Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Strange rattle

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 10:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a rattle in the drivers side rear area somewhere behind the rear seat that started up whe I installed my MagnaFlows. It only rattles when the car is under a pretty good load. I've checked all the exhaust system...moved the mufflers and pipes by hand to try to replicate the sound but had no problem. I'll try the mount idea but I do find it interesting that there seems to be a lot of Magnaflow owners here with similar rattles...

I'll sound off if I find it...
Old 7/8/05, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is it possible the jack or spare tire is not bolted down tight?
Old 7/8/05, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by railray@July 7, 2005, 9:43 PM
I've got a rattle in the drivers side rear area somewhere behind the rear seat that started up whe I installed my MagnaFlows. It only rattles when the car is under a pretty good load. I've checked all the exhaust system...moved the mufflers and pipes by hand to try to replicate the sound but had no problem. I'll try the mount idea but I do find it interesting that there seems to be a lot of Magnaflow owners here with similar rattles...

I have a rattle on what appears to be the passenger side rear that started after I installed my Bassanis. It doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes the car doesnt even need to be under a heavy load, but I did the same thing you did in trying to replicate it by moving the mufflers etc by hand, and no luck. If you find anything out, let me know.. I will double check the hangers and make sure all the parts are tight. It's really starting to drive me nuts, but hopefully we can find a solution soon, since they do sound like similar issues.
Old 7/8/05, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Just incase you missed it, I bumped the topic once and tried to make sure everyone would see it. This was my experience with an interior rattle. See if it could help you guys.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=28627
Old 7/9/05, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by railray@July 7, 2005, 10:43 PM

I tried replicating the rattle by hand as well and failed. Finally put the back of the car up on ramps and crawled under to find it. and shook the exhaust like heck and heard it a couple times. I had my wife rev the car with me under it (a bit loud and I reallly trust my wife) and finally pinpointed it.

Good luck. I hate rattles.
Old 7/9/05, 09:47 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,342 Posts
Originally posted by mmoonshot@July 5, 2005, 8:32 AM
I have a strange rattle coming from somewhere in the rear around backseat in the drivers compartment, its driving me nuts, cant figure out what the heck is causing it, anyone else have this ?

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=21669&hl=

This was Some of my Rattle!

kc
Old 7/10/05, 12:27 AM
FR500 Member

I don't know how many people this might help but I had a bump sound coming from the passenger side (under the car) every time I went up or down a small incline - as in or out of a drive way, etc. There's a plastic cap that fits over the driver's side mount for the panhard bar and it was just loose enough so it sounded (hard plastic against metal) everytime I went over a bump. Disregard the arrows in the attached pic. I have circled what to look for. I removed mine (for safe keeping)
Old 7/11/05, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have my car in the service department right now. The rattle/vibration noise was coming from the passenger side, by the C pillar area. We could never figure out exactly where it was coming from on our own. It drove me nuts! The dealer called a little while ago, and said it was the seat belt assembly that was not tightened down. I hope that fixed it! I'll report back after I pick up the car.
Old 7/13/05, 07:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by azlitigator@July 11, 2005, 1:59 PM
I have my car in the service department right now. The rattle/vibration noise was coming from the passenger side, by the C pillar area. We could never figure out exactly where it was coming from on our own. It drove me nuts! The dealer called a little while ago, and said it was the seat belt assembly that was not tightened down. I hope that fixed it! I'll report back after I pick up the car.

Is it just me, or does a seat belt assembly not being tightened concern you????
Old 7/13/05, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

well if it were in the back, since no1 can fit back there thats ok but if its the front yea that concerns me
Old 7/13/05, 09:19 AM

Well, first time posting here, so hello to all. I know some, and look forward to getting to know the rest of you. I came over from another forum, but I have had similar problems with two 2005's.

I have the rear rattle on my Mustang right now. I also have a creaking noise on the passenger side when im going like 70mph and above.

As I said, this is my second 2005 Mustang. My first hit over 5,000 miles, only one rattle which was due to lack of rubber/foam filling in a panel, easy fix. The noises I have in this 2005 Mustang are much different, and are not able to be found, and they started before 2,000 miles.

I also have vibration from my center dash. I hear the leather on my shifter rubbing. My hearing is really good, and every little sound is upsetting me.

If any of you find out what these rear rattles are, please post, because my dealership is going to fix this @#$%!

BTW,
The rattle I had in my first 05' was the thin panel between the right rear window, and the large rear window. About where the defroster hooks to the window. It didn't have enough foam/rubber in there.

As for my new rattle, I found a loose spot in the bumper, and when I nock on it it sounds some what similar. Once I fix that, we'll keep listening.

Anyone notice the right side rattle go away when someone is riding in the passenger side. I ride alone mostly, but when I have someone in the car with me, I don't hear the rattle nearly as much. It may be possible, that our weight in the car causes some stupid inbalance.
Old 7/13/05, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AWmustang+July 13, 2005, 6:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AWmustang @ July 13, 2005, 6:44 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is it just me, or does a seat belt assembly not being tightened concern you????
[/b]

Yes, it does concern me. I asked them to check all of them after they told me what was causing the rattle.

<!--QuoteBegin-Lucky_Stang
@July 13, 2005, 8:22 AM
Well, first time posting here, so hello to all.

I hear the leather on my shifter rubbing. My hearing is really good, and every little sound is upsetting me.
[/quote]

First, welcome to the site! And second, I had the rubbing noise from the shift boot against the console thing also. I replaced the low quality Ford shift boot with a nice new leather one from Redline Goods. It looks better and the annoying rubbing sound is gone!

[attachmentid=27191]
Old 7/13/05, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by azlitigator@July 13, 2005, 8:44 AM
Yes, it does concern me. I asked them to check all of them after they told me what was causing the rattle.
First, welcome to the site! And second, I had the rubbing noise from the shift boot against the console thing also. I replaced the low quality Ford shift boot with a nice new leather one from Redline Goods. It looks better and the annoying rubbing sound is gone!

[attachmentid=27191]
Thanks for the advice, and the picture. I would like a nicer looking leather piece as well.
Old 7/16/05, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

The annoying rattle is gone! Thank gawd, it was about to drive me insane. I listened for it the whole way home from picking up the car (2 1/2 hour trip) and it never made that sound once. There is a small vibration sound coming from the door but I can live with that.......for now.

:banana2:
Old 5/4/06, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know this thread is old, but I have the door rattle and was wondering if anyone actually found the source of their rattle. Mine is in the passenger door. Rattles almost always, except on VERY smooth roads. Even rattles at certain rpms while idling. When I'm driving, if I reach over and pull on the passenger door handle (arm rest), it stops.
Old 5/7/06, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There are "white Christmas tree style" snap plugs sticking out under the rear parcel shelf between the speakers and seat-back. I had one left side, closest to the quarter panel that was loose. It made a ticking/rattle all winter long in the cold weather. I just grabbed the snap with some pliers and pulled it one "branch" tighter and the noise has gone away. These car have so many pieces held together with snaps only it's not surprising there's so many ticking noises. Hope this helps.

Edit; Sorry this was in reply to mmoonshot's question on the first page.
Old 5/7/06, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
I know this thread is old, but I have the door rattle and was wondering if anyone actually found the source of their rattle. Mine is in the passenger door. Rattles almost always, except on VERY smooth roads. Even rattles at certain rpms while idling. When I'm driving, if I reach over and pull on the passenger door handle (arm rest), it stops.
Have you read this post by LimeGT http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=44694 ? Thanks to him it was an easy fix for me on my drivers door. My passenger door had a different noise. It was a buzz occurring on bumpy roads. I found it was a loose ty-rap retaining the lower window regulator cable casing. A piece of stick foam took care of it.
Old 5/26/06, 10:07 AM

rattle from drivers side rear

i had this rattle for 2 months now. since i got the car, took it to 4 different dealers, got the run around, one cant hear it, the other needs to call ford hotline and see if there is any fix, well i finally took it to the final one, my last hope. TEHY FOUND AND FIXED IT.
here is what they did directly from the work order " “ verify problem, perform noise diagnostics with chasis ear, remove rear seats, remove all rear trim, remove all items from trunk, found body seam creaking, install body seam sealer and reinstall all parts. 6.8 hrs mtimeâ€

i hope this helps someone. it was really making my crazy!
Old 6/11/06, 02:58 PM

Trunk Rattle FIXED !!!

After almost a year of listening to this rattle in my wife's 05 Mustang, we finally figured it out it and fixed it. The rattle was caused by the plastic cover that is clipped on the center of the inside trunk lid. The plastic trunk lid release and trubk lights are in this thing.

Toward the bottom, away from the latch there is a plastic lip that is supposed to fit inside of the metal cutout of the trunk. It slips and causes the rattle.

The cover pulls off and you can remove it by unplugging the trunk light and pulling the plastic release handle through it. While it was off, we never heard the rattle.

I lined the metal cutout in the trunk lid with some thick insulating tape and reinstalled the plastic cover, we haven't had a rattle in days!