Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

The 2013 Shelby has quite a challenge before it!

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/11, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...gring-lap.html

This article is probably the most informative one I've read about the lap time. It still had a full cage in it, but it didn't have the PS Cup tires like I expected. It used Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 tires, like the '11-12 GT500 SVT PP has on it. Is the full cage and racing seats going to drop 30-40 seconds off? No. It will, however, not be a truly accurate representation of what the car will do for a consumer. The weight change is probably moot.

I am impressed that the car with the added weight made it around the 'Ring as quick as they claim, but I also want to point something out. 'Ring times are becoming the modern **** measuring tool of performance cars. I used to think it was cool, but let's look a a few things. First, there is absolutely no standard that they go by. One car can have a full cage and R comps, while another can be a showroom sample. Drivers are a whole other story. One can bring a chassis engineer, while another could bring a small race team. Look at the recent Viper ACR times. It seems like every few months, times are changing for similar vehicles, with little or no explanation why.

GM makes 'Ring times a huge deal, and really, they mean little to the US consumer. I'd bet 99% of us won't ever make it there, let alone drive on it, and unfortunately, it makes for a great argument among fanboys of multiple platforms. I'd rather see a list of several tracks, like VIR, Road America, Laguna Seca, etc. with showroom sample cars and the same driver (much like Motor Trend does) and see what kind of times they put down. This would give enthusiasts a much more equal expectation of what the car is capable of.
Well said.
Old 10/19/11, 01:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Old 10/19/11, 01:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by sampey43
In all fairness guys the car being ugly is our opinions, as far as whammer... Go sell your boss, recycle cans, and get you a z to slow!! After all you deserve one, the cars are probably being built with your tax dollars anyway, didnt whammer say in his last thread for cobra guys to stay off the boss threads? Refresh my memory!!! Bottom line no matter what gm does or has done in the past, mustang will always have the edge!! PEOPLE LOVE THE MUSTANG MORE PERIOD!!

I guess you don't comprehend very well. I never told people to stay off the Boss forums. I said- I don't go to the Shelby forum and bad mouth the car, so why do others feel it necessary to go to the Boss forum and bad mouth it?
Old 10/19/11, 04:37 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
I guess you don't comprehend very well...
Seems conveniently surprising there is no "The 2013 Boss has quite a challenge before it!" topic instead. After all, isn't the Boss the best Mustang ever?

From the very first post this thread belonged in the Which Is Better Forum and you know it. You just wanted reactions exclusively from the GT500 guys instead of opening a can of worms over at the Boss forum and degrade the very car you now have which obviously has to be the top dog regardless of the reality of all its setbacks.

Nobody around here is concerned or cares about the Camaro, we never have, or the Boss for that matter. You are the exception, whether dealing with reading comprehension or common sense.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 10/20/11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10/19/11, 04:51 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Whammer
Did the GM guy say that the Eaton supercharger found on the ZL1 is a twin screw? Uh, no it's not...

Last edited by MARZ; 10/21/11 at 06:14 PM. Reason: "No," not "not"
Old 10/19/11, 05:21 PM
Cobra Member

Well said 1 Cobra!! You have a great point!! Ha ha! Whammer your one of a kind bro!! Lmao
Old 10/20/11, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
Seems conveniently surprising there is no "The 2013 Boss has quite a challenge before it!" topic instead. After all, isn't the Boss the best Mustang ever?

From the very first post this thread belonged in the Which Is Better Forum and you know it. You just wanted rections exclusively from the GT500 guys instead of opening a can of worms over at the Boss forum and degrade the very car you now have which obviously has to be the top dog regardless of the reality of all its setbacks.

Nobody around here is concerned or cares about the Camaro, we never have, or the Boss for that matter. You are the exception, whether dealing with reading comprehension or common sense.
So what's missing here? An e in front of the r, or an a after the e?
Old 10/20/11, 08:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he was going for erections.
Old 10/20/11, 09:13 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I don't think erections is a topic worthy of discussing among a crowd limited to the same gender unless it happens to be a personal preference.

BTW, it has been edited.
Old 10/20/11, 09:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think erections is a topic worthy of discussing among a crowd limited to the same gender unless it happens to be a personal preference.

BTW, it has been edited.
Agreed.... different "strokes" for different folks but I don't want to hear about it
Old 10/21/11, 05:11 PM
Cobra R Member

From the very first post this thread belonged in the Which Is Better Forum and you know it. You just wanted reactions exclusively from the GT500 guys instead of opening a can of worms over at the Boss forum and degrade the very car you now have which obviously has to be the top dog regardless of the reality of all its setbacks.

Of course you care about the Camaro. And this thread isn't to bash the GT500, I said Ford has quite a challenge before it, and they do. Just adding HP to the GT500 is not going to be enough to best the ZL1. Why would Ford choose to put the 5.8 into the 2013 and bump HP to around 600 unless they were trying to outdo the ZL1?

The problem is it will take more than just a boost to HP and I truly hope Ford is looking to win this fight. It's from challenges like this that cars and their performance improve. Without the ZL1 you wouldn't be getting (hopefully) a better GT500. So only the truly ignorant don't care about the ZL1.
Old 10/21/11, 05:49 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
jay leno sucks..

They really need to cut 500 lbs off the gt500 to make it stand out.
Old 10/21/11, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang
jay leno sucks..

500lbs? What?
Old 10/21/11, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Personally, I think Ford has something up its sleeve for the GT500 besides the new motor. I am sure they are gonna make this car handle as well. I don't see them putting this new motor in and not making changes to get the new power to the ground
Old 10/21/11, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

jay leno sucks..

agreed...they just need to get rid of all the seats but the drivers seat and the hood and the trunk and the radio and the air-conditioning and headlights and taillights...pretty much anything that weighs something get rid of it...that'll be good!!!
Old 10/21/11, 08:19 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
500lbs? What?
The pound or pound-mass (abbreviations: lb, lbm, lbm, ℔[1] ) is a unit of mass used in the imperial, United States customary and other systems of measurement. A number of different definitions have been used, the most common today being the international avoirdupois pound which is legally defined as exactly 0.45359237 kilograms.

The unit is descended from the Roman libra (hence the abbreviation "lb"); the name pound is a Germanic adaptation of the Latin phrase libra pondo, 'a pound weight'.[2]

Usage of the unqualified term pound reflects the historical conflation of mass and weight resulting from the near uniformity of gravity on Earth. This accounts for the modern distinguishing terms pound-mass and pound-force.
Old 10/21/11, 08:24 PM
Banned

3200lbs you crazy!
Old 10/21/11, 08:30 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
3200lbs you crazy!

Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 3820
source
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...&trimid=112933

and now a song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B45S6L20OJA
Old 10/21/11, 08:34 PM
Banned

When mine was stock in weighed in at 3733
Old 10/21/11, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Your worried about times going around the ring? Really? The ZL1 and the GT500s main battle ground is going to be at the drag strip not at the ring I highly doubt that many people will be shipping their cars over to Germany or for those in Europe drive to the ring and race their car there. Ford upped the HP because HP sells cars and its going to help them out in the quarter mile. I am alos sure that Ford tweaked the suspension since they did go to the ring to run some track sessions and if IIRC didn't they leave early or something like that? Fords not stupid they set up a bench mark and they try to meet or achieve it, look at the Boss. They set the target of kicking the M3s *** and supposedly they did it on the first shot and I believe that the Boss did beat the M3 around the track I mean the GT is close to the M3 as is and the added performance enhancements of the Boss with the suspension tweaks only makes it closer. Some cars are going to be faster around other tracks so saying that the ZL1 is faster around the ring may not mean that much, if they could consistently go around the world at all different tracks and post those impressive numbers than that's great no problem but I have a feeling the GT500 is more than capable of handling what the ZL1 has to throw at it.

Quick Reply: The 2013 Shelby has quite a challenge before it!