Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Warning,Check your car.......

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/06, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOTLAP
EXACTLY the fix!! I'm **** as well and got tired of wiping the top seam of the Master cylinder off every two weeks and lowered the level just a bit and no more leak . Apparantly, the fluid moves around in there and works it's way past the vented cap...I had this exact same issue with both my '05 GT and my '05 F-150 (and my '02 Lincoln LS - seems to be the norm with these newer plastic MC's)....just lowered the fluid a bit and all is OK.....curious those who have the leak all the way to the paint underneath are you overfilling the Master cylinder or not paying attention....it's pretty easy to see the seepage down the MC seam line....
When you say you removed a bit, how much is a bit (1/2", 1", etc)?
I just want to be careful...

Thanks

John
Old 8/11/06, 10:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well ive never filled mine It was that way from the factory and again after they fixed it. I just grabbed a syringe from work and took out till its down to the screen. That took it down about 1/3 to 1/2 inch. Just did it so time will tell if it works.
Old 8/12/06, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

I just checked my 07, has about 250 miles and had the seepage around the seam as everyone is describing (luckily not enough to have dripped onto the paint yet). Pulled the cap off and the friggin' fluid level is nearly to the top of the neck! I'll syringe some fluid out of it tomorrow. Thanks for the head's up guys!
Old 8/13/06, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyNJ
When you say you removed a bit, how much is a bit (1/2", 1", etc)?
I just want to be careful...

Thanks

John
John - I lowered it to between 1/4" - 1/2" below the "MAX FILL" line. Still plenty of fluid left but really cut down on the seepage. I still check it every time I was the car and wipe it down - but much less seepage now.
Old 8/13/06, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Me again. Yeah mine also has the slight leak. But it is so slight that all you have to do is clean off the resevoir every time you wash your car. If you are like me, you clean the engine compartment every time you wash your car (for me about once a week). I clean under my hood when I wash my car as follows. I use a very dilute solution of Simple Green liquid in a spray bottle. I spray it on a towel that I only use for under the hood and then just simply wipe the wet towel on any part I want to clean. Be carefull not to get the Simple Green spray on the paint because it is a strong soap. It seems that this method is easy if you do it regularly and keeps everything clean including the brake fluid resevoir! Just my two cents. But if Ford comes out with a permenant fix, then I'll look into it.
Old 8/13/06, 07:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
I am trying something new.
I have a rubber gasket that I found on a fairly new oil filler cap. It is the exact same OD as the ID of the cap.
I removed the cap and took out the rubber and placed my rubber gasket in between the cap and the rubber. I had to trim the inside of my gasket because there are 3 nubs in the cap I wanted to clear.
I carefully put a little extra down pressure re-installing the cap so I wouldn't damage the plastic engagements ( i.e., threads).
I report back after a few more miles and tell you if it really works.
2+ months and still no leak.
Old 8/14/06, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Quick Update,

I've driven about 250 miles since I removed about 1/2 inch of brake fluid from reservior. Very Glad to report no more drips or seepage. I put the fluid level right in between the Max and Min marks.

Old 8/14/06, 11:01 AM
Banned

One thing that came to mind,

People that have leaks are they all manual's? Does anyone with an automatic tranny have a leak?

I noticed that the more I shifted (before I fixed my leak), the more seepage occurred.
Old 8/14/06, 01:35 PM

Leak

Originally Posted by Fastrack
One thing that came to mind,

People that have leaks are they all manual's? Does anyone with an automatic tranny have a leak?

I noticed that the more I shifted (before I fixed my leak), the more seepage occurred.
I have an automatic on my '07 GT and I have about 100 miles in one weeks driving. I just checked my cap and found a little leakage but not enough to drip down. I took the cap off and fluid was filled to the top mark. I am going to play it safe and remove some. I noticed a little tube sticking out the side at the bottom of the tank. It has a thumb screw on the end. Is this for draining the tank? It almost looks as if it would not unscrew without breaking off permanently. I'm no mechanic though. Anyone know?
Old 8/14/06, 01:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wingman75
I have an automatic on my '07 GT and I have about 100 miles in one weeks driving. I just checked my cap and found a little leakage but not enough to drip down. I took the cap off and fluid was filled to the top mark. I am going to play it safe and remove some. I noticed a little tube sticking out the side at the bottom of the tank. It has a thumb screw on the end. Is this for draining the tank? It almost looks as if it would not unscrew without breaking off permanently. I'm no mechanic though. Anyone know?
Looking at the brake fluid container from the front, on the back/right about midway on the tank there's a tube. And on manual that's for the clutch. Maybe this is what your seeing?
Old 8/14/06, 02:36 PM

Tube

Originally Posted by Fastrack
Looking at the brake fluid container from the front, on the back/right about midway on the tank there's a tube. And on manual that's for the clutch. Maybe this is what your seeing?
I guess your right I have an automatic. That thumbscrew looks like it breaks off when its unscrewed. Thanks for the info fastrack.
Old 8/14/06, 04:23 PM
GT Member

They all leak at the cap what you see at the seam is what has collected from running down from the cap . The plant seems to add to much to the resevoir and is slightly over full . This has been an issue I noticed for many years on mustangs even back to the bullits. I would just remove a 1/4 inch from the level with a clean and dry turkey baster and you should be fine as others have done this with no more sweating.
Old 8/15/06, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I checked last night and my '07 has the leak from the cap too. Luckily nothing ran down past the seam. The fluid is now at the max line, not at the neck of the tank. Don't know if that will be ok now or if I need to remove some. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 8/16/06, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Just checked my car a bit ago. Got a little seepage on the container, but nothing on the paint. I'm right at the max fill line. I'll take a sterile pipette from work and take a little bit off to just below max (1/2" or so).
Old 8/17/06, 02:13 PM
V6 Member

Just bought my '07 GT 5-spd last week and it has the same leak problem. Are there any Ford Corporation members on here to take some feedback?
Old 8/17/06, 02:47 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally got around to checking mine, and it has leaked a bit, but doesn't look like it damaged the paint at all. I think I'm going to remove some fluid and do either the nylon tape or washer fix. Sucks they are still shipping these out with this problem.
Old 8/19/06, 04:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Yeah got the same problem on mine. Took it to the dealer, which they were stunned about, and they promptly replaced the cap. They're also currently in the process of tearing apart half the engine compartment so they can strip the affected area to bare metal and respray with the correct primer, base, and clearcoat. All under warranty, but I've had to deal with the lawnmower...err..Focus they loaned me for almost a week now.
Old 8/19/06, 06:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Yeah got the same problem on mine. Took it to the dealer, which they were stunned about, and they promptly replaced the cap. They're also currently in the process of tearing apart half the engine compartment so they can strip the affected area to bare metal and respray with the correct primer, base, and clearcoat. All under warranty, but I've had to deal with the lawnmower...err..Focus they loaned me for almost a week now.
Stunned...?
Tell them they need to do more than replace the cap.
This problem has been reported on more than just Mustangs. I guess most people don't look or complain about anything under the hood.
Old 8/21/06, 05:02 AM
Bullitt Member

I was running the rubber washer fix until yesterday. I was cleaning my engine bay after Shadowfax's return from the body shop and noticed the cap on the reservoir looked cocked. The cap is so flexible, it won't seat evenly with the added washer. That's probably the root of the problem (cheap cap). I elected to removed the washer and took out some fluid as others have recommended.
Old 8/22/06, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Yeah they've never seen that kind of damage before, and actually after taking a week to repaint the frame rail, managed to botch the job! They thew on the final coat today and it wrinkled because they let contamination get in their mobile spray booth they set up! MORONS! I'M SURROUNDED BY MORONS!! NOW I'VE GOT TO WAIT ANOTHER 4 DAYS FOR THEM TO FIX THEIR MISTAKE! I just want my stang back already! I'm definitely going to pass it on that replacing the cap isn't the fix.

AFChief, in light of your theory, you know of any aftermarket billet aluminum caps they might make?

Quick Reply: Warning,Check your car.......