TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Click Here
Old 4/19/06, 03:03 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Who will be the first domino to fall?

With the 'car of the future' coming, and IF (this has been out there for a while now) one manufacturer pulls out, this should pave the way for (even more) ALL SPEC NEXTEL CUP!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Want to bet it's Ford?!

http://www.autoextremist.com/page3.shtml#fumes
Old 4/19/06, 04:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bet its either Ford, GM or Dodge.

Seriously, my guess would probably be Ford, but one of the other twop wouldn't surprise me much either.
Old 4/19/06, 10:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

more then likely it will be GM......since they're in big financial trouble and are shelling out money like crazy to the absurd number of teams running chevys and paying a cool million per race for the pace car.

They're loosing too much money outside of Nascar to support the Nascar spending.

However; that site doesn't strike me as anything authoratative.
Old 4/20/06, 06:24 AM
Post *****

Nah . . I'll bet a TMS T-Shirt it's going to be Ford.

And AE has been 'on the money' on numerous topics in the past. I trust their inside information over any other site I've run across . . .
Old 4/20/06, 07:27 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting, now if Ford or GM leaves, does this speed up the chance the Honda will jump in to challenge Toyota's new Cup teams next year?
Old 4/20/06, 09:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
then soon nissan will join and then all the domestics will leave and nascar will be the japanese big three.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Knight @ April 20, 2006, 11:59 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
then soon nissan will join and then all the domestics will leave and nascar will be the japanese big three.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

And then Kia will join too. Imagine all the races they'll win with this beast
Old 4/20/06, 11:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh I hope it is Ford. Darn I despise NASCAR! I used to like it but that was back when they still were running the Thunderbird and it LOOKED like a T-bird not some blob with grille and taillamp decals!

BTW Pete DeLorenzo and Company are nearly always correct.
Old 4/21/06, 12:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this rumour has validity I say bravo Ford. NASCAR was once the great American automtive racing venue. (considering the vested interest GM has in the series and how recent DCX's entrance back into the series was I cannot imagine that this would be anyone but Ford pulling out) Now it's little more than the automotive equivelant of wrestling.
Old 4/21/06, 01:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jsaylor @ April 21, 2006, 2:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
) Now it's little more than the automotive equivelant of wrestling.
[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/werd.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 06:04 PM
Cobra Member

First, you need to understand my position. I have had a pay-to-play NASCAR fantasy league on the web since 1998. Ever since they announced the COT (Car of Tomorrow) I was sick to my stomach (not that today's cars even remotely resemble their street versions).

I've always enjoyed the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thang, but at this point, with the direction they've taken, I could care less about any extra income I make from my website. The France family has gone too far.

I really enjoy the Grand-Am Cup series... and not JUST because of the Mustang, but because you're watching cars that are closer to what you can buy at the dealership.
Old 4/23/06, 02:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

eh AE is a farce; they're so anti Nascar that they'd make anything to forward their agenda.

UPDATE 2 - Comments from all 3: Reports that one of Detroit's Big Three auto manufacturersmay be considering dropping out of NASCAR racing swirled through the Cup garage, possibly stemming from the report that Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team) program may be shut down in October. But Ford's Kevin Kennedy, the company's public-affairs manager for racing, said that there are no plans to get out of NASCAR: "We've seen that story, and I can assure you Ford does not plan on getting out of NASCAR. Our racing program has support at the highest levels of the company, and our research and data has shown conclusively that there's a viable business case for us being involved in the sport in terms of our market share and purchase consideration among race fans. Racing is part of the Ford DNA and has been since Henry Ford raced back in 1901."
General Motors' Pat Suhy, the company's NASCAR director, said that GM isn't leaving, either: "We're here in NASCAR and we're here to stay. It makes good business sense for us to be here. We get a great return on our investment. We have a lot of activation around this around the country with our dealers and our regional dealer groups. And we have great sponsorship partners with our teams. So if there is any truth to that, I don't know about it, and it certainly isn't us."
Ray Evernham, owner of the season's winningest operation, which is sponsored by Dodge dealers, said: "I can't speak for Dodge, but I can tell you I know they're happy. If you look at their stock, it's up. And they're the only American manufacturer with an increase in market share. I've got a really long-term contract with them, and if I were a betting man, I'd bet it's not Daimler."(Winston Salem Journal)(4-22-2006)

Dodge Comments on rumor: COMMENT ON WEB SITE REPORT THAT ONE OF THE BIG THREE MANUFACTURERS IS GOING TO LEAVE NASCAR
John Fernandez, Director of Dodge Motorsports Operations: "I've heard the rumor, but obviously we're not involved in it. I haven't heard anything from General Motors or Ford that indicates they're in any jeopardy. Obviously their total companies right now are having a tough time in the marketplace, but that's happened before and it'll happen again I'm sure. As far as I know, GM and Ford are still committed to NASCAR and committed to racing in the Cup Series. As far as I know right now it's only a rumor."(Clear!Blue/Dodge PR)(4-22-2006)
Old 4/23/06, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NASCAR is 99% of the way to a spec-car series as it is, I am all for closing the chapter on this story and just do a spec-engine/chassis/body series.. oh yeah, they got that already and it's called IROC! Ok, let's just move the IROC cars to NASCAR and call it a day already. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 03:38 PM
Post *****

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00StangGT @ April 23, 2006, 4:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
eh AE is a farce; they're so anti Nascar that they'd make anything to forward their agenda.

UPDATE 2 - Comments from all 3: Reports that one of Detroit's Big Three auto manufacturersmay be considering dropping out of NASCAR racing swirled through the Cup garage, possibly stemming from the report that Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team) program may be shut down in October. But Ford's Kevin Kennedy, the company's public-affairs manager for racing, said that there are no plans to get out of NASCAR: "We've seen that story, and I can assure you Ford does not plan on getting out of NASCAR. Our racing program has support at the highest levels of the company, and our research and data has shown conclusively that there's a viable business case for us being involved in the sport in terms of our market share and purchase consideration among race fans. Racing is part of the Ford DNA and has been since Henry Ford raced back in 1901."
General Motors' Pat Suhy, the company's NASCAR director, said that GM isn't leaving, either: "We're here in NASCAR and we're here to stay. It makes good business sense for us to be here. We get a great return on our investment. We have a lot of activation around this around the country with our dealers and our regional dealer groups. And we have great sponsorship partners with our teams. So if there is any truth to that, I don't know about it, and it certainly isn't us."
Ray Evernham, owner of the season's winningest operation, which is sponsored by Dodge dealers, said: "I can't speak for Dodge, but I can tell you I know they're happy. If you look at their stock, it's up. And they're the only American manufacturer with an increase in market share. I've got a really long-term contract with them, and if I were a betting man, I'd bet it's not Daimler."(Winston Salem Journal)(4-22-2006)
Dodge Comments on rumor: COMMENT ON WEB SITE REPORT THAT ONE OF THE BIG THREE MANUFACTURERS IS GOING TO LEAVE NASCAR
John Fernandez, Director of Dodge Motorsports Operations: "I've heard the rumor, but obviously we're not involved in it. I haven't heard anything from General Motors or Ford that indicates they're in any jeopardy. Obviously their total companies right now are having a tough time in the marketplace, but that's happened before and it'll happen again I'm sure. As far as I know, GM and Ford are still committed to NASCAR and committed to racing in the Cup Series. As far as I know right now it's only a rumor."(Clear!Blue/Dodge PR)(4-22-2006)
[/b][/quote]

You think someone would have stated . ."Yup, . . we're out!"?

And what's AE agenda again?
Old 4/24/06, 11:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got to be Dodge. They have many teams that aren't happy with their cars nose, Penske had been running the Intrepid until they were politely told NO MORE! last week. Michael Waltrip won't even say Napa Dodge cause they are going to Toyota next year. Gm and Ford want to beat the tar out of them "Tie'otas" next year and I think you will see a new level of teamwork between all the Detroit automaker teams. Should be a great year and an exciting one too!
Old 4/24/06, 11:49 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking Chevy because of the comment that the company "has been contemplating its departure from the racing series for some time"

I thought that would rule out Dodge since they just got back into NASCAR.