Old 6/22/13, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
well that`s not so bad then ..

Overall its:

Chevrolet: 1247
Ford: 1000

Dont know bout Dodge. Ford could win every race the next 7 years and barely have the lead.....Sad.
Old 6/22/13, 02:55 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford didn't really compete in NASCAR as a factory team from the early 1970s until the early 1980s and during the same time Chrysler was only sponsoring Richard Petty, until he switched to GM in the late 1970s. So majority of those wins came during that time.
Old 6/22/13, 03:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Ford didn't really compete in NASCAR as a factory team from the early 1970s until the early 1980s and during the same time Chrysler was only sponsoring Richard Petty, until he switched to GM in the late 1970s. So majority of those wins came during that time.
I dont know about that but I do know that Chevrolet usually wins double if not more of what Ford wins every year. I also think that Ford doesnt hold as much importance any longer in winning as Chevrolet does.
Old 6/22/13, 07:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

In a way, it was GM who saved NASCAR for possibly going out of the business. In the early 1970s both Ford and Chrysler pulled out and GM stepped in. And of course JD Reynolds ...
Old 6/23/13, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I don't think I would give GM credit for saving NASCAR. I would say GM helped create the situation we have today . Ford and Chrysler probably would not have pulled out of NASCAR had NASCAR not worked so hard to get the GM small block engine competitive by putting restrictions on the big block engines. I would say the teams like Bud Moore engineering, Wood Brothers racing, and Bill Elliot did more than GM to make the racing more interesting. After Ford and Chrysler left NASCAR, GM gained enough influence in NASCAR to keep the rules in their favor for years to come and beyond.
Old 6/23/13, 11:39 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I don't think I would give GM credit for saving NASCAR. I would say GM helped create the situation we have today . Ford and Chrysler probably would not have pulled out of NASCAR had NASCAR not worked so hard to get the GM small block engine competitive by putting restrictions on the big block engines. I would say the teams like Bud Moore engineering, Wood Brothers racing, and Bill Elliot did more than GM to make the racing more interesting. After Ford and Chrysler left NASCAR, GM gained enough influence in NASCAR to keep the rules in their favor for years to come and beyond.

And regardless of GM, when 2/3 of the manufacturers pull out, that demonstrates clearly that NASCAR is the problem for NASCAR. Their head has been, and still is, so far up their butt they can't see anything clearly. duh
Old 6/23/13, 01:13 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Ford and Chrysler probably would not have pulled out of NASCAR had NASCAR not worked so hard to get the GM small block engine competitive by putting restrictions on the big block engines.
I don't think that's true. In the early 1970s Ford pulled out from all types of racing they're were competing (NASCAR, Indy, Le Mans, Rally, Trans Am ...) because new standards (for safety and emissions) came out for production cars and Ford had to spend much more money than in the past to meet them. Ford simply had no money left for racing.
Old 6/24/13, 03:57 PM
GT Member

I like what they have done with the Gen 6 car, but the racing product I think still lacks due to the type of tracks they are on now and the brand/personalities arent what they used to be. To me the golden age of nascar was the mid 80s to mid 90s, it all went downhill when Dale Sr. died. Nobody stepped up to the plate to fill his shoes and eventually that person became Jimmy Johnson who is a bore and mr make corporate America happy.