IMSA: Ganassi Ford wins 12 Hours of Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/14, 09:02 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
IMSA: Ganassi Ford wins 12 Hours of Sebring

Outstanding!

http://racer.com/index.php/imsa/65-t...ring#!_AT_7618

It marked the first win the for the storied Ganassi team on the team's Sebring debut, the first overall wins for drivers Scott Pruett, Marino Franchitti and Memo Rojas, and the first win for chassis constructor Riley Technologies since the 1996 12 Hour.
Old 3/17/14, 10:31 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Yes, quite wonderful, and what a photo! Those rotors are nearly see through theyre so hot.
Old 3/17/14, 08:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats to Ganassi and the EcoBoost program!
Old 3/17/14, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Congratulations to Ganassi and Ford. I am surprised to see the Ford Ganassi partnership get success so soon. Ford had a great weekend with the Ford race cars finishing 1,2,3, and 5 at Bristol. So far, I have seen some fabulous racing this year. Nice to see Ford race cars competitive this year.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 3/17/14 at 10:56 PM.
Old 3/20/14, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Ford had a great weekend with the Ford race cars finishing 1,2,3, and 5 at Bristol. So far, I have seen some fabulous racing this year. Nice to see Ford race cars competitive this year.
Uh oh. Time for NASCAR to change the rules again. Ford has won two in a row. A Penske Ford has started on the front row three weeks in a row. Keselowski is leading the points. If a Ford wins this weekend NASCAR will have no choice but to make some sort of change to slow down the Fords. It happens every time. A Cheby driver can win the championship ten years in a row but if Ford wins too many plate races or comes too close to threatening the status quo they have no choice but to lay down the law. Why do you think they killed tandem racing on the plate tracks? The FR9 engine has a superior cooling system that allowed the Fords to push better than the rest. The Dale Jr fans hated that their boy didn't have a chance. Presto chango...no more tandem racing. Dale Jr wins the Daytona 500. The world is right again.

Last edited by blksn8k; 3/20/14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 3/21/14, 04:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blksn8k
Uh oh. Time for NASCAR to change the rules again. Ford has won two in a row. A Penske Ford has started on the front row three weeks in a row. Keselowski is leading the points. If a Ford wins this weekend NASCAR will have no choice but to make some sort of change to slow down the Fords. It happens every time. A Cheby driver can win the championship ten years in a row but if Ford wins too many plate races or comes too close to threatening the status quo they have no choice but to lay down the law. Why do you think they killed tandem racing on the plate tracks? The FR9 engine has a superior cooling system that allowed the Fords to push better than the rest. The Dale Jr fans hated that their boy didn't have a chance. Presto chango...no more tandem racing. Dale Jr wins the Daytona 500. The world is right again.
Oh, please.
Old 3/21/14, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Oh, please.
Yeah, yeah, everybody just wants to dismiss it as some goofball conspiracy theory. Dude, I have been watching NASCAR forever and this crap has been going on as long as I can remember. The France family created NASCAR and has been in control since the beginning. They also have a very good memory. When Ford and Chrysler pulled out of racing back in the 70s GM was the only game in town. When the Wood brothers and Bud Moore were the only teams still running Fords in the late 70s and early 80s they asked NASCAR to help them be more competitive. NASCAR's answer: If you don't like it you can switch just like everybody else. When the Elliotts came along in the late 80s and started kicking everybody's *** with their T-birds the GM boys cried foul until NASCAR did something to slow Bill Elliott down. It's called a restrictor plate. NASCAR is just like every other major professional sport. It's a business and it's all about money. Whoever spends the most gets the most.
Old 3/21/14, 10:27 AM
Cobra Member

I got caught up in the recent Ford wins and forgot about all that. I hope history is not repeated.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 3/23/14 at 11:07 AM.
Old 3/21/14, 12:47 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Oh, please.
Featured Powerplant: 427 SOHC "Cammer"

427 SOHC 616 hp @ 7000 rpm

Ford accomplished everything it set out to do with the 427 "SOHC" engine and did it in an amazing ninety days. It was years ahead of its time. In Ford dyno testing, the "Cammer" made 616 hp at 7000 rpm and 515 lbs/ft of torque at 3800 rpm, the most power any production/race engine had ever made, then or now. This 765-pound engine was then slapped in a '64 Galaxie NASCAR stocker and ran the fastest laps any stock car had run at Daytona to date. It easily equaled what the vaunted "Hemi" had run and still had more power to unleash. And this really tweaked (read that pissed off), the Highland Park contingent because they couldn't be competitive (read dominate), on the stock car tracks, or drag strips any more.
Through temper tantrums and threats of a complete pull out of competition by the Chrysler boys to NASCAR, the 427 "Cammer" was good ol' boy politicked out of the running, never to turn a revolution in competition. But not so with the guys at AHRA and NHRA. They allowed the baddest of the bad to run, and run it did. After some teething problems and some racer development time, the "SOHC motor" was extremely competitive in the A/FX through Pro Stock, even Top Fuel, up through the early '70's. And back in 1965 the Ford Single OverHead Cam 427 is what King Kong brought to the party.
http://www.supermotors.net/articles/...sue01-a2-1.php

After leading just one season, Ford's promising 427 wedge was beaten at Daytona by the Chrysler Hemi in 1964. To meet this new competition, Ford secretly developed an overhead cam version of the high performance FE block, the legendary 427 SOHC. The engine has become known as the Cammer. Though Ford sold the required number of units to homologate the design, the Cammer was prevented from running against the Chrysler hemi at Daytona in 1965 due to NASCAR rule changes. Many Cammers found their way into Mustangs running A/FX Factory Experimental drag racing.
http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/427sohc.html

(Another reason why I love my 4.6L 3V SOHC! It has it's roots in the 'Cammer'...)
Old 3/23/14, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Smile

When I open the hood on my 2007 GT Mustang, I think about the heritage of the SOHC Ford engine. Good memories.