Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

NASCAR FR9 Engine Update

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/09, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NASCAR FR9 Engine Update

http://www.fordracing.com/news/detail/?article=37038

Brian Wolfe believes our current piece is completely competitive vrs Dodge, Toyota and Chevy NASCAR engines and they don't want to rush using the new engine. I believe this is a dollars and cents issue after reading this update. I don't think Brian has watched any races this year. If he had, he'd see the Chevy teams driving away from us on every straight.

Good news is the plate version of the engine will be in certain cars at Talladega.
Old 10/23/09, 03:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This season is pretty much over, testing should begin now for 2010 season.

From Jayski:
New Ford Engine to debut at Talladega: After months of anticipation, Ford Racing announced that the FR9 engine will make its debut under the hood of Matt Kenseth's #17 DeWalt Ford Fusion and David Ragan's #6 UPS Ford Fusion in next week's Amp Energy 500 at Talladega Superspeedway. "I'm very excited about the debut of the FR9," said Brian Wolfe, director, Ford North America Motorsports. "All of us are anxious to see it in competition for the first time. Those of us who have been involved in this project agree that one of the biggest hurdles we've faced in making this transition to the FR9 this year has been the fact the current Ford engine is still so competitive, along with the economics of obsoleting the inventory of the current engine and parts. This has been a tough year for us and our teams on the track, especially since we had such a strong 2008, and the priority for everyone this year has been solving the on-track performance, which has slowed down the rollout of the FR9."
Code-named FR9, this new piece is the first purpose-built NASCAR racing engine to ever come out of Ford Motor Company. Its design has been spearheaded and developed by famed engine builder Doug Yates and Ford Racing engineer David Simon. "This puts us on a level playing field with the rest of the competition and it's something we're excited about working on," said Yates, who has been involved with the project since it began three years ago. "Right out of the box the engine is really impressive power-wise. We feel like it's going to give us some advantages aerodynamically where, perhaps, we can tape the cars up more and run the engines hotter. The oiling system is designed for a racing engine and, to this day, the current engine has done a great job for many years, but we've got to remember when I started 20 years ago the block was already in existence. So a lot of things have changed," continued Yates. "The demands have changed. The RPM and the power levels have changed tremendously, and to have an opportunity to have something new and move forward makes this an exciting time to be part of Ford."
Some of those crucial decisions included an all-new platform for FR9 with no carry over components or dimensions from the current production-based 351 engine. Elements such as the induction exhaust, valvetrain, cooling, lubrication and sealing systems have all been improved for greater efficiency and performance. While the restricted version of the engine will debut next week, it has yet to be determined when FR9 will hit the track at an unrestricted venue.(Ford Racing)(10-23-2009)
Old 10/25/09, 02:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey Brian, are you watching the race today?? Do you see all the other guys going around us like we're in reverse??

Our current engine is competitive alright.
Old 10/25/09, 02:17 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't think it's the engine, Ford had the same engine last year and they still won 11 races (nobody won more).

Every week it's the same story, "the car is too loose, the car is too tight" ...

And on top of that - Ford has only 7 full time drivers at this time.
Old 11/1/09, 11:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I know its early, but Kenseth looks pretty good. Hes in second now and started back in the pack. Only took what maybe 15 laps to pull up to the front. I'd say its a good sign. I know, its early.
Old 11/1/09, 02:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Carl Edwards doesn't have the FR9 engine right?
Old 11/1/09, 02:41 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Knight Rider
Carl Edwards doesn't have the FR9 engine right?
No. Just Kenseth and Ragan.