Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Kurt Busch taking Rusty' Ride

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/05, 03:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if I'm bringing old news but it was a shock to me this morning.

Kurt has been offered a contract with Penske South for 2007 and has asked for a release from his contract with Roush Racing in 2006. People assume it's to take Rusty's #2. This was on the Roush page:

CONCORD, N.C. (August 9, 2005) - Roush Racing announced today that Kurt Busch has advised team officials that he has signed with another team commencing in 2007. The name of the team is not known. Kurt also requested a release from his contract for 2006. Due to sponsor and team considerations no decision on that request will be made for an indefinite period. Roush Racing will have no further comment at this time.

Roush Racing is a subsidiary of Livonia, Mich., based Roush Industries that operates ten motorsports teams; five in NASCAR Nextel Cup with drivers Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards; three in the Busch Series with Martin, Kenseth and Edwards, and two in the Craftsman Truck Series with drivers Ricky Craven and Todd Kluever.
Old 8/10/05, 03:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

From the Chicago Sun Times:

Reigning NASCAR Nextel Cup champion Kurt Busch is changing teams, moving from Roush Racing to Penske Racing South. The only question is when.

Busch signed a contract to drive for Penske starting in 2007 and asked to be released from his current contract with Roush Racing, apparently in hopes of replacing retiring Rusty Wallace next season. In a statement Tuesday, Roush said the team will wait for ''an indefinite period'' before making a decision about Busch's request to leave after this season.

''Yeah, we have signed him up for 2007,'' Penske team president Don Miller told the Associated Press. ''As for anything else, the lawyers tell us we can't really comment. We'll just have to see how things shake out.''

Busch attended the Cubs' game Tuesday against the Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field and initially fended off questions about the move. But after throwing out the first pitch and leading the crowd in singing ''Take Me Out to the Ball Game'' during the seventh-inning stretch, he talked about his future.

''There's still so much more work to be done in the meantime,'' Busch said. "I've got an opportunity to win a championship in 2005, as well as 2006, for whomever I drive for. Roush Racing has given me the best equipment to go and do so.''

Roush said there were ''sponsor and team considerations'' to take into account before making a decision about Busch for next season. The team said it would have no additional comment about the split.
Old 8/10/05, 03:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting, I am sure there will be a few $$ talking there!
Old 8/10/05, 05:32 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
All I have to say is . . .

And . . . . :w00t:

(Yes . . I'm not a big fan of Kurt, but he is a darn good driver)
Old 8/10/05, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Ditto