there. I guess I should get extra points for watching SCCA club racing in snow and 40mph winds at Gingerman a couple weeks ago.