Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

The 2013 Shelby has quite a challenge before it!

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/11, 11:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2013 Shelby has quite a challenge before it!

Ford better be prepared to really bring something to the table with the 2013 GT500. Just having a higher HP rating is just not going to be enough to beat the ZL1.
That car looks like an unbelievable performer.

Old 10/7/11, 11:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice times but again, not a factory stock car.
Old 10/7/11, 12:05 PM
Cobra R Member

It's completely stock.

This is what was posted on the youtube video- "The Camaro ZL1 used for the lap was a production-intent model, with no performance modifications, driven by Camaro Performance Engineer Aaron "

Last edited by Whammer; 10/7/11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10/7/11, 07:40 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
It's completely stock.

This is what was posted on the youtube video- "The Camaro ZL1 used for the lap was a production-intent model, with no performance modifications, driven by Camaro Performance Engineer Aaron "
Notice the wording "production intent"

In other words , not stock.
Old 10/7/11, 08:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Notice the wording "production intent"

In other words , not stock.
Yeah, which could also mean the car will have even BETTER performance when it comes to market.
I seriously doubt they released that video and then will bring a car to market that doesn't equal that performance. That would be pretty stupid of them.
The bar has been set and I really want to see how Ford responds to it. A bump in HP is not going to cut it.
Old 10/7/11, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, SOMEONE is a big fan. I'll be more impressed when the car is actually being sold and performs that well, until then I'll just say psssssssss

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 10/7/11 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10/7/11, 09:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Well, SOMEONE is a big fan. I'll be more impressed when the car is actually being sold and performs that well, until then I'll just say psssssssss
I'm not a fan of the Camaro at all, but I'm going to give credit where credit is due. That car looked like a monster on The Ring.

It's funny how some people can hear a few rumors or see some mule pictures and post all kinds of "fantasy" about the 2013 GT500 yet when some actual video proof is shown of the ZL1 it's dismissed as nothing more than hype.
Old 10/7/11, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Camaro at all, but I'm going to give credit where credit is due. That car looked like a monster on The Ring.

It's funny how some people can hear a few rumors or see some mule pictures and post all kinds of "fantasy" about the 2013 GT500 yet when some actual video proof is shown of the ZL1 it's dismissed as nothing more than hype.
Just so we're clear, you're not talking about me. Because I've never said a word about any test car, be it from Ford or Chevrolet. Just like I said, when the vehicle is available for purchase and still performs like that, then it deserves credit.
Old 10/8/11, 06:13 AM
V6 Member

It looked impressive! So how that time compare to other performance vehicles?
Old 10/8/11, 06:18 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Take a car off the my local Chevy dealers lot and put in the best driver GM can afford and run it around the Ring and then I will give it credit.

We don't know what they did to the car and businesses will 'cheat' to claim an advantage. It's marketing. Ford would do the same as would Chrylser and Nissan.

Thats kind of why these times are completely meaningless.
Old 10/8/11, 06:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Bet they put some serious tires on it, even if a production care is a bit slower it's still a good time, but that is not a production car. I never dismissed these times, they ran the times and they are awesome, but this is not fresh off the lot is all, which is what they should do if they are going to sell you a ZL1

Last edited by fdjizm; 10/8/11 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10/8/11, 06:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Take a car off the my local Chevy dealers lot and put in the best driver GM can afford and run it around the Ring and then I will give it credit.

We don't know what they did to the car and businesses will 'cheat' to claim an advantage. It's marketing. Ford would do the same as would Chrylser and Nissan.

Thats kind of why these times are completely meaningless.

So you're saying that all the videos Ford puts out of the Boss and the GT500 are all lies? That the cars cannot perform that well?

I think some people just do not want to believe what the ZL1 is capable of, it might be a case of being in denial.
There is nothing wrong with competition, it brings out the best someone has to offer.
Ford KNOWS what they have to do and it's just a case of can they do it, or are they willing to do it.
We will see in a few months.
Old 10/8/11, 06:46 AM
Post *****

So you're saying that all the videos Ford puts out of the Boss and the GT500 are all lies? That the cars cannot perform that well?

I think some people just do not want to believe what the ZL1 is capable of, it might be a case of being in denial.
There is nothing wrong with competition, it brings out the best someone has to offer.
Ford KNOWS what they have to do and it's just a case of can they do it, or are they willing to do it.
We will see in a few months.

Don't put words in my mouth to try to prove your point. I'm not disagreeing that Ford needs to step up but I also don't fall for Madison Avenue marketing gimmicks.
Old 10/8/11, 06:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MattN03
It looked impressive! So how that time compare to other performance vehicles?

I'm no expert on The Ring times but from comments I have read that time is right up there with some of the best cars in the world. It's almost as quick as the Ford GT.
Here's what autoblog wrote:

"How quickly do you think the Porsche 911 Turbo S can make its way around the Nürburgring? How about the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640, or the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG? The Ferrari 430 Scuderia? Would you believe all those amazing machines have been timed at around seven minutes, forty seconds around the famous German race track.

And so has the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

Driven by GM test driver Aaron Link, using a production-spec car with no performance modifications, the 580-horsepower (and 556 pound-feet of torque) ZL1 proved 40 seconds faster than the regular-grade Camaro SS, says the automaker. It's also a bit quicker than the 7:59 recorded by GM for the Cadillac CTS-V, though not quite as blistering as the Corvette Z06 and ZR1.

You might be saying that such timing exercises are meaningless, and for the most part, you'd be right. There is no official production car lap board kept anywhere but in enthusiasts' heads and hearts (oh, and on Wikipedia...), but fast times are invaluable marketing material and are at least an interesting comparative mental exercise."

Note the time the Caddy did, 7:59. The Caddy is faster than the current GT500. Can Ford rise to meet the challenge? We'll see in a few months.

Last edited by Whammer; 10/8/11 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10/8/11, 07:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Don't put words in my mouth to try to prove your point. I'm not disagreeing that Ford needs to step up but I also don't fall for Madison Avenue marketing gimmicks.
I'm putting words into your mouth? You're the one dismissing this as just smoke and mirrors. I haven't seen a video from Ford showing a performance like I just saw the ZL1 do. Chevy is serious about winning this muscle car war and for the first time Ford has a real challenge in front of it. Giving the GT500 more HP than the ZL1 is not going to be enough to win this war. Ford has a lot of work in front of them and hopefully they have been readying themselves for this day.
Old 10/8/11, 07:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Here's the laps times for the 'Ring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
Old 10/8/11, 11:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Don't act like GM won't deviate from the truth now and again, they have done it before...
Remember that "loan paid off" commercial? lol
Old 10/8/11, 12:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

So you're taking a car company at their word? and of all companies GM?

Fdjizm already posted once instead where they stretched the truth lol
Old 10/8/11, 12:53 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 622 Likes on 447 Posts
Subscribing.
Old 10/8/11, 01:04 PM
Post *****

If they touch the car in any way it's

Sure they can claim it if they want, but it's apples and oranges.

Honestly its pretty naive to think otherwise. It's like the old argument of the 1/4 mile. One guy wants to claim his car is a 12 second car and the other says his is an 11 second car with slicks. They are both right maybe, but it's not the same. Especially on a track it takes 8 freaking minutes to get around.

Some people think the 07-09 Shelby is an awesome car, some think the 2011 Shelby is better, some think the 07-09 Shelby with a Super Snake package is better, some think the Boss LS is better, and still some think the ZL1 is better than all of those. Sometimes those are all the same people.

I just saw a Nissan commercial where they landed the nose of jumbo jet in the back of a pickup. I suppose that really happened too.

And a production truck no less.

Some people just don't know when to give up...

Quick Reply: The 2013 Shelby has quite a challenge before it!