'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

It's finally here! For real this time!

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/13 | 09:59 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kcoTiger

Depends: La Cantera here in SA? I averaged 67.8, except for the few weeks before the Valero Texas Open, when it climbed to just over 70. But it's a course I know well, and I couldn't shoot with the pros like that on other courses so I gave it up. It wasn't fun for me anymore when I did it to make money. I made enough on the Nationwide and other tours to keep me thinking "One more tournament, just one more..." Well, I thought that way for a couple of years, until I realized that I was only getting older, not better. That, and a torn rotator cuff and torn labrum pretty much blew my dreams of a Green Jacket to hell (no, I didn't seriously think I'd win one, but my psychologist keeps telling me, "you fail because you don't believe." I asked him if he was related to a little green guy from the Dagoba system, to which I got a blank stare. Seriously, I thought everyone had seen Star Wars by now, but I found one of the 37 people on earth who have not). I haven't been faithful to the game since, becoming a swing coach for a little while before I felt like I was wasting my life trying to teach 50-year old men who were too stubborn to listen to me and too rich not to keep buying lessons and too old to actually become good at the game anymore, so I dropped it completely and went back to school for my math/CS/stats degree. Working on my masters now, and the Shelby has become my hobby. Sadly, this one doesn't even pay for itself like golf did, and my wife put a halt to my (very belated) late-model short-track racing dreams. I guess one failed attempt at a living in sports/competition is enough for her.

I honestly don't know what I'd shoot right now; probably mid-high 80's, though with a month or so of practice I'd probably be down into the low 70's again. A little more and I'd start getting the competitive bug again, and my wife has already hidden my putter from me once. Apparently, she thinks a late-30's man with a torn-up shoulder actually believes he's going to make it on the tour.

Practicing is difficult because of the shoulder, so I never go. I putt sometimes, but it reminds me of the things I just wasn't quite good enough to do, and depresses the hell out of me. Fortunately, I now have the hottest vehicle on four wheels in San Antonio, so I just go for a drive, and amazingly, every single time I get out of the car, I'm smiling again...must be that fragrance Ford put into the car before it shipped...

Edit: Seriously, my wife hid my putter. I'd recount the verbal exchange, but it didn't end well for me.
I've played Palmer and Resort courses there. I pretty much gave up on golf about 5 years ago. I realized I have absolutely no talent for the sport and only managed to get to a 5 handicap because I played about 45 holes a week.

My short game is terrible. The only thing that kept me scoring was my driver, short irons, and putter.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:02 PM
Post *****

Matt I had no idea you were in SA. For some readout I thought you were in Houston.

I was in La Vernia today for a girls volleyball tournament. I was in the Raptor though. It rained on us most of the way there.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:04 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

So, have you got to drive this ****er yet?
Old 1/5/13 | 10:05 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
So, have you got to drive this ****er yet?
Not really. Didnt drive it all week. Either raining or below 40 whole dang week.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. We shall see. Still need to detail it. But I've got to work too.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:07 PM

I'd give anything to detail that car. You probably wouldn't let me touch it though.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:08 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Not really. Didnt drive it all week. Either raining or below 40 whole dang week.

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. We shall see. Still need to detail it. But I've got to work too.

Rain I can understand, but what's below 40 have to do with it? Don't tell me you're paying attention to that sticker on the door. I've driven mine the last 2 days and its been in the 40s.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:13 PM
Post *****

Rain I can understand, but what's below 40 have to do with it? Don't tell me you're paying attention to that sticker on the door. I've driven mine the last 2 days and its been in the 40s.
It's just not as fun to have to worry about. I nailed it in third once while passing and the tires were breaking loose and traction control was taking over and I'm like **** this. I just want a clear sunny day heck in the 60s would be nice. I just haven't had any chance to really see what it can do. Like right now I'd take Seven for a drive but with all the deer running around on the last weekend of the season I'm not risking this cars front end. Knock on wood.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:23 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

It's just not as fun to have to worry about. I nailed it in third once while passing and the tires were breaking loose and traction control was taking over and I'm like **** this. I just want a clear sunny day heck in the 60s would be nice. I just haven't had any chance to really see what it can do. Like right now I'd take Seven for a drive but with all the deer running around on the last weekend of the season I'm not risking this cars front end. Knock on wood.
Mine will hook up pretty good in the 60's, but it still spins in 2nd. 70's are ideal as far as good air and decent traction. They just make so much torque down low.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mine will hook up pretty good in the 60's, but it still spins in 2nd. 70's are ideal as far as good air and decent traction. They just make so much torque down low.
lol...uh, yeah, gotta tell you Gary, mine were spinning like crazy in 2nd and 3rd in 95-degree September weather with nary a cloud in sight. Have yet to hit a stretch of running it out where the traction control didn't say, "ok, fun's over, time for me to save the rear tires." Now, with the NT555R's on the back, that may change a little, but I'm pretty sure that anything but racing slicks are going to spin on this powertrain. The torque is just untouchable. I've never experienced anything like it.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:37 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

lol...uh, yeah, gotta tell you Gary, mine were spinning like crazy in 2nd and 3rd in 95-degree September weather with nary a cloud in sight. Have yet to hit a stretch of running it out where the traction control didn't say, "ok, fun's over, time for me to save the rear tires." Now, with the NT555R's on the back, that may change a little, but I'm pretty sure that anything but racing slicks are going to spin on this powertrain. The torque is just untouchable. I've never experienced anything like it.
So basically what you're saying is that the extra 112 hp over mine makes no difference and is basically useless (except for pecker measuring contests) because you can't put it down.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 1/5/13 at 10:38 PM.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yeah, the last week has been just depressing re: weather. Good for the farmers, not so good for the Shelby. Forty-one degrees, damp streets, drizzly, 7am, cloudy, barely enough light to see, but enough to make even my headlights useless...and the old lady wants to take the Shelby to breakfast.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:39 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Nah. What size 555R's? I'm running 305's out back with about your horsepower and a lighter rear end. If you're running a good size, you will be surprised how well they do. On a cold road they are just ok. The very first thing I would do with a new Shelby is swap out those sorry rear tires.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Nah. What size 555R's? I'm running 305's out back with about your horsepower and a lighter rear end. If you're running a good size, you will be surprised how well they do. On a cold road they are just ok. The very first thing I would do with a new Shelby is swap out those sorry rear tires.
Nah, doesn't matter what you have. These guys with the "new" Shelby are faster, badder, and more awesome than any car on the planet. They chuckle at your puny little Cobra with a Whipple or my Shelby.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:44 PM

Nah, doesn't matter what you have. These guys with the "new" Shelby are faster, badder, and more awesome than any car on the planet. They chuckle at your puny little Cobra with a Whipple or my Shelby.
And they should. They paid enough.
If I catch one 3rd gear or under with stock tires, their cobra bait though. Lol

On interstate, another story.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:47 PM
Post *****

And they should. They paid enough.
If I catch one 3rd gear or under with stock tires, their cobra bait though. Lol

On interstate, another story.
No doubt. The stock tires are ****. And it'll be a long time before I can afford anything better now.
Old 1/5/13 | 10:55 PM

No doubt. The stock tires are ****. And it'll be a long time before I can afford anything better now.
My buddy bought and then sold his 12 last year. Said it was useless with the stock tires. What good is power if you can't do anything but spin tires?
Old 1/5/13 | 10:55 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Yeah, right.

Old 1/5/13 | 10:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I hope you're right, because mine are 305/35/20's and I'm counting on them staying nice and sticky around road courses. Of course, steering is a major component on road courses, so I went up in size there too with 555's and a 275/35/20 size. I'm a little iffy on the fronts, but I think I'd have to start moving suspension stuff around if I widen them any more, and there just isn't a tire made for the fronts that is as wide or as sticky (tread-design-wise) as the 555R's or the NT05R's (which were considered, but ultimately dismissed for the complete lack of traction the car would exhibit in the case we ever experience that atmospheric condition called "rain").

Edit: and my apologies to Gary if I have at all hijacked his Shelby thread.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 1/5/13 at 11:00 PM.
Old 1/5/13 | 11:03 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I hope you're right, because mine are 305/35/20's and I'm counting on them staying nice and sticky around road courses. Of course, steering is a major component on road courses, so I went up in size there too with 555's and a 275/35/20 size. I'm a little iffy on the fronts, but I think I'd have to start moving suspension stuff around if I widen them any more, and there just isn't a tire made for the fronts that is as wide or as sticky (tread-design-wise) as the 555R's or the NT05R's (which were considered, but ultimately dismissed for the complete lack of traction the car would exhibit in the case we ever experience that atmospheric condition called "rain").

How do the 275s in front feel on the street? I find that my stock 265's often start "hunting" and finding grooves in the road that you have to correct for. But our roads are **** around here the last few years.
Old 1/5/13 | 11:04 PM
Post *****

You people don't understand that I just don't give a ****.

I'd rather talk about golf or tires any day.

Quick Reply: It's finally here! For real this time!