Notices
'10-14 Special Editions and Aftermarket Mustangs

2011 California Special & SVT Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/09, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many here in this thread seemed to be concerned about the name of the Mustang being able to somehow transform the car into something it already is, A GREAT CAR ! Shelby is a good name, SVT is a good badge, so is Cobra! Folks, it could be so much worse ! How about a 2011 Mustang Grande?! Or a Ghia ?! Or a 2+2? Or (forgive me Arin) a Mustang II ?! All previous badges on earlier Mustangs! Ford (wisely) didn't use these due to their lack-luster appeal. The GT/CS at least was appealing despite its resemblance to the Shelby and was even more rare! At least here on the East coast. But they don't need to make another GT/CS in '11 . It would be overdueing a good thing to continue that theme. Bring back Mach1 ! Bring back the BOSS ! Can you imagine the ad campaign?! " The Boss is Back!" ready to Jap-slap the rice-burners and send the Camaro back into oblivion and proving the Challenger challenged !!

Last edited by red pony; 11/25/09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11/25/09, 10:20 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give me a GTS with EcoBoost and Id buy in a heartbeat.

Why GT/CS again? What about the High Country Special? Or Sprint? Or Grande? Or Boss? Or Twister Special? Or Sidewinders?
Old 11/25/09, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by red pony
So many here in this thread seemed to be concerned about the name of the Mustang being able to somehow transform the car into something it already is, A GREAT CAR ! Shelby is a good name, SVT is a good badge, so is Cobra! Folks, it could be so much worse ! How about a 2011 Mustang Grande?! Or a Ghia ?! Or a 2+2? Or (forgive me Arin) a Mustang II ?! All previous badges on earlier Mustangs! Ford (wisely) didn't use these due to their lack-luster appeal. The GT/CS at least was appealing despite its resemblance to the Shelby and was even more rare! At least here on the East coast. But they don't need to make another GT/CS in '11 . It would be overdueing a good thing to continue that theme. Bring back Mach1 ! Bring back the BOSS ! Can you imagine the ad campaign?! " The Boss is Back!" ready to Jap-slap the rice-burners and send the Camaro back into oblivion and proving the Challenger challenged !!
Great 300th Post!!--minus the almost racist remark

Last edited by mjbarnet; 11/25/09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11/25/09, 11:21 PM
Cobra Member

Eh?

Originally Posted by mjbarnet
minus the almost racist remark
Old 11/26/09, 04:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Eh?
I think he was talking about the Jap-Slap remark.
Old 11/26/09, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Ahhh, thanks. I don't really get why Jap is a racist remark, I guess. Finn, Dane, Brit, Aussie, etc. are all abbreviations of nationalities too but I've never put a racist connotation to them. I guess you could Brit Hit a British car just like you can Jap Slap a Japanese car.
Old 11/26/09, 02:13 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Ahhh, thanks. I don't really get why Jap is a racist remark, I guess. Finn, Dane, Brit, Aussie, etc. are all abbreviations of nationalities too but I've never put a racist connotation to them. I guess you could Brit Hit a British car just like you can Jap Slap a Japanese car.
Don't mind any PC weenies here. Nothing racist at all about "Jap". People need to lighten up.
Old 11/26/09, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, you silly Yanks...
Old 11/26/09, 05:58 PM
Cobra Member

Oh, you silly Canucks...
Old 11/26/09, 08:33 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
No need for any of it here period. Lets end the whats racist and whats not crap and continue on our merry full of turkey ways.
Old 12/6/09, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I've stated this before, but I feel like it's a point that people miss when discussing the Shelby/SVT name topic.

Generally speaking, who is going to be buying a 50k dollar Mustang??? Not anyone in their 20's or 30's that have grown up with SVT Cobras and have learnt to resepct those cars that SVT has put out in recent years. Almost no one in that age bracket has the money to afford a car like that unless they have won the lottery or are a drug dealer. That is just a simple fact.

The people able to afford GT500's are older, and likely have a huge nostalgia for the models of the 60's that they couldn't afford back then. Hence the Shelby name being tacked on to it, and a bit of retro styling.

It's just Ford simply being aware of who is in their market bracket, and making the car more appealing to them.
I think for the most part you're on to something. Too bad the deal with Shelby caused some of the other models to be wrongfully short-changed on better/bigger engine options.

Last edited by TXBLUOVAL; 12/6/09 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12/8/09, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I've stated this before, but I feel like it's a point that people miss when discussing the Shelby/SVT name topic.

Generally speaking, who is going to be buying a 50k dollar Mustang??? Not anyone in their 20's or 30's that have grown up with SVT Cobras and have learnt to resepct those cars that SVT has put out in recent years. Almost no one in that age bracket has the money to afford a car like that unless they have won the lottery or are a drug dealer. That is just a simple fact.

The people able to afford GT500's are older, and likely have a huge nostalgia for the models of the 60's that they couldn't afford back then. Hence the Shelby name being tacked on to it, and a bit of retro styling.

It's just Ford simply being aware of who is in their market bracket, and making the car more appealing to them.
I'm 36...and have had 6 Mustangs (2 SVT's).....and haven't won the lottery or deal---I just started saving and working a bunch of overtime in aniticipation of buying one. But I definitely think you are headed in the right direction. I have only seen a handful since 2007........and the owners were all "older" than me. I never in my life thought I would be paying $50K for a car....let alone a Mustang. But **** am I happy I did!!!! I love this thing!!! I think we need a pole to find the age group of Shelby owners.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 California Special & SVT Performance Package-shelby101209_062.jpg  

Last edited by sharpie; 12/8/09 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12/8/09, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sharpie
I'm 36...and have had 6 Mustangs (2 SVT's).....and haven't won the lottery or deal---I just started saving and working a bunch of overtime in aniticipation of buying one. But I definitely think you are headed in the right direction. I have only seen a handful since 2007........and the owners were all "older" than me. I never in my life thought I would be paying $50K for a car....let alone a Mustang. But **** am I happy I did!!!! I love this thing!!! I think we need a pole to find the age group of Shelby owners.
Yeah, I didn't mean to generalize quite so much, or suggest that anyone who is young and has an expensive car is a drug dealer. Of course it's possible for almost anyone to buy a GT500 if they are really committed to it, but generally speaking, most people make more money as they get older, so the older you are, the more likely that you are going to be able to reasonably afford such a car. I'm sure Ford was smart enough to do their research, and know generally which demographic is buying what models.

BTW your car is siiiiiiiiiiiick! I haven't seen a GT500 that colour yet. So nice
Old 12/8/09, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Smile

Originally Posted by red pony

Good statement. I have to be honest though and admit that this morning on the way to work I was thinking about Ford offering a 2+2 fastback option with the fold-down rear seat like they had back in my day. Those options were neat and back then it gave the car a special appeal for a lot of people.

Ford needs to realize the extent of the success potential with retro-styling; proper retro-styling has proven to appeal equally through all generations. Going "euro" the way they did with the recent body design change I fear will show a setback. I'm in the 4th. largest city in the US and I still don't see that many on the roads around here, or at least like I did the 05-09 body design when the 05 first came out. Those cars sold like crazy here and you don't see many of them on the used car lots for very long at a time.

I agree the GT/CS is a real good option package and IMO it was probably the best package for the money for the 05-09 years. Ford produced that package in the right colors and IMO with better interiors than the 67-68 GT/CS packages offered. Smart move for that package to return. A GT/CS ragtop with the 5.0 would be a sweet car indeed (for those of you that can tolerate the new design).

MACH-I(s) should return and a lot of the folks I talk to (including myself) just cannot understand why Ford let the fantastic 05-09 body style get away without producing a MACH I package. Absolutely unbelievable. Now with the new design and 281 engine most folks I talk to just dont have the motivation for it. IMO the 05-09 body style will go down as a "timeless" body style just like the 65-70 body styles did and it is sad it was so short-changed option-wise the way it was. When Ford made a deal to offer the 5.4 exclusively with attachment to the Shelby name they made a deal with the DEVIL himself and I'll NEVER forgive them for it (but I have to admit I LOVE the late-model Shelby cars ... ).

If they could return the BOSS and the Mach I packages, and do so along the lines of how they used to be equipped (bigger engines, etc.) and they weren't priced beyond reason I'm sure we'd see a lot of them on the great American road.
Old 12/10/09, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

One more tid bit on the 07-09 GT/CS's. Look back and realize that the nose piece on these is the same one originally designed for the 2006 Shelby-GTH Hertz rentals, if I remember it correctly. CalStang
Attached Images  
Old 12/10/09, 09:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where are the pictures? I want to see the new GT/CS?
Old 12/11/09, 07:40 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 94gt
Where are the pictures? I want to see the new GT/CS?
Well, as it'll be based on the '11 GT, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for that to be launched first (Detroit Show in Jan).
Old 12/12/09, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by sharpie
Sharpie I effing love your car. Man if they only sold the GT500 with a saddle interior.

Your car would look AWEsome with the clear/smoked sidemarker lights I posted in the regular 2010 section btw!!
Old 12/12/09, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Sharpie I effing love your car. Man if they only sold the GT500 with a saddle interior.

Your car would look AWEsome with the clear/smoked sidemarker lights I posted in the regular 2010 section btw!!
No kidding, that is HOT w/ the stripe delete
Old 12/12/09, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

x2

Yeah, I didn't mean to generalize quite so much, or suggest that anyone who is young and has an expensive car is a drug dealer. Of course it's possible for almost anyone to buy a GT500 if they are really committed to it, but generally speaking, most people make more money as they get older, so the older you are, the more likely that you are going to be able to reasonably afford such a car. I'm sure Ford was smart enough to do their research, and know generally which demographic is buying what models.

BTW your car is siiiiiiiiiiiick! I haven't seen a GT500 that colour yet. So nice

Quick Reply: 2011 California Special & SVT Performance Package