Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Warning,Check your car.......

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/06, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
No leaks ever since I really tightened the cap by hand a couple of weeks ago and cleaned off the top of the resovoir. I just checked it and the top of the resevoir is totally dry.
Can you even crank down the cap? I thought it stopped at a certain point.
Old 6/12/06, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Well all I did was hold the resovoir with one hand and tighten the cap securely with my other hand. The cap apparently now is very tight and leak free. Still no fluid on the resovoir as of today. Maybe my cap wasn't as bad as some others though.
Old 6/12/06, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Phew, I'm not crazy then, I forgot to ask at the dealership when I was in today. I thought I saw some fluid around the lip on the resevoir. I only have 700Km on my car, hopefully no paint damage!
Old 6/12/06, 08:31 PM
Banned

Today, I decided to fix my leak as replacing the cap at the Ford dealer isn't helping.

I cut a round piece of rubber the same diameter as the existing piece of rubber from a bicycle inter-tube. The piece of rubber was put in the cap and then the stock rubber over it. The cap is really tight now.

I cut a X shape in the middle so the stock cap can still "breath"

I haven't driven it yet, as I just did this, but the only way the fluid will leak out now; is out of breather slit in the original rubber
Old 6/18/06, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I noticed mine leaking a little after I first got the car. I tightened the cap and haven't had a problem since.
Old 7/28/06, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Can the cap be removed after using teflon tape?
Old 7/28/06, 09:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark S.
Can the cap be removed after using teflon tape?
Don't use teflon tape. Brake fluid eats the tape. Put a rubber washer between the cap and the rubber accordian. Read more posts.
There is a lot of info on a lot of things here, read everything. (at least everything that might have to do with your car)
Old 7/28/06, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

karman, roger that...I'll run over to ACE Hardware and pick up that gasket...thanks!
Old 7/29/06, 01:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to say I put a gasket in between the cap and accordian and experienced some brake weirdness.... brake chatter.

So I removed the gasket and some fluid... seems to have worked for now.
Old 8/1/06, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I just checked my brake fluid resovoir and yes there now is some fluid along the seam on the side of the resevoir. Only a few drops worth though so my cap only has a slight leak. I did not see any fluid on the paint below or on the firewall. I was going to do the washer thing as stated in this thread but then I read about the brake chatter problem although I don't see how the washer could cause the brakes to chatter. But I'm no mechanic. Maybe the best for me is just to clean off the resevoir when I wash my car. But like someone else stated, if fluid is getting out, that means air and moisture are getting in. Ford needs to come out with a better replacement cap. Seems like a simple thing for them to do but how do we get them to do that?
Old 8/1/06, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Scarpi
I just checked my brake fluid resovoir and yes there now is some fluid along the seam on the side of the resevoir. Only a few drops worth though so my cap only has a slight leak. I did not see any fluid on the paint below or on the firewall. I was going to do the washer thing as stated in this thread but then I read about the brake chatter problem although I don't see how the washer could cause the brakes to chatter. But I'm no mechanic. Maybe the best for me is just to clean off the resevoir when I wash my car. But like someone else stated, if fluid is getting out, that means air and moisture are getting in. Ford needs to come out with a better replacement cap. Seems like a simple thing for them to do but how do we get them to do that?
It's been over 2 months since I did my gasket. NO LEAKS. NO BRAKE CHATTER.
Is there anyone else who has gotten brake chatter?
Old 8/2/06, 07:03 AM
V6 Member

Mine was nice and dry...06'
Old 8/2/06, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Brake Fluid & Paint ? not good ! every new vehicle what ever brand we use at work seems to do the same thing, so I always keep a rag to whipe it once a week or more.
Old 8/4/06, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's what I did...I noticed the problem with only 15 miles on the car (purchased a little over a week ago)...I took some "tubed" cotton (about a half inch in diameter - 8 inches in length) which they put on my wife's feet after getting a pedicure (alright I know you couldn't care less about that)...anyway the spa she goes to has them. So I cut about an inch section of this tubed cotton and stuffed it under the cap (using a flat blade screw driver) where I saw the very small leak (it was leaking at the 12 o'clock position on the reservoir -- the front of the car also being 12 o'clock.

After a week and nearly 300 miles later this cotton has absorbed (I'm assuming it is) the fluid...I've checked the cap at least three times in the past few days and I can't even see a drop of fluid anywhere (at least the cotton still looks nice and white). I know this is not a permanent fix and that my leak was very small, but as long as it keeps the fluid off of the rest of the engine compartment that will be fine with me. I will change the cotton when it appears that it has absorbed its limit of brake fluid.

BTW, the spa that carries these will not tell me where they get this "tubed/rolled" cotton...so I will just have to tell my wife to get some more when she goes over there for their services. This tubed cotton has an outside layer which looks a little bit like a fabric (white) so that it will hold up pretty well.
Old 8/8/06, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

With my '07 only having 36 miles on the odo, I have seepage from under the cap. Luckily I read this post before buying my Mustang. The fluid was filled right up to the top of the reservoir. I thoroughly washed off the leaked brake fluid then used a syringe to remove enough fluid so that it is between the Max and Min marks. Hopefully this will give enough room for the fluid to expand and not leak out from under the cap. I'm gonna mark it so the service guys know where to fill it up to.
Old 8/8/06, 11:46 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had forgotten all about this, I'm gonna have to go check my car. I've got almost 700 miles on it now. I had the seepage on the '05, but never saw any paint damage below it. I hope it doesn't happen on this car.
Old 8/9/06, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mines leaking again. Talked to the service manager. He said I could try taking alittle fluid out and if that didnt work theyd try to find a more permanent fix. I just dont wanna mess the paint up again.
Old 8/9/06, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
Mines leaking again. Talked to the service manager. He said I could try taking alittle fluid out and if that didnt work theyd try to find a more permanent fix. I just dont wanna mess the paint up again.
You said that the new reservoir had a lower mark for full. I guess that didn't do it.
Like I said, since I fixed it... NO LEAK. If Ford ever comes up with a real fix I will take it to the dealer. Until then, mine is still working.
Old 8/10/06, 06:03 PM

Well Good thing I checked...Mine is leaking too!!!! and the car is 4 days old (200 miles)

'07 Mustang GT/CS

John...
Old 8/10/06, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
I've had some fluid on the upper seam of the reservoir. My **** detailing has kept the slight amount from going any farer. The cap does not seem to seal tight and the reservoir may just be a bit too full. Although it is at the full line, it is fuller than any other brake fluid reservoir I have serviced. Therefore I see no problem removing a small amount to lower the level some and see if that would stop the leak.
EXACTLY the fix!! I'm **** as well and got tired of wiping the top seam of the Master cylinder off every two weeks and lowered the level just a bit and no more leak . Apparantly, the fluid moves around in there and works it's way past the vented cap...I had this exact same issue with both my '05 GT and my '05 F-150 (and my '02 Lincoln LS - seems to be the norm with these newer plastic MC's)....just lowered the fluid a bit and all is OK.....curious those who have the leak all the way to the paint underneath are you overfilling the Master cylinder or not paying attention....it's pretty easy to see the seepage down the MC seam line....

Quick Reply: Warning,Check your car.......