Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Transmission Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/15, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Rattle

This morning I started my car drove it around as normal and as I drove past cars I heard a rattling echo coming from my car. 5 speed manual. It doesn't happen during acceleration just during decelerating. I revved it a few times when I got home to try to track the sound to only find out the rattle was coming from around the transmission. I don't know it it's a loose bolt or washer, I tried to search for anything that was loose and nothing just happens when I rev it. It doesnt happen while the car is idling. I would appreciate some suggestions if you don't mind, thank you.

Last edited by Jackiequach; 5/24/15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 5/27/15, 06:14 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
tap on the separator plate- vertical/flat sheetmetal plate between oil pan and bellhousing... after swapping my clutch, mine started to rattle just off idle...I just stuffed a small piece of scotchbrite between the bellhousing and plate to keep it from rattling, just a small bit- maybe 1/4 x 1 long, pushed it in with tip of screwdriver, just to hold a little pressure against the tin. so far so good...

if I ever replace the clutch again, I'll try to remember to bow that thing before putting tranny back in, so it has a little pressure against the case- they really shoulda had another bolt, or some backing plate between the lower two bolts to stiffen it up a bit...
Old 5/27/15, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.