'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

13 GT looks very similar to the GT500

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/11, 03:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by future9er24
dunno about that...

I was thinking the same thing about the same Mustang's. I don't think the Mustang semi-cowl stock hood is a copy of anything from Chevy. Muscle cars and cowl hoods just go hand in hand.
Old 11/6/11, 04:26 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
I don't know why you waste the energy to post? I don't bother to read anything you post, it's just inane babbling.
Before it was the superior Camaro performance. Now it is the Mustang GT stealing the thunder. I can hardly wait for you to post the news on the Challanger posing a threat to the GT500's interior, gas consumption, or some other stupid which one is better comparisson.

It matters little how you try to downgrade the GT500. I don't see any GT500 owners worrying or tripping over themselves to modify or wanting to make their cars look like the Boss, CS, GT, or basic Mustang. The GT500 is still the top dog from one end to the other.

It is fine that you decided to play second fiddle specially if you are content with your decision. Now it is time for you to swallow the melody and live with it. If not I am sure you can always find excuses or faults to justify a trade in hopes to satisfy others' perceptions.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 11/6/11 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11/6/11, 04:44 AM
GTR Member

I definitely wouldn't call the refresh "lazy". Seems like leaving it as-is would have been the easier way out. Besides, what's the big deal that the design trickled down? How do you even know if the '13 GT500 hasn't been changed dramatically and has it's own unique look? There are a lot of assumptions being made that have yet to be proven. No one has posted pictures of what appears to be a GT500 online, so right now nobody really knows what it may look like.

I'm not overly impressed with the front, but the rear definitely interests me. Most notably, the tails themselves. You've got 10 days to wait until LA, and all your questions will be answered.
Old 11/6/11, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I definitely wouldn't call the refresh "lazy". Seems like leaving it as-is would have been the easier way out. Besides, what's the big deal that the design trickled down? How do you even know if the '13 GT500 hasn't been changed dramatically and has it's own unique look? There are a lot of assumptions being made that have yet to be proven. No one has posted pictures of what appears to be a GT500 online, so right now nobody really knows what it may look like.

I'm not overly impressed with the front, but the rear definitely interests me. Most notably, the tails themselves. You've got 10 days to wait until LA, and all your questions will be answered.

That is what I think. Everyone is already bashing the refress but has only seen the camo cars. Like you, I am interested in the rear. It appears that they have lost the cladding behind the tires and along the rear bumper cover while painting these body color. It also looks like they have painted the rocker panels as well and this with the losing the cladding in the rear will be a big compliment to the car.
Old 11/6/11, 05:21 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by VTXFrank
I was thinking the same thing about the same Mustang's. I don't think the Mustang semi-cowl stock hood is a copy of anything from Chevy. Muscle cars and cowl hoods just go hand in hand.
Yes, with respect to the after market. No with respect to OEM hoods. Also, fake hood scoops are not in the same category.
Old 11/6/11, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok if you think this is "lazy" look at the porsche 911 series. Pretty much same design formula for the past eleventy million years! Anyway back to what im really gonna say...
IMO i think this looks fine, especially considering the 50th is coming up an theyre going to have an all new car after that. Most likely the Global 'Stang. Im sure this is a very cost-effective way to change up the design of the mustang while still keeping most parts looking similar to something they already have. Not "lazy" in fact i think its a very smart marketing strategy, saving tons of money this way so they can devote the majority of their time and resources on the '15 mustang. Theres my .02
Old 11/6/11, 06:22 AM
GTR Member

I think with the painted sides and rear, the car is going to look bigger than the '10-12 cars did. I know the '05-09 cars had the painted sides and rear, but they didn't seem as "tall" as the newer cars.

Pinoy, you're right though. We joke here at work about Porsche having the laziest designers in the business. 40+ years of a refreshed, gussied up VW Bug.
Old 11/6/11, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I think with the painted sides and rear, the car is going to look bigger than the '10-12 cars did. I know the '05-09 cars had the painted sides and rear, but they didn't seem as "tall" as the newer cars.

Pinoy, you're right though. We joke here at work about Porsche having the laziest designers in the business. 40+ years of a refreshed, gussied up VW Bug.
But if you look at its design compared to function, theres a reason they stick to it. Optimal arrodynamics, great layout which is greatly balanced out, and has become the iconic porsche shape. Sometimes its best not to mess with a good thing
Old 11/6/11, 08:14 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Pinoy361
But if you look at its design compared to function, theres a reason they stick to it. Optimal arrodynamics, great layout which is greatly balanced out, and has become the iconic porsche shape. Sometimes its best not to mess with a good thing
I won't argue that. Seems like once you get good at something, you don't need revolution, just evolution. That's exactly what the 911 is today.
Old 11/6/11, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
I don't know why you waste the energy to post? I don't bother to read anything you post, it's just inane babbling.

I thought what was posted was a valid point...
Old 11/6/11, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I won't argue that. Seems like once you get good at something, you don't need revolution, just evolution. That's exactly what the 911 is today.
I gotta say though the brand new 911's look somethin nasty! It can match the veyron and beat the new gtr so it really is one toxic car. If i had the money id definitely pick up a '12 911 Turbo S. My favorite thing too is that theyre quiet, most ppl wouldnt know it was a veyron rival unril you slam that pedal!
Old 11/6/11, 01:16 PM
Cobra Member

I would love for the Mustang to become that.

Do we know if the fascia in question is exactly the GT500 fascia or just one that's heavily influenced by it? They look nearly identical to my eye, but there may be details I'm missing...
Old 11/6/11, 11:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I would love for the Mustang to become that.

Do we know if the fascia in question is exactly the GT500 fascia or just one that's heavily influenced by it? They look nearly identical to my eye, but there may be details I'm missing...
It is not the exact GT500 fascia. It may be modified molds of the GT500 fascia. You can clearly see the 2013 front fascia does not contain the large round foglamps of the GT500 but rather feature the 10-12 V6 style square-cut fog lamp trim and small projector lamps. The hood appears to be the GT500 hood without the air inlet trough. I totally expect the slot below the fog lamps to house those LED DRL's that are "all the rage".

Everyone seems to have forgotten about this picture:

This is likely the GT with fogs in grille or Boss with fog lamp delete...

This is obviously the base V6 grille...

This is likely the California Special or GT grille with no fogs.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/7/11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11/15/11, 11:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I certainly like the new look of the 2013 GT. True it has some similarities in appearance to a GT500, but still looks different. I am really impressed how Ford has added some really good performance options to the 2013 GT. The Mustang GT will now be a car truly worthy of the GT name.
If I was not so wanting a GT500, I would certainly want a 2013 GT.