Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

DEI to buy Yates?

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/07, 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OK wait, maybe I should have worded it differently, "GM ponied up the dough to secure those personalities", or god knows what types of sweetheart deals where made.

Hard to see Jr' in a Ford and ehh, probably unlikely but who knows these days. It's a marketing machine now that's for sure.

Oh yea, if the Matt Kenseth question was directed at me...IMO I think he is a great talent, I just personally don't really look forward to hearing him in interviews <shrug>
Old 5/1/07, 06:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neat article on speedtv.com today, take a read. but i still think it'll be a cold day in hell to see jr in a ford. however i did just buy some new winter riding gear. lol

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/37030/
Old 5/1/07, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Very interesting read. Here is a quote from a Ford exec (posted on Jayski's site)

"In response to media reports from this past weekend, Ford Racing confirmed it is fully aware of merger talks that have taken place between Dale Earnhardt Inc. (DEI) and Robert Yates Racing (RYR) officials. “Ford is fully committed to Robert Yates Racing for the long-term, and they have assured us that are similarly committed to Ford,” said Kevin Kennedy, Ford Racing Technology Communications Manager. “Robert and Doug have been in contact with Ford about the nature of the discussions. We have a valued partnership with them, and they are keeping us informed of those discussions like a true partner would. We fully expect they will remain with Ford for many, many years.” Robert Yates Racing and Ford have a relationship that goes back to the formation of the race team in the late 1980s, and Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing Technology, has repeatedly stated that the manufacturer is fully committed to bringing RYR back to the top of the field. Media reports this past weekend also stated that Ford had been in discussions with DEI about a switch from Chevrolet to Ford for the 2008 season. Davis has repeatedly said that Ford is interested in adding championship-level teams to its Cup roster. “We definitely have been talking with DEI. Truthfully, we’ve been having informal talks with them for several years,” said Kennedy. “We have not yet made a formal offer to them, but we know that their GM contract is up at the end of the year. We had some discussions with them, and we’ve made it clear that we’d love to have them in our program.”
Old 5/1/07, 09:00 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to support what I've been saying. I believe that GM's contracts with all their cup teams expire at the end of the 2007 season. DEI is putting together a contingency plan should GM pull the plug on them and / or other Chevy teams.

The word is that a lot of people inside GM want to move some of their $$ away from NASCAR to racing series that have race cars more representative of what GM sells, like the Corvette ALMS program, the CTSs they're racing, etc.
Old 5/1/07, 09:25 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
Neat article on speedtv.com today, take a read. but i still think it'll be a cold day in hell to see jr in a ford. however i did just buy some new winter riding gear. lol

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/37030/
Sounding more & more like in 2008 Jr. goes to Hendrink & DEI goes to Ford.
Old 5/1/07, 10:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by V10
Seems to support what I've been saying. I believe that GM's contracts with all their cup teams expire at the end of the 2007 season. DEI is putting together a contingency plan should GM pull the plug on them and / or other Chevy teams.

The word is that a lot of people inside GM want to move some of their $$ away from NASCAR to racing series that have race cars more representative of what GM sells, like the Corvette ALMS program, the CTSs they're racing, etc.
Could be but I don't see the intent behind that strategy other then the cars are not a far departure then what is on the street. I would think it would be smarter to stay in the "spotlight" on the grand stage so to speak as those other series do not have as much exposure.

Who knows though, Toyota is a big factor in this and how much money they are willing to throw around (meaning what the other makes will do.)
Old 5/1/07, 10:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by V10
Sounding more & more like in 2008 Jr. goes to Hendrink & DEI goes to Ford.
i highly doubt he would drive for hendrick. just because he drove the 5 for 9 laps doesnt mean much
Old 5/1/07, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope something happens, NASCAR , Needs something,. it is getting very hard to watch anymore.... I miss the days of Alan Kulwicki sluggin it out with the big boys. Who ever said more money is a good thing was wrong when it comes to NASCAR, just created a monster with no eyes.....
Old 5/1/07, 01:36 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
I hope something happens, NASCAR , Needs something,. it is getting very hard to watch anymore.... I miss the days of Alan Kulwicki sluggin it out with the big boys. Who ever said more money is a good thing was wrong when it comes to NASCAR, just created a monster with no eyes.....
I agree, I no longer watch the races. Tried to watch the Talledega race, couldn't sit through it. All NASCAR has become is a 3 - 4 hour TV commercial.

Discussing NASCAR silly season & off track politics is more interesting than the races.
Old 5/1/07, 02:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i`m so fed up with the whole ricecar ( formally nascar ) scene that i dont want to even bother with a comment
Old 5/1/07, 02:16 PM
Cobra R Member

haha there is one phrase that when i hear it it is owrse than nails on a chalk board. when larry mac says "spooooler" there is an i in that word please pronounce it!!!!

i however still love catching races, i usually watch 5-10 minutes of pre-race, the first 10 laps or so. then try to get back in time for the checkers. since at least once an hour they replay the entire highlight real and explain drafting and fuel consumption three times an hour.
Old 5/2/07, 04:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know guys I think I'm Depressed... Seriously I used to be the guy that couldn't wait to see the race and now its all crap, really!! Cheese302 "Joe" your right they talk about the same old crap and will never ever second guess "GOD Helton". They need their jobs and so does Tony Stewart because they smacked him down into a dixie cup. I look up at my wall and ask where am I and where are the hero's? Long Gone!!! I don't know what to do about it to tell you the truth, my favorite sport is so tainted I really don't know what to do or how to feel..

Dr. Phil?????
Old 5/2/07, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by V10
I agree, I no longer watch the races. Tried to watch the Talledega race, couldn't sit through it. All NASCAR has become is a 3 - 4 hour TV commercial.

Discussing NASCAR silly season & off track politics is more interesting than the races.
I agree with all of this. Also, a lot of this information just reinforces what I've been saying for several months now. Hendrick has something going on with their engines. I still say they're 50-70hp above the rest of the field. That advantage needs to be corrected. They have to be doing something illegal. Their cars are in front of the field every single week. Believe me, there are plenty of good drivers in the NASCAR field. When Gordon and Johnson pulled out last week down low, it was like all the other cars began going backwards. They went to the front in what seemed like less than a single straightaway. I don't believe any other car Chevy or otherwise could've done that. I've seen moves similar to this one several times in recent weeks. Theres just a big HP advantage in their cars and that needs to be checked.
Old 5/3/07, 06:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
I agree with all of this. Also, a lot of this information just reinforces what I've been saying for several months now. Hendrick has something going on with their engines. I still say they're 50-70hp above the rest of the field. That advantage needs to be corrected. They have to be doing something illegal. Their cars are in front of the field every single week. Believe me, there are plenty of good drivers in the NASCAR field. When Gordon and Johnson pulled out last week down low, it was like all the other cars began going backwards. They went to the front in what seemed like less than a single straightaway. I don't believe any other car Chevy or otherwise could've done that. I've seen moves similar to this one several times in recent weeks. Theres just a big HP advantage in their cars and that needs to be checked.
I have to agree. look, hendrick has won all of the COT races so far. i mean it seems like no one can compete. and then in th wake of all this chevy domination they go and get a new engine aprroved which means they are now making even more power than anyone else. Besides the clear domination by chevy. look at what mark martin did after leaving the best fords on the track... and now he still might contend for a chase spot after skipping three races. NASCAR is in bed with chevy, and hendrick for that matter. i dont care what anyone else says, you can see it every week. oh and BTW if stewart really has *****, he'll leave the sport if nascar doesnt stop throwing cautions for hot dog wrappers on the track. you can tell he isnt enjoying racing right now. he just doesnt and thats what he is. a racer. not a media machine like every hendrick driver.
Old 5/3/07, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
oh and BTW if stewart really has *****, he'll leave the sport if nascar doesnt stop throwing cautions for hot dog wrappers on the track. you can tell he isnt enjoying racing right now. he just doesnt and thats what he is. a racer. not a media machine like every hendrick driver.
He just may when his contract is up. IMO you are right about Stewart, he is one of the best things for Nascar right now. He is 100% old school and pretty much the sole link to the past. He should have been running Winston Cup back in the 80's. He is the best driver out there for Home Depot also. I think back to last year during one of the pre-race shows, they where going through the drivers and what not, pretty bow here, pretty boy there, and then there is Stewart jamming a greasy slice of pizza in his fat un-shaven grill! He looks exactly like the guy you would see on line in Home Depot buying some plywood. The dude only cares about racing.

OK, back on track. Can't blame DEI for talking to Ford and I am sure either Dodge or Toyota as well. More support would help them.
Old 5/3/07, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

it would pretty much be a dream come true if truex was driving a ford next year. which means it will never happen lol
Old 5/20/07, 08:39 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
This looks to be dead in the water with the recent announcement of the DEI & RCR joint engine development program. If Jr. does go to RCR seems he'll still have some association with DEI.