Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Could Roush drop to three teams in 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/11, 04:43 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could Roush drop to three teams in 2012?

Could Roush drop to three teams in 2012?: this week Jack Roush addressed the topic of Rosuh Fenway Racing dropping from a four-car to a three-car team in a SiriusXM Satellite Radio interview. "We're looking for a sponsor for #6-David (Ragan), but right now I can't tell you who that's gonna be," Roush told host Claire B. Lang. "I'll say that I'm not real close on it. So David has not been encouraged to not talk to other teams going forward for things that they might have or an interest because right now I don't see how I'm gonna run the fourth car unless things turn dramatically." #16-Greg Biffle, #99-Carl Edwards and #17-Matt Kenseth are RFR's other Cup drivers. Roush said he expected to remain active in the Nationwide Series but more likely with two cars than three. He has self-funded in large part the programs of Trevor Bayne (who won the Daytona 500) and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (who is on pace to win the Nationwide title), and even Edwards hasn't had full backing.(Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)(10-7-2011)
Old 10/8/11, 02:20 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

UPDATE: Roush concedes that, while he is still looking for a sponsor to keep Ragan in his current ride, there are still no great prospects. And Roush says he's told Ragan to start looking for a new deal, because without major sponsorship Roush says he won't be able to run four full-time Cup teams in 2012. Speculation is that Ragan could be penciled in for a ride with Kevin Buckler [#71 TRG Ford], the sports car racer turned NASCAR team owner, and a Ford man. But Ragan himself says he's focused more on finishing this season as strongly as he can. "Right now I am not focused on 2012 just yet," Ragan says. "I think it's important for us to finish this season strong. And the stronger we can finish 2011, that will only help our chances of finding a sponsor and a package to go racing next year. Everyone at Roush Fenway is working hard at selling sponsors for us and for Matt. They have to sell some sponsorships for us to go racing next year. Jack has always done a good job of selling our race cars. Even though it's come to the last minute, we have confidence we'll be out on the track racing (next season). And hopefully we can find a partner we can announce, sooner rather than later.(MikeMulhern.net)(10-8-2011)
Old 10/8/11, 02:21 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I really don't get this ...

Roush is one of top teams in NASCAR - why are they having issues with sponsors in both Sprint and Nationwide series? Teams much less successfull are able to find sponsors ...
Old 10/8/11, 02:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I don't know, something real fishy going on with that. Of course, it was the end of the world when Roush was a 5-car team but NASCAR wouldn't lift a finger if Jack had to contract down to 1 team or even sell off.
Old 10/8/11, 04:59 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
I really don't get this ...

Roush is one of top teams in NASCAR - why are they having issues with sponsors in both Sprint and Nationwide series? Teams much less successfull are able to find sponsors ...
Costs and relationships can go a long way in determining a sponsor(s) efforts and participation.
Old 10/8/11, 06:30 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Agreed Capri.

Plus nobody is pushing down doors to sponsor David Ragan. You've got to have a name now whether it's a winning name or just a celebrity name like Jr. and Danica.

Who wouldn't want to sponsor this...

From a marketing standpoint.
Old 10/9/11, 12:59 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Drivers who do start & park have sponsors these days ...

And Ricky Stenhouse Jr., who's leading Nationwide series, and Ragan and Bayne, who won both Daytona races this year, don't.