Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Ordered 2013 GT500: Our Wonderful & Frustrating Journey

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/12, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Didn't you have the choice of sonic blue or grabber blue?
When we ordered the car there was no place to choose when placing the order. The Ford website said the OTT color was grabber blue. I checked a few weeks after I ordered and the color was changed to sonic blue. When I checked the Ford site a couple days ago, it has been changed again, now it's deep impact blue.

My DORA says 85B sonic blue tape stripe.

We'll see when it gets delivered. What a nice surprise it would be if I got the car & the stripes were guardsman blue!

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 8/29/12 at 06:58 AM.
Old 8/28/12, 10:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Haha I'm pretty sure they offered sonic or grabber blue for the stripes. The build and price is never 100% accurate.
Old 8/28/12, 10:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Haha I'm pretty sure they offered sonic or grabber blue for the stripes. The build and price is never 100% accurate.
Especially when the dealer is a few bricks short...
Old 8/28/12, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The website says the new stripe is dark impact blue.

Checkout this Aug 1 built GT500
Jul 31
Jun 29

Last edited by Snoopy49; 8/28/12 at 11:13 PM.
Old 8/28/12, 11:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
The website says the new stripe is dark impact blue.

Checkout this Aug 1 built GT500
Jul 31
Jun 29
Maybe they had an issue with their sonic blue supplier. Or maybe they just decided to use the name of a currently available Mustang color for the stripe; change the name to DIB since SB is not a current Mustang color.
Old 8/28/12, 11:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ford site also says the black stripes are glossy, but the only ones I have seen are matte black. My VOC says matte black. What does your VOC or DORA say?
Old 8/29/12, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I believe the stripes on the '14 will be glossy, while the black stripes on the '13 are matte.

One of the reasons I didn't go with White was because I couldn't get the same color combination of the old GT500s that I loved so much, white with the Guardsman blue stripes. Had I known the stripes were going to be the darker variety, I may have considered getting the White with Blue. Still, Black with Red stripes is one of my favorite combinations on this car; it just looks like it's in its own element when it's black. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a whole lot of black Mustangs here (San Antonio, TX), and over the last year or so I've looked. Have yet to see another '13 Shelby in town, though I'm sure there are a few. A guy down the street from me has a '05-'09 Shelby, keeps it under a car cover so I don't know much more about it than it's white with blue stripes--another reason I opted for something other than that color.
Old 8/29/12, 09:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
When we ordered the car there was no place to choose when placing the order. The Ford website said the OTT color was grabber blue. I checked a few weeks after I ordered and the color was changed to sonic blue. When I checked the Ford site a couple days ago, it has been changed again, now it's deep impact blue.

My DORA says 85B sonic blue tape stripe.

We'll see when it gets delivered. What a nice surprise it would be if I got the car & the stripes were guardsman blue!
Thanks for the kind words earlier. Jeff & I try to help from the dealership perspective as much as we can here. We are both Mustang enthusiasts, which you don't often find at Ford dealerships.

I just dialed into the GT500 order banks and Sonic Blue is the only blue stripe showing (order code 85B). Ford's public website is often wrong, so please take it with a grain of salt. The order banks are live and always correct.

Glad to here your GT500 is scheduled and coming this year for you! Congrats!
Old 8/29/12, 09:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I believe the stripes on the '14 will be glossy, while the black stripes on the '13 are matte.
You are correct.
Old 8/31/12, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a lengthy process it's been for you. But congrats on the purchase and may the weeks pass by quickly for you.
Old 8/31/12, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

Well it's Friday and the fun just keeps on coming. SVT said that the build day is scheduled for 10/1. Deysha checked and the delivery ETA @ dealer is 10/7. I've been reading horror stories about people waiting 4-6 weeks for delivery after their car has been built.

Waiting with a big bowl of popcorn to see what happens with our order.
Old 8/31/12, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hopefully that isn't the case for you. Mine wasn't bad at all really, but I don't live far from Flat Rock.
Old 9/1/12, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Just received an email from my dealer (sort of). I can't wait until we get this car so I don't have to deal with this guy any further.
Old 9/1/12, 10:24 PM

I feel your pain. My ETA alone was delayed almost 5 weeks from the first delivery date I was given while the car sat around waiting to be transported.

It's definitely worth the wait though and you won't be disappointed.
Old 9/3/12, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

Oh nuts! We went to a Shelby & Mustang show yesterday. We had a lot of fun BUT the wife saw a 08 Shelby, red w/ white stripes & fell in love with it.

We went to Ford dealers today to look at race red cars. Too orange for our taste but they had a candy red vert there. It was parked in the shade & looked maroon. We asked a salesman to move it into the sun and WHAMMO! My wife fell in love with it.

She does not like the color unless it is in the sun. So now we've got a week or so to decide if we're going to change colors to candy red. I told my wife that I like the color but it's not a "Shelby" color.

Happy wife=happy life. Time to look through a whole bunch of pictures in the next few days to decide.

NRAX!
Old 9/3/12, 06:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Shelby's not just a car. It's not a minivan, it's not a station wagon disguised as a "crossover," it's not an SUV, it's not even just a Mustang. It's a Shelby. She can be mad/disappointed about the color, and you can make it up to her in other ways. You need to ask yourself how much the car is for her, and how much it's for you. It's a marriage. marriages are built on compromises. Tell her you'll compromise on something else in the future, but the Shelby needs to be whatever color you like best, if the Shelby is more for you than for her or the two of you. Trust me, you will regret the color if you don't get what you really want.
Old 9/3/12, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

The Shelby's not just a car. It's not a minivan, it's not a station wagon disguised as a "crossover," it's not an SUV, it's not even just a Mustang. It's a Shelby. She can be mad/disappointed about the color, and you can make it up to her in other ways. You need to ask yourself how much the car is for her, and how much it's for you. It's a marriage. marriages are built on compromises. Tell her you'll compromise on something else in the future, but the Shelby needs to be whatever color you like best, if the Shelby is more for you than for her or the two of you. Trust me, you will regret the color if you don't get what you really want.
Spoken like a single man.

I chose to get married & chose to have a kid. I'm a family man & my family is the most important thing to me. If that wasn't the case, I'd have bought the 427 Vette convertible. But there aren't enough seats for 3. As well, the color really isn't that important to me. I like many of the colors offered for the Shelby. If one color over another makes my wife happy, then I don't have a problem selecting a different color that I also like.

And if one of those colors makes my wife happier, then that's a bonus for me too.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 9/3/12 at 07:22 PM.
Old 9/3/12, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
I say go with the white if that's what you want. If your wife is truly in love with the red, maybe trade the 88?
Old 9/3/12, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Spoken like a single man.

I chose to get married & chose to have a kid. I'm a family man & my family is the most important thing to me. If that wasn't the case, I'd have bought the 427 Vette convertible. But there aren't enough seats for 3. As well, the color really isn't that important to me. I like many of the colors offered for the Shelby. If one color over another makes my wife happy, then I don't have a problem selecting a different color that I also like.

And if one of those colors makes my wife happier, then that's a bonus for me too.
I'm married, and happily so. My approach or opinion is one of someone who is honest, with my wife and myself. I find life much more satisfying that way. You can choose to characterize it how you wish, but you would be well served by also considering that I might just be right.

Hope you enjoy your red candy Shelby.
Old 9/3/12, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

I'm married, and happily so. My approach or opinion is one of someone who is honest, with my wife and myself. I find life much more satisfying that way. You can choose to characterize it how you wish, but you would be well served by also considering that I might just be right.

Hope you enjoy your red candy Shelby.
I appreciate your insight and you are absolutely correct. If color was very important to me, I would always regret compromising on a color that I love. But since I will be happy with a number of different colors, I will truly enjoy whichever color we end up with.

And your outlook on life & marriage is a very healthy one. If more marriages were like yours, I'm sure the divorce rate in this world would be significantly lower.

Quick Reply: Ordered 2013 GT500: Our Wonderful & Frustrating Journey