Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

upper brake light out...is it hard to change the bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/09, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
upper brake light out...is it hard to change the bulb?

Hello Everyone-
I have a 2005 Mustang GT that has just under 48,000 on the odometer.
A few days ago I noticed that my upper brake light is not working, so I was wondering if someone here can tell me how to change the bulb, and is it had to do.

I was thinking about taking it into the dealer to have the bulb changed, but that would cost alot of money to have them change the bulb.

If it's not to hard to do it myself I might go ahead and change the bulb.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 9/21/09, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike McRann
Hello Everyone-
I have a 2005 Mustang GT that has just under 48,000 on the odometer.
A few days ago I noticed that my upper brake light is not working, so I was wondering if someone here can tell me how to change the bulb, and is it had to do.

I was thinking about taking it into the dealer to have the bulb changed, but that would cost alot of money to have them change the bulb.

If it's not to hard to do it myself I might go ahead and change the bulb.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Assuming you mean the brake light in the trunk lid? It's actually really easy to change. The black plastic housing surrounding the brake light and the trunk lock simply pops out (from the back first) and you'll have access to change the bulb without removing the light housing. Let me know if you have more questions - done this a few times now
Old 9/21/09, 10:54 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I forget exactly - but I do remember this much. Be CAREFUL taking off the plastic latch cover in the decklid. Too much force and you will snap the clip that holds it in place.
Old 9/21/09, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by STL-GT
Assuming you mean the brake light in the trunk lid? It's actually really easy to change. The black plastic housing surrounding the brake light and the trunk lock simply pops out (from the back first) and you'll have access to change the bulb without removing the light housing. Let me know if you have more questions - done this a few times now
Thanks for the information. One more question, how to do get the housing off the trunklid? Will I find some screws or bolts I need to remove, or does the housing snap into place so I'll have to pry it off the trunklid?

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I forget exactly - but I do remember this much. Be CAREFUL taking off the plastic latch cover in the decklid. Too much force and you will snap the clip that holds it in place.
Thanks for the information, I remember to take my time if I decide to change the bulb myself.
Old 9/21/09, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mike McRann
Thanks for the information. One more question, how to do get the housing off the trunklid? Will I find some screws or bolts I need to remove, or does the housing snap into place so I'll have to pry it off the trunklid?
No screws to take out - it's held in place by plastic tabs. I believe there are two tabs at the rear and a tab that slides into the deck lid at the front (not near my cars now to confirm). To remove the housing, pull directly down on the rear of the housing (the area closest to the rear of the car). The two plastic snaps will pop out and you can remove the housing (after fishing the emergency trunk release though the housing). Then change the bulb, push the trunk release back through the housing, insert the tab at the front of the housing first, then snap in the back of the housing back into place. Shouldn't take any more than 10 mins. Let me know if you run into trouble - I'd hate to see you pay for a dealer to do the work!
Old 9/21/09, 12:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

No screws to take out - it's held in place by plastic tabs. I believe there are two tabs at the rear and a tab that slides into the deck lid at the front (not near my cars now to confirm). To remove the housing, pull directly down on the rear of the housing (the area closest to the rear of the car). The two plastic snaps will pop out and you can remove the housing (after fishing the emergency trunk release though the housing). Then change the bulb, push the trunk release back through the housing, insert the tab at the front of the housing first, then snap in the back of the housing back into place. Shouldn't take any more than 10 mins. Let me know if you run into trouble - I'd hate to see you pay for a dealer to do the work!
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
I'll pickup a new bulb and try and replace it later today.
Thanks again, I'll let you know what happens
Old 9/21/09, 12:54 PM
I lust for a M24

This forum is so friendly. Nobody even said "RTFM" (I'm pretty sure it's in there)
Old 9/21/09, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

This forum is so friendly. Nobody even said "RTFM" (I'm pretty sure it's in there)
And the "F" stands for "FUN" because such a fun manual to read!
Old 9/21/09, 01:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Replacing high-mount brake lamp bulbs
1. Make sure the headlamp switch is in the OFF position and then open
the trunk.
2. Inside trunk, pull the trim panel
straight off of the underside of the
trunk lid.
3. Locate the lighting assembly and
push the release tab to access the
bulb socket.
4. Carefully pull the bulb straight
out of socket.
Install the new bulb in reverse order.

Page 41 - http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...nersManual.pdf
Old 9/21/09, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Sweet! Had no idea that was posted here. More good info.

And glad to see I was right on my above advice
Old 9/21/09, 01:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the information. To be honest with you I was going to read the manual for instructions on replacing the bulb as I know it would be there, but the main reason for posting here was to ask about the difficulty in changing the bulb and any precautions I would need to take when changing the bulb.
Now that I have the needed information I'll go ahead and change the bulb myself instead ot taking the car to the dealer and paying them to do it (something I usually do).

Sweet! Had no idea that was posted here. More good info.

And glad to see I was right on my above advice
Thanks again guys! That's what I love about this site, if you need help you can always find some friendly people to answer your questions.