Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

No more Ford GTs in Le Mans?

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/11, 01:06 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
No more Ford GTs in Le Mans?

http://jalopnik.com/5846499/no-more-ford-gts-in-le-mans

American Le Mans Series privateers Dave and Andrea Robertson are apparently ready to pack it in. That means we may have seen the last of the Ford GT, a car Ford never intended to go racing, on a competitive racetrack. That's just sad.
Old 10/5/11, 01:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know Ford was competing at LeMans.

Were they any good?
Old 10/5/11, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to the Baltimore Gran Prix a few weeks ago for the ALMS race, and was severely disappointed to see no GTs into the running. Yeah, it was cool to see Porsche GT3s ad nauseum, BMW M3s, and factory Chevy Corvette C6-Rs, but I wanted to see some of the sexiest car ever made, the Ford GT.

Bummer.

JR
Old 10/5/11, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford is not competing. The owners of the GT were the only thing keeping it going. Ford wanted nothing to do with them. I know Ford doesn't sell the GT anymore and the Mustang is spread thin in just about every series BUT Le Mans. So it truly is a sad sight. I can see the argument on both sides but it is still sad to see it go. It's possible they have one more season but that's it.

Adding to the spread thin. Porsche runs a 911 in nearly every category of racing possible. Same with the M3 and I say this as an M3 fanboi, I think the world stage is ALMS. Look at Chevrolet and the Corvette. This is NASCAR but so much more. The Mustang needs to bust in on the ALMS, and if it sounds as glorious as a Panoz then I will completely support it. The Boss was built to destroy the M3, now crush it in every series it competes in. Except DTM.
Old 10/6/11, 04:56 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Red Star
I didn't know Ford was competing at LeMans.

Were they any good?
They scored a podium 3rd place in the GTE class this past Le Mans.
Old 10/6/11, 05:09 AM
Post *****

Perhaps Matech will keep Ford GT alive . . .in GTE. And I agree Daft Stig . . . it would be nice to see a Mustang program for ALMS/Le Mans. The last true effort (for Le Mans) was the old Saleen SRs.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ches-ford-gte/

Old 10/7/11, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Perhaps Matech will keep Ford GT alive . . .in GTE. And I agree Daft Stig . . . it would be nice to see a Mustang program for ALMS/Le Mans. The last true effort (for Le Mans) was the old Saleen SRs.
Yeah, I remember the Saleen. That was a good effort and I realize that the Mustang going Le Mans is a bit of a pipe dream but there are plenty of competing cars in the same class with the Boss. Ferrari and Aston Martin have opened the field up a bit which is nice. And every year it seems like there is a new Porsche GT3 team.

I think that Matech can keep the GT alive but the support just isn't there. So even their time will run out eventually. Funny that the Robertson's GT was using a Cammer 5.0 according to the article, the same engine in the FR500 and Boss 302R. Just sayin'.

I know it's probably easier to support NASCAR teams as a manufacturer but still, many of these teams just need a helping hand. The Corvette always struggled in it's early road racing series in the 60's and 70's, but the car kept getting better after the 90's and then decemated in the 2000's. Chevy kept that support up because they knew they were going to make up for lost time. The C5.R and C6.R have proven their worth.

Not that I keep meaning to go back to Chevrolet or anything, just making some connections. Not that the Corvette or Mustang are the same car at all. But the M3 certainly is in the same league, some could argue the Boss and the 911 are in the same league now too. Different cars but performance is a good match up.

Oh well, I can always hope. Maybe Ford just sees the Mustang as to broad, but that's what the different models are for. Boss for road racing, Cobra for drag racing, Mustang brand for Nascar. Well, maybe that was easier than I thought. BOSS LM (Le Mans) Zing!