Notices
'10-14 Special Editions and Aftermarket Mustangs

How many considering the BOSS302?

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/11, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How many considering the BOSS302?

I was curious to know if I'm in this same boat alone.

I bought a fully loaded 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT Premium last year, and I've partly enjoyed it. Still bone stock, only a 1000 miles, and was interested in doing some very tasty mods on it, once I knew what was out there- and what would be the best for my car.

I have everything good on my Premium. Glass Roof, 3:73's, Brembos, Electronics Navigation Package, HID's, 401a pony inserts/with Aluminum shifter. Heck even have the comfort package with rear view camera!

My Stang is a Black Beauty with Red Brick Interior.

BUT- I love the new BOSS 302! I saw one in person- Orange with the Recaro racing seats, and was taken back.

Everything about it. Ported Heads, Exhaust, It's Stance, and the Plain Interior stand out to me. Apples to Oranges!!

I talked to a few dealers today who have them coming. One of the Dealers wants $5,000 over MSRP! They may get it, but not from me... I got X-plan on my 42,000 car and paid 41,800 out the door with everything. I owe 30k on it now, cause I put $6500 cash down on it at the signing.

But I want the BOSS! I may end up paying the difference.. But I look at it this way. I haven't even tinted my windows, and only have 1000 miles on my new 2011 5.0 Premium Black Beauty. If I go starting to put Borla Exhaust, change the Headers for Full Length Headers, do a Cold Air Intake, and maybe put a BOSS 302 intake on it, with SCT Tuning, we're talking big $$$ already anyway. Not to mention- the BOSS302 also has the modified suspension, exhaust, 5 angle Ported Heads, and extra Horspower right out of the box.

Why have anyone touch my car, when it can come like that already?

I am really debating this in my mind. This has been driving me nuts. I dont want a supercharger or turbo on my Mustang. Been there, done that. Too hot, heavy, always seem to have driveability problems, and just isnt' the same. Squeezing Horsepower from a naturally aspirated engine, with the suspension to stick to the ground is where it's at...

Feel free to chime in. I welcome all comments.

Last edited by ipodintampa; 4/17/11 at 10:24 AM.
Old 4/20/11, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I say keep yours glass roof etc. Mod it out keep the nice bits get the boss parts you like and want don't lose the money which you will ultimately will lose selling a gt with 1000 miles. I almost bought a 2011 kona premium for 29000 from a dealer. All be it no glass roof hid navi or brembo but still 3-4k off list and they gave the guy 27000 on a trade.
Old 5/5/11, 09:50 AM

Keep yours, you'll miss those features before long, especially if it's a DD. You'll take a huge hit on the trade-in, pay at BEST msrp for a Boss and good luck getting a desired color at a good deal. Special edition mustangs are (it hurts to say this) becoming a dime-a-dozen recently, you'll save more cash and get a better end-product by keeping your car and doing the full exhaust, suspension, etc. Boss may have more curb appeal, but yours will bring YOU more pleasure in every way, except maybe aesthetics and the "I own a ____" syndrome. There's a guy on here who dyno'ed 500 N/A, so for performance and pimping-vehicle-ness, it's no question.
Old 5/6/11, 10:41 AM
Cobra Member

Go ask a dealer who has a Boss they would be willing to sell you at MSRP what they would be willing to give you for your trade. That answer should make up your mind, unless you are prepared to eat 5k or more in the deal.

I myself am trying to find a Boss at MSRP in the June/July time frame, but will not pay more. Having to 'settle' for 'just a 5.0' isn't such a bad thing. If you really just gotta have a Boss, would you be willing to buy a used one? Are the 2012 Boss colors what you want, or would you want one of the other colors offered on the 2013 models with the different stripe design?

I think the Boss craze will die down come year end, and deals will be available for those willing to buy during the winter month when sales volumes dip.

I have been able to drive my wife's '11 GT for quite a while now, and I know that it's the pure driving feel and pleasure of that engine I like most. If I need nav, I'll use my TomTom. If I want better audio, I'll upgrade the stereo. It all comes down to what you really want & need.

-ace72
Old 5/6/11, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Took my '10 in for warranty work and shifter install looked in the showroom at the two Boss 302s both with a 9800 markup. So 53k for the boss and I bet one of the 9 Shelby gt500s you could get in the high 40s.
Old 5/12/11, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

most boss cars are not selling at mark ups unless its a laguna seca. they are just hoping someone will walk in and plunk down stupid money. walk in, tell them you want it today at sticker, they will get right. many boss owners have done that.
Old 5/12/11, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Sat in one the other day it was awesome but for me as a daily driver I like my leather, navigation and all. Guess I am getting old lol. 40 haha
Old 5/12/11, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

My neighbor down the street just picked up a race red boss and he let me take it for a spin. **** that was sick!! And plus hes known me since i was a very small child and i watch his kids and pets when he leaves for vacation. He said i can drive the car when he leaves for vacation, as in hes leaving the keys with me!!!
Old 5/13/11, 03:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
My neighbor down the street just picked up a race red boss and he let me take it for a spin. **** that was sick!! And plus hes known me since i was a very small child and i watch his kids and pets when he leaves for vacation. He said i can drive the car when he leaves for vacation, as in hes leaving the keys with me!!!
Now that's a friend!
Old 5/13/11, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

No sir, thats "family" (:
Old 5/13/11, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

No sir, thats "family" (:
I wouldn't lend my car to any1 in my family. I'd be lucky if it came back in less than 4 pieces
Old 5/13/11, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736

I wouldn't lend my car to any1 in my family. I'd be lucky if it came back in less than 4 pieces
Haha well this guy taught me how to launch and do a proper burnout and even how to drive stick so he knows i can take care of it
Old 5/13/11, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Haha well this guy taught me how to launch and do a proper burnout and even how to drive stick so he knows i can take care of it
Nice!
Old 5/13/11, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea, im so excited! He will be leaving next tuesday and be gone until june 6th!
And on june 7th im off to hawaii where my dad has a kawasaki ninja, 2012 gtr black edition, 03 termi with a whipple blower, and a sick *** wrangler )
Old 5/28/11, 12:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
I was curious to know if I'm in this same boat alone.

I also have a fully loaded GT and saw the Boss and fell in love. The only way I'd get rid of my car for a Boss is that I can break even or make a profit on the sale. Dealers can kiss my butt if they think I'll pay one red cent over MSRP. I'll buy whatever Boss parts that are for sale like the intake I'm planning to get without making it look like a clone. Sooner or later my car will out perform, out handle, your adverage Boss anyway. Besides, not taking nothing away from the Boss 302, I have a Pegasus 5.0 it's unique and not another exactly like it on the planet.
Old 5/29/11, 02:55 PM

I know where you're coming from. I have a 2010 GT premium, Candy Red, saddle interior, shaker stereo, 5-speed and really like it. This year we started doing autocross and HPDE and my GTP could use a little help in a few areas. My husband drives a 2000 Corvette at these events that has had modifications done to the suspension, cooling, brake, exhaust, and transmission.

When we started talking about doing the same to my Mustang and looked at what we spent on the vette, the decision was easy. I went in to search mode, found a dealer that had a BOSS coming in and plunked down a deposit on a Race Red one. It was due at the dealer May 7 so it should be here shortly. I only paid MSRP.

The problem when you start playing the add-on game with a new vehicle is what ones do or don't void your warranty. The BOSS was built for the track, eventually the TracKey PCM will be released and nothing it does voids any warranty.

If you think you'll use the features that make the BOSS go beyond just a daily driver to ease the pain of the hit you're going to take when trading in your 2011...GO FOR IT!
Old 6/7/11, 12:03 PM

As mentioned if your Mustang is a DD you may miss some of that stuff you have now. The Boss has no sync, no glass roof, hell it does not even have satellite radio. If on the other hand your Mustang is a weekend fun car by all means get one. I have one and was lucky enough to pay sticker and it is without question the most awesome Mustang Ford has ever built.

The only down side, the car begs to be driven and driven fast. A friend of mine who also owns one was able to put it in words “This car is dangerous, dangerous as in your going to get pulled over, license revoked and car impounded dangerous”. While neither of us has had that happen yet, he is right; it is very easy to push the car well beyond reasonable speeds around town. The sound is intoxicating (restrictor plates out), while not nearly as flashy as my GT500 it still commands attention and the car pulls, pulls like crazy from about 3,500 rpm to the redline.

So it comes down to what you need the Mustang for, and the hit you take on trading your 11' in for (I would try and sell it on my own) may be less than what you could pay for in mods to it to make it a better car. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 9/10/11, 07:05 PM

Laguna Seca

I have access to a 2012 Laguna Black with red and only 1500 miles on it. My friend wants 55.000 with no sales tax. I just bought mine and he needs to get rid of his. Please contact me if interested. The number is LS 0063

Last edited by mrgeorge73; 9/10/11 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Mispelled word.
Old 9/14/11, 07:21 PM
V6 Member

The boss was included in motor trends "best drivers" competition along the side of 10 very respectable expensive cars and placed 8th in the drag race and 5th overall that is amazing for a car that's almost half the price of the cheapest car.
Old 9/14/11, 09:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dhanulec

The only down side, the car begs to be driven and driven fast. A friend of mine who also owns one was able to put it in words "This car is dangerous, dangerous as in your going to get pulled over, license revoked and car impounded dangerous". While neither of us has had that happen yet, he is right; it is very easy to push the car well beyond reasonable speeds around town. The sound is intoxicating (restrictor plates out),
I can confirm this. I am glad that my Boss is not my DD. I am normally a very safe, law abiding driver. But in the Boss the car takes over. I do speeds and cornering I would never consider doing in our other cars. I did 115 in a 45 zone with my 83 year old mother in the car. She just laughed and said "Im glad I brought my purse so they can ID my body if we crash." I have not gotten a ticket in 25 years, but I am pretty sure one is on the near horizon with the Boss.

Quick Reply: How many considering the BOSS302?