Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

2013 GT or 2011 Shelby

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/12, 04:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GT or 2011 Shelby

For an increase in $100 a month I have a chance to go from my GHIG 2013 GT with trackPack, Recaro and Sync options to a Silver 2011 Shelby GT500 with Electronics Pkg and SVTP Performance Pkg. The other option is to super-charge my 2013 GT.

Would you do it? Why or Why not?
Old 12/22/12, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a no brainer....... SHELBY!!!!
Old 12/22/12, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
For an increase in $100 a month I have a chance to go from my GHIG 2013 GT with trackPack, Recaro and Sync options to a Silver 2011 Shelby GT500 with Electronics Pkg and SVTP Performance Pkg. The other option is to super-charge my 2013 GT.

Would you do it? Why or Why not?
Well you got your GT to be your toy car that you can mod. Is the Shaker 500/outdated EP and mod motor exhaust note (versus Coyote note) worth it to you?

You've already owned a Shelby right? I know you had the Boss...I'd say SC your GT and build it up!

Last edited by laserred38; 12/22/12 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12/22/12, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Well you got your GT to be your toy car that you can mod. Is the Shaker 500/outdated EP and mod motor exhaust note (versus Coyote note) worth it to you?

You've already owned a Shelby right? I know you had the Boss...I'd say SC your GT and build it up!
Your seriously not comparing a audio system and exhaust notes are you? Cmon man, that shelbys got so much more to offer than the gt!!!
Old 12/22/12, 04:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Haven't owned a Shelby yet. I have had many GTs and a 2012 Boss 302 prior to this 2013 GT. The Electronics Pkg isn't a big deal to me. I listed it because it is an option the car has on it. I was about to upgrade my 2013 base stereo system

Last edited by MyStang2010GB; 12/22/12 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12/22/12, 04:33 PM
Cobra Member

Haven't owned a Shelby yet. I have had many GTs and a 2012 Boss 302 prior to this 2013 GT.
Imho, what i would do is sit on that gt for a few years then pick up a mint 2013 gt500
Old 12/22/12, 04:44 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm going to give you a boring, practical view. Can you easily afford the extra $100 a month? Do you plan on seriously modifying your GT? If you answered yes to both of these questions I say get the GT500.

I have learned over the years that if you can afford the initial investment factory fast is the way to go. Can you make your GT as fast as a GT500? Probably, but it is more cost effective in the long run to get the GT500. Your GT wasn't built to be that fast so I think there is a lot of risk involved in heavily modified GTs. I know some will debate me on this and my answer if if you have the mod bug you will always have more potential with the GT500.

I personally don't look at long term value and you seem to go through a lot of cars so the resale may be a selling point, but I'm sure your insurance will increase with it. IF you are perfectly happy with the GT keep it, but if you feel you will regret not getting the GT500 then go for it!

good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 12/22/12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12/22/12, 04:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I'm going to give you a boring, practical view. Can you easily afford the extra $100 a month? Do you plan on seriously modifying your GT? If you answered yes to both of these questions I say get the GT500.

I have learned over the years that if you can afford the initial investment factory fast is the way to go. Can you make your GT as fast as a GT500? Probably, but it is more cost effective in the long run to get the GT500. Your GT wasn't built to be that fast so I think there is a lot of risk involved in heavily modified GTs. I know some will debate me on this and my answer if if you have the mod bug you will always have more potential with the GT500.

I personally don't look at long term value and you seem to go through a lot of cars so the resale may be a selling point, but I'm sure your insurance will increase with it. IF you are perfectly happy with the GT keep it, but if you feel you will regret not getting the GT500 then go for it!

I think this is the best answer. I read a lot about making a gt a better car than a Shelby or boss through mods. If you wanted a boss or Shelby, you can change what you want but it won't change what the car is. I think it is cheaper to buy the car you want than to chase it with mods later. I would have bought a boss if I could have afforded it. I couldn't afford it. So I'll have to chase it through mods. If you can afford the car you want, I say do it.

Last edited by Mr. V; 12/22/12 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12/22/12, 05:31 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V

I think this is the best answer. I read a lot about making a gt a better car than a Shelby or boss through mods. If you wanted a boss or Shelby, you can change what you want but it won't change what the car is. I think it is cheaper to buy the car you want than to chase it with mods later. I would have bought a boss if I could have afforded it. I couldn't afford it. So I'll have to chase it through mods. If you can afford the car you want, I say do it.
Wow that's thrown off. No offense. Out of the 3, the GT is the only one without a forged motor. The only one not capable of sustaining 700+ hp. All 3 bodies are on the same chassis. How can 1 rolling chassis be better? Ant nothing wrong with customizing a Boss or Shelby either. So again no offense but you CAN'T make a GT a better car if you are modding all 3 of them.
Old 12/22/12, 06:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra

Wow that's thrown off. No offense. Out of the 3, the GT is the only one without a forged motor. The only one not capable of sustaining 700+ hp. All 3 bodies are on the same chassis. How can 1 rolling chassis be better? Ant nothing wrong with customizing a Boss or Shelby either. So again no offense but you CAN'T make a GT a better car if you are modding all 3 of them.
Lol, maybe I quoted the previous person wrong. What i am saying is that you can't a beat factory prepared car that is a performance model. There is no substitute. I said that I had to mod as close as I could because I could not afford the boss I actually wanted. I agree you CANNOT build a superior car for less money. That is why I ended with buy the boss. If I felt you could do better with a gt and modding, I wouldn't have said that. I hope I made more sense this time.
Old 12/22/12, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V

Lol, maybe I quoted the previous person wrong. What i am saying is that you can't a beat factory prepared car that is a performance model. There is no substitute. I said that I had to mod as close as I could because I could not afford the boss I actually wanted. I agree you CANNOT build a superior car for less money. That is why I ended with buy the boss. If I felt you could do better with a gt and modding, I wouldn't have said that. I hope I made more sense this time.
I think you and Al were agreeing, he probably just had too much to drink tonight

I'd personally want an '11 Shelby over the '13 GT, but the OP historically hasn't kept a car for more than a year or two, and never really modified the engine much. Just judging from his initial plans for the GT he ordered, I suggested to stay with it and execute his plan. Of course, mod for mod the Shelby is going to respond better, and hold a higher value. The OP says he was going to change the stereo anyways, but other than the forged internals, EP (which on a car a few years old isn't even upgradable anymore - this highly annoys me since the dash looks so much cleaner with it!), standard Shaker audio, and supercharger already slapped on, really what is the big difference, mechanically, between a stock GT500 with Performance Package and GT Track Package - not much. Yes, one isn't a Shelby, but mechanically, that's not a big difference, especially if the OP doesn't go far beyond just throwing a basic SC on the GT.

Now the transmission...well that's another story
Old 12/22/12, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm going to give you a boring, practical view. Can you easily afford the extra $100 a month? Very easily. Do you plan on seriously modifying your GT? I was about to order a super-charger for it. If you answered yes to both of these questions I say get the GT500. This was my thought as well.

I answered your questions above. One additional factor was I have not heard of any GT500 engine issues except for those that really went crazy on the HP. I know the risk of adding a S/C to the 5.0 motor has decreased as the tunes have gotten better but I still read about failures. If I stay with my car and add the S/C I was gonna go conservative and do the Roush or FRPP Whipple at my dealer to get the warranty coverage. For less than the cost of the Roush or FRPP S/C plus install as a downpayment I could step up to this GT500. Since I don't put alot of miles per year on the car i can get Haggerty's to insure the car. Their quote was less than I currently pay for the GT with GEICO.

Thoughts?
Old 12/22/12, 09:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Id still go with the GT500, the mods you have planed for your gt should put it at stock GT500 territory. Why not get that power stock, with all the other upgrades plus better resale. I say get the Shelby! Shelbys are pretty much bullet proof

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 12/22/12 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12/22/12, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree that the Shelby is the way to go. Resale would be a big factor for me (and it seems you don't tend to keep a car very long either, heh).

Plus you'd get the cool Cobra emblem. That's worth like 20k.
Old 12/22/12, 09:38 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Id still go with the GT500, the mods you have planed for your gt should put it at stock GT500 territory. Why not get that power stock, with all the other upgrades plus better resale. I say get the Shelby! Shelbys are pretty much bullet proof
---

Plus there is a 'wow' factor with the Shelby (read: Jealous!). Seriously, 550HP stock from Ford, with SVTPP, ready for the track? Really? Go for it, you lucky dog! The Shelby is a very special car.
Old 12/22/12, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it the one in Brandon? If so I sat in it today and that is a really nice car....did you see the Black 2008?
Old 12/22/12, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Onelildude
Is it the one in Brandon? If so I sat in it today and that is a really nice car....did you see the Black 2008?
Yes, It is the one at Brandon. I drove both but honestly I prefer the newer body. It's actually over at my neighbors (salesman) house right now. He drove it home so I can really check it over good.

I'm actually torn between trading or not trading. Always wanted a Shelby and although this probably wouldn't be my only shot at getting one... it is the closet I've had.
Old 12/22/12, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, It is the one at Brandon. I drove both but honestly I prefer the newer body. It's actually over at my neighbors (salesman) house right now. He drove it home so I can really check it over good.

I'm actually torn between trading or not trading. Always wanted a Shelby and although this probably wouldn't be my only shot at getting one... it is the closet I've had.
I sat in both and i and i really like the 2011, and the thought of trading my 2010 for it crossed my mind but i gotta wait on the '15...and if i don't like it for whatever reason I might pick up a used 2013 GT500 on the cheap!
Old 12/22/12, 10:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts

Have to agree with Phil here. I love mine, and I was actually on the fence at first about buying it because I loved my SGT so much. I explored all options on getting it where I wanted power wise, and when comparing dollars it would take to supercharge it, the reliability, etc vs upgrading to the Shelby, I kept coming back to the GT500. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing modded cars, I've had a ton of them, but I've also learned that the more you mod them away from stock for more performance, the less "livable" they get, and actually start losing enjoyment at some point because you're constantly worried about what is going to break next, the annoying quirks that come with modded cars, etc.

That being said, as much as I loved my SGT, I don't regret swapping it for a minute when I slide behind the wheel of the 500 and fire it up. It electrifies something in me and I feel like the baddest **** on the planet when it roars to life.

As much as people noticed the SGT, it doesn't even compare to the reactions I get in the 500. EVERYONE seems to know its something out of the ordinary (around here at least). I've been at cruise-ins parked in a line of Mustangs and everyone will stop when they come to it. I've seen women and even little kids walk right by other really nice Mustangs then stop, point at it and say "That one is a Cobra!", or "that one is a Shelby!"

Even in this line of wonderful cars (including a KR, a Saleen and a beautiful Challenger) it got more attention hands down than any other car on the block.

Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  121.3 KB

I answered your questions above. One additional factor was I have not heard of any GT500 engine issues except for those that really went crazy on the HP. I know the risk of adding a S/C to the 5.0 motor has decreased as the tunes have gotten better but I still read about failures. If I stay with my car and add the S/C I was gonna go conservative and do the Roush or FRPP Whipple at my dealer to get the warranty coverage. For less than the cost of the Roush or FRPP S/C plus install as a downpayment I could step up to this GT500. Since I don't put alot of miles per year on the car i can get Haggerty's to insure the car. Their quote was less than I currently pay for the GT with GEICO.

Thoughts?
I'm in the same boat, mine is just a toy to get out and play around with, I've got other stuff to drive everyday. I've got my '70 Sportsroof insured with Haggerty, and I actually came out better on insurance putting the GT500 on my policy with my other cars through Farmers as a pleasure vehicle.

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---

Plus there is a 'wow' factor with the Shelby (read: Jealous!). Seriously, 550HP stock from Ford, with SVTPP, ready for the track? Really? Go for it, you lucky dog! The Shelby is a very special car.
Have to agree, see my ramblings above. Its such a great car right out of the box. I've had a LOT of Mustangs (from bone stock mild, to built wild) and I'll say that this one is probably my favorite all around Mustang that I've ever owned. That could just be due to the fact that I'm getting old though, lol.

And how could you argue with looks like this. Stand by for gratuitous photos.

Name:  d628c8e4.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  2eab6c95.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  111.6 KB

The day I switched. A combination of thrilling excitement about the new one and sadness about letting go of the other one, wondering if it would end up in a good home that cared for it the way I did.

Name:  751c1dcb.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  212.9 KB

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/22/12 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12/22/12, 10:49 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The fact that you even had to ask this question makes me sad.

If you even have to ask I'm not sure the GT500 is right for you.

Just messin with ya. But it really is a no brainer. Coming from a guy with a GT that's pushing about 550 at the crank I'd still go with the Shelby. Plus some poor bastards already taken the 2 year hit on the depreciation for you.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT or 2011 Shelby