Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vert rattle

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/08, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vert rattle

Check out this tsb, many of us have that annoying rattle type sound when going over bumps & it sounds like its coming from the latch area. The test in the TSB sounds just like the noise. The repair is replacing the tension cables with a newer style that are teflon coated. Is anyone familar with the top assembly know how to replace the cables, I hate letting the dealer have my car twice to do an easy job I could do myself. The parts listed in the repair TSB do not come up when plugged into ford parts web sites. Can they be obtainedby the public or are they just for TSB repairs. Can the existing cable be lubed with talcum power through a tube of some sort to stop the binding. Thanks in advance.

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10281/tsb07-20-03-vert_calble_noise_blt_b4_12-1-06.pdf
Old 2/13/08, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for this. Mine has done the creaky sound since day one. I will take mine to the dealer and find out what actually has to be done. I don't trust the "top shops" around here. They are both located in seedy sections of town. Hopefully the dealer can do this fix in-house.
Old 2/13/08, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Haven't had that problem on mine, but I check and my date is 12/11/06 (after the 12/1/06 date on the TSB). So far so good....
Old 2/13/08, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, that may take care of one noise, but it doesn't take care of the squeak when the top is down.

Plus, since I've already had my top replaced once, I don't think I'm going to let it be touched again.
Old 2/13/08, 06:05 PM

I do not have good experiences with the dealer waranty work & only take the car there for dyer repairs. When the car was brand new (probably before I bought it), the cylinder that raises the top leaked & made a mess in th car, I discovered it when my son sitting in the front passenger seat put the belt on & he had oil all over his shirt (the cylinder is right over the seat belt retainer behind the quarter trim. The bone heads replaced the cylinder and the rear seatbelt which is in the trunk, I was so mad, they had to keep the car another day & replace the front belt.

That being said I set out this morning to figure out how to stop that cable from binding & came up with a quick solution that worked perfect. Cornstarch is a good lubricant and is used in many body powders to stop chafing. I raised the top to its straight up position & located the spot where the cable went into the pocket about 6" from the front of the cover. I then took about 4 or 5 feet of fish tank tubing & stuck it in about 1" right next to the cable shooting straight down. Then I shoved the other end into the box of cornstarch to get some in the end then I used my blow gun hooked to my compressor to blow the cornstarch through the tube & into the pocket with the cable. The entire pocket inflated slightly as I watched the cornstarch traver throught the tube. I did this about 4 times and probably put 1/2 a tablespoon in all in the pocket. I lowered the top & did the test in the TSB which is tugging on the edge of the top & within a few tugs it was smooth. I did the other side & weht for a ride & hit every bump I used to avoid cause I hated that noise. It worked perfect.
Old 2/14/08, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I do notice that after a wash, the creaky noise is gone... until it dries out. Sounds like your cornstarch "fix" may be only temporary. I have not had a chance yet to swing by my dealer (whom I do trust with my car). Too many things on my plate right now.
Old 2/14/08, 11:20 AM

If my fix doesn't last I will probably just get the cables & do it myself, it looks pretty easy, I haen't found where they attach in the back but it must be behind the quarter trim next to the back seat.
Old 3/13/08, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, my vert is scheduled to get this fix done next Thursday. Unfortunately, not at the dealer where I bought the car (2 miles from my house). They refused to touch it and wanted to send it to the seedy area of town for the fix. No way! So I drove the 30 miles to the other Ford dealer in my area. At first they said it would take most of the day, even though the TSB states 1.5 hours. The tech explained he has to take out the entire rear interior. I then asked how long if I took all the interior pieces out myself... a few minutes he said. (I bet it is more like an hour). Anyway, while I have the interior torn apart I guess it is time to do the dynamatting I have been putting off for so long.

Last edited by 2k5GTC; 3/20/08 at 05:03 PM.
Old 3/13/08, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmk3
If my fix doesn't last I will probably just get the cables & do it myself, it looks pretty easy, I haen't found where they attach in the back but it must be behind the quarter trim next to the back seat.
It is waaaaaaay back at the top of the rear seat area, behind all the trim pieces. The cable is attached to a block held in with two huge torx bolts and a rivet. I am not sure where it is connected at the front of the top.
Old 3/20/08, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got the TSB done today. I figured about an hour, but 3 hours later I was driving away. The difference is AMAZING. No more creak or groan. Now the only problem is when I accelerate, there is a buzzing coming from the right rear that sounds like a hornets nest. Grrrr! I have to take it back tomorrow afternoon for them to replace the left and right top end weatherstrips they messed up, so I guess I will sit around again for them to find the buzzing sound it did not have before they worked on it.
Old 5/8/08, 06:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

I called my dealer and he said he sub vert top issue? So I bought the cabels and did it my self took about 3 hour had to take off the light bar. All noise is gone.