Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

V6 Won't Idle

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/08, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Won't Idle

Twice in the past week my V6 Pony started stalling out while either stopping for a light or cruising at low speed during short trips.

It will start but will not run at all below 2000 RPM (stalls). When reved past 3500 RPM it surges.

After a couple of minutes, everything is OK.

The 1st time I limped it to my destination (a convenience store) by restarting it in neutral, holding the revs above 2000 and then dropping it into drive when the light turns red. By the time I got to the store, it was fine. No lights came on and when I got home I plugged in my Xcalibrator 2 and got no codes.

Nothing happened for a week. I wrote it off to bad gas.

Yesterday, it stalled while I was cruising at 40 mph. Same exact symptoms. I limped it to the nearest dealer (luckily open on Saturday) and by the time I got it there (about 3 miles) it was fine again.

HOWEVER this 2nd time, I got the "wrench" light to come on when the problems started. Then no lights at the dealership.

They were too backed up to check it out Saturday so it's still at the dealer. I just had my 15K servicing 400 miles ago and they should have changed out the fuel filter.

Anybody else experienced a similar problem? I checked the archives and the TSB's. While my guess is maybe fuel pump, this is not like the V8 long cruise problem I read about.
Old 6/30/08, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never mind.

Throttle Position Sensor failure.