Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

"Whirrrr" sound from drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/06 | 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

"Whirrrr" sound from drivetrain?

I can hear a "whirrr" sound coming from the gearshift area (auto tranny), It's higher pitched and more obvious in Park, lower pitched in drive. I just had the gear whine TSB done (which didn't work) and have noticed this sound since then. I can hear it when I put my head under the car, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. I'm sure the sound in the gearshift is just being transferred up the drivetrain from somewhere else.

And that leads me to my main question - besides the engine, what other parts in the car are moving/rotating while in park? Are there are parts in the rear differential that are moving in Park?

The car goes in for try #3 of the gear whine TSB in a few days. I'd like to have some knowledge of this before try to explain this new problem to them, which I suspect is a result of the failed TSB effort.
Old 10/2/06 | 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Engine and parts of trans: rotating when in "Park".

Driveshaft, differential, tailshaft: Not rotating.

I read somewhere on here that someone's flywheel was loose from the factory? Maybe your flexplate/torque converter isn't as tight as it should be? (pure speculation here)
Old 10/21/06 | 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I've determined that the whirr sound is coming from the engine. Opened the hood, can hear it plain as day. Hear it from the center/top of the engine. It's not real loud, but it's noticable. Again, I can actually hear it inthe car while in park. Don't really hear it while driving. Can hear it faintly when idling in gear, but at a lower pitch.

Anyone else have this?