Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Let's talk mods.

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/10, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk mods.

After nearly 3 weeks of ownership experience, an itch to mod is getting stronger.

There's a few mods I'm interested in: performance (been dreaming about the FRPP 2.9 supercharger kit), convenience (doing the homelink mod) and appearance (doing something with those rear quarter windows - tint or block with louvers).

So fellow Shelby owners, please tell me your recommendations for performance mods. I really don't have the time to drive the car often but would love to have plenty of hp/torque on hand - road course events would be an awesome weekend adventure. As for cost, I'm interested in those mods that offer the biggest bang for the buck.

Also, has anyone added a dry sump? Or coolers (oil, transmission, differential)?

Anyone just upgrade the blower and nothing else? If so, has any drivetrain components broken because of the blower upgrade?

Thanks for your help.
A Shelby newbie.
Old 10/20/10, 08:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to add a new blower. It'll run you about 6k, so they ain't cheap. 550HP is plenty, but you might want more down the road once you get use to the power. Just remember- all that power is useless if you can't keep the car on the road. Watch some youtube videos of the Super Snake and you'll see what I mean, the car seems almost out of control.

The 1st thing I would do is change the exhaust. I prefer a little louder (but without drone) and more muscle car sound. There isn't many exhaust options just yet since the 2011 exhaust is different than the '10's exhaust. But in the coming months there will be more hitting the market.
Old 10/20/10, 09:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
... The 1st thing I would do is change the exhaust. I prefer a little louder (but without drone) and more muscle car sound. There isn't many exhaust options just yet since the 2011 exhaust is different than the '10's exhaust. But in the coming months there will be more hitting the market.
I have been wondering who would be first to bring up this topic.

The stock exhaust note for '03 - '04 Cobras were quiet, so were the '07 - '09 GT500s. On mine I went with Borla and FRPP which are basically one and the same, just a different label. Feeling the pavement and shifting gears were incomplete without the engine humming encouragement and letting the driver know what it is doing.

Not so on the '11 GT500, at the dismay of the aftermarket. There is a pleasant rumble multiplying at WOT, it roars and is a blast. SVT got this one right without drone or the eventual dash, door panels, and console squeaks which develop from the drone vibrations.

As for the suspension, it is balanced and it grips. Really grips. How far it is taken depends on driver talent and one's cojones size. I can use some aftermarket improvement in that department.

Save your mod money for the F1 Supercar G:2s. They are not cheap and they are not in Walmart's catalog.

Here is a vid I posted before, it gives you an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaZ-3pySft0

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 10/20/10 at 09:18 PM. Reason: poor choice of words
Old 10/21/10, 06:05 AM
Cobra R Member

George,

Yes I was surprised at how good the stock exhaust sounds on the 2011, it's pretty aggressive sounding for a stock set up. But it's not quite there for my tastes. On my 08 I put the FRPP exhaust that went on the KR's, they sound more aggressive and louder than the 20111 stock exhaust and there is zero drone on them. They sound mean cruising around town and when you get on the throttle but they are whisper quiet on the highway.

Exhaust is the only mod I would do to the 2011. I'm at the point in life I don't want to worry about modding "my ride" and to me I think the 2011 GT500 (with SVTPP) is perfect the way it is (except for exhaust).
Old 10/21/10, 09:10 AM

I installed the FRPP Whipple 2.9 at about 150 miles on the car. I have 450 miles now and it's a blast! Yes, the stock power is sufficient and makes plenty of power for most. However, the car is absolutely crazy now. It's fun to drive, but will overpower the tires in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. I didn't want to mess around with pulley swaps, idlers, long tubes,etc., so the FRPP kit was a nice option for me. I've modded a lot of Mustangs, and vehicles in general, and this was the one of the simplest and most effective bolt on's to date.

That being said, it will overpower the stock clutch if you race your car. I made an "easy" pass at the dragstrip and traction was a huge problem until about 90mph(FRPP package is no match for the Whipple at 17psi). Once I hit 90, I was able to push the pedal the rest of the way down. However, the track was still kind of sticky from the rails that ran before my pass. In 4th gear at WOT it started to slip the clutch some, I could smell it. So, for street driving the stock clutch is ok since it will simply overpower the tires. At the track, you'd need a clutch upgrade.
Old 10/21/10, 05:40 PM

Post some numbers....I am dying to hear what you ran.
Old 10/21/10, 05:49 PM

It wasn't a pretty pass. I think it was 128mph. The 1/4 mile time was 12.9. I was a little embarassed, but my expectations were low anyway. I think I would've granny shifted and pedaled the car more if I would've known the end result.
Old 10/22/10, 09:17 AM
V6 Member

Just to clarify...do you mean the FRPP is better than the Whipple blower?
Old 10/22/10, 09:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
After nearly 3 weeks of ownership experience, an itch to mod is getting stronger.

There's a few mods I'm interested in: performance (been dreaming about the FRPP 2.9 supercharger kit), convenience (doing the homelink mod) and appearance (doing something with those rear quarter windows - tint or block with louvers).

So fellow Shelby owners, please tell me your recommendations for performance mods. I really don't have the time to drive the car often but would love to have plenty of hp/torque on hand - road course events would be an awesome weekend adventure. As for cost, I'm interested in those mods that offer the biggest bang for the buck.

Also, has anyone added a dry sump? Or coolers (oil, transmission, differential)?

Anyone just upgrade the blower and nothing else? If so, has any drivetrain components broken because of the blower upgrade?

Thanks for your help.
A Shelby newbie.
Enjoy your car for at least the 1st year/12k before you do any major power mods. Give your car time from any of the substandard components to fail. It's a lot harder to prove you had a bad part when the mods are on there. It gives Ford a lot of ways to get out of providing support. Learn from my mistake!

Last edited by bpmurr; 10/22/10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10/22/10, 11:27 AM

The FRPP is a Whipple. The blower kit actually ships direct from Whipple.

I agree, it's a good idea to make sure your car is in good shape before modding it. Although most Shelby customers don't put enough miles on their cars to know for sure. :-)
Old 10/22/10, 01:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 99svtlightning
The FRPP is a Whipple. The blower kit actually ships direct from Whipple.

I agree, it's a good idea to make sure your car is in good shape before modding it. Although most Shelby customers don't put enough miles on their cars to know for sure. :-)
You're so right about that. A lot of people barely drive them. Probably why there are so few reported problems.
Old 10/24/10, 11:19 PM

Heck I drive mine every day, its my daily driver. While the gas mileage makes me feel like I'm driving a Boss 429 (3 tanks of premium a week!), my commute (48 miles round trip, mostly highway) has gotten even more fun. I'll probably drive it like this for the 1st 2 years, buy something fun yet more gas friendly, & garage the GT500 for weekends. Cant wait 'til the new Z28's hit the street!
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk mods.-front-view-2011-shelby.jpg  
Old 10/26/10, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

SO is the stock clutch capable to handle the power delivered by the FRPP blower upgrade?
Old 10/26/10, 09:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by bpmurr
Enjoy your car for at least the 1st year/12k before you do any major power mods. Give your car time from any of the substandard components to fail. It's a lot harder to prove you had a bad part when the mods are on there. It gives Ford a lot of ways to get out of providing support. Learn from my mistake!
I've totally got to agree with bpmurr here.

Unless you are prepared to pay for your own warranty issues because you've modded the car and Ford feels its no longer responsible I would shy away from it.

And if a smaller pulley fries a clutch, see bpmurr's thread, then I would say no, the stock clutch cannot handle the new blower. Be prepared to replace drivetrain parts entirely at your own cost.
Old 10/27/10, 05:23 AM

SO is the stock clutch capable to handle the power delivered by the FRPP blower upgrade?
The stock clutch is fine as a daily driver and spirited street driving. For the track, it won't last long. You are definitely right at the limits of the stock clutch.
Old 10/27/10, 08:34 PM
V6 Member

Any recommended clutch package that can handle all the torque from the FRPP/Whipple blower with ease?
Old 11/5/10, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fjm1235
Heck I drive mine every day, its my daily driver. While the gas mileage makes me feel like I'm driving a Boss 429 (3 tanks of premium a week!), my commute (48 miles round trip, mostly highway) has gotten even more fun. I'll probably drive it like this for the 1st 2 years, buy something fun yet more gas friendly, & garage the GT500 for weekends. Cant wait 'til the new Z28's hit the street!
Just love that oh so mean front end look. So bad-arce. real nice car.
Old 11/8/10, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

2011 MUSTANG SVT 750 HP SUPERCHARGER UPGRADE KIT enough said
Old 11/11/10, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

Smile

Thanks for your help.
A Shelby newbie.
My very first mod was a 2.8L Kenne Bell Blower along with KR mufflers and a larger heat exchanger w/fans. Let me tell you that really woke it up especially now that we have cooler weather. If you want more than 600 RWHP then just go for the blower instead of wasting money on pulleys for the stock blower.