Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver's door handle won't fully retract

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 05:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's door handle won't fully retract

I did a search but it returned a LOT of threads / posts...

Is there a TSB out for the problem of the driver's door handle not retracting fully??

I saw Stangnut's reference to the thread by the "do it himselfer", however I am not inclined to tackle that job myself---I'll end up disconnecting the power door locks or speakers or something.

With or without a TSB, should this fix by the dealer be covered under warranty??
Old 8/2/06, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup TSB'd I there is a springy inside that snaps so take it in tell them and it's under warrenty anyway so they have to order you a new door handle assembly , not just a spring. So you don't really need the TSB sheet for it.
Old 8/3/06, 12:15 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to try the do it yourself fix, but that wasn't what was wrong with mine. Unfortunately, had to pull the door panel off to find that out. It's not hard so if you want to try it, go ahead.
I even left all the screws out when I took it to the dealer since he had to pull it off anyway. They've ordered the parts for it, but I haven't taken it back in yet.

As far as I know there's not a TSB for the door handle.
Old 8/4/06, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Yup TSB'd I there is a springy inside that snaps so take it in tell them and it's under warrenty anyway so they have to order you a new door handle assembly , not just a spring. So you don't really need the TSB sheet for it.
That's what it feels like, as though a spring has sprung or a clip slipped.

My dealer's service department told me a good time to bring it in would be middle of next week, or one week after I called to inquire about it. Well, that's not good for me but I might try to bring it in Monday on my day off.

I asked the Service Advisor if they had seen a lot of this problem---he said he's seen one before I called.

Thanks for the comments / insight, as always.
Old 8/4/06, 10:12 PM

Went back and checked all the TSB's (luckily I have access to Ford's Fleet website) and there's still not a TSB for the handle.
Old 8/5/06, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

took mine to dealer and they ordered a new door handle and had it painted and installed for me
Old 8/5/06, 07:40 PM

They're supposed to come painted from the factory.
I'll be going back next week to have them install mine.
Old 9/13/06, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Just went out to my car after being away for a week on business and low and behold my handle is not retracting fully. Looks like ill be paying a visit to Ford sooner than i thought.
Old 9/13/06, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Happened to me about 6 months ago. Had it fixed when they had it in for a service visit, under warranty of course.
Old 9/21/06, 09:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My passenger side is doing it Last time I took my car to Ford they wrecked it and had it 3 weeks PLEASE don't make me go back there
Old 9/21/06, 09:27 PM

Chuck, don't forget you can take it to a Lincoln-Mercury dealer also.
That's what I have to do since my local Ford dealer (Bondy's Ford, Dothan, AL) sucks so bad.
Old 9/21/06, 09:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
That's what I have to do since my local Ford dealer (Bondy's Ford, Dothan, AL) sucks so bad.
Serious??That is awesome cuz the Lincoln Mercury body shop here in Tampa is top notch. In fact ,i just picked up my spoiler today Pics will be on a Thread I'll start soon.Thanks for the heads up Jason!!
Old 10/1/06, 06:39 AM

I got busy and never posted a follow up, but the dealer fixed mine in less than an hour, and now 2 mnoths later it is still wroking fine. Never had a problem on the passenger side.

I still am enjoying the heck out of this car. Put 1,500 miles on her during Labor Day week, attending the MCA 30th in Birmingham, then visiting friends in Memphis & Little Rock. GREAT road car,although I was alone and it may have been a bit crowded with 2 or more. Up to about 10,900 miles currently.
Old 10/1/06, 11:54 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by maucoin65
I got busy and never posted a follow up, but the dealer fixed mine in less than an hour, and now 2 mnoths later it is still wroking fine. Never had a problem on the passenger side.

I still am enjoying the heck out of this car. Put 1,500 miles on her during Labor Day week, attending the MCA 30th in Birmingham, then visiting friends in Memphis & Little Rock. GREAT road car,although I was alone and it may have been a bit crowded with 2 or more. Up to about 10,900 miles currently.
so they repaired it and didn't replace it??
Old 10/1/06, 02:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I repaired it my self the rod slipped in the clip took around a half hour.
Old 10/20/06, 07:56 PM
GTR Member

Jason, took my car to the local Lincoln Mercury service dept and they ordered and installed the pre painted door handle for me..Thanks for telling me about this..Their service dept and body shop are top notch and I'm tickled pink knowing I have a reputable place to bring the stang
Old 10/20/06, 09:25 PM

Great to hear Chuck. Glad I could help.
Maybe if Ford sees more people taking their Ford cars/trucks to L-M dealers for service, they'll finally get a clue.
Old 10/20/06, 11:16 PM
Cobra R Member

They're supposed to come painted from the factory.
I'll be going back next week to have them install mine.
Jason (and Mike)..... I had mine replaced a few weeks ago, and the service writer (friend of mine) said that they in fact do come painted from the factory. Verify this with yours, because someone had mentioned in an earlier thread that their handle came Non-Painted, and I do not believe that to be correct.....
Old 10/21/06, 10:55 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Giddyup
Jason (and Mike)..... I had mine replaced a few weeks ago, and the service writer (friend of mine) said that they in fact do come painted from the factory. Verify this with yours, because someone had mentioned in an earlier thread that their handle came Non-Painted, and I do not believe that to be correct.....
The dealer probably thought that and when they saw them come painted,they probably took credit for painting them..Just hope they didn't charge to do so..I don't trust these guys any more