Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rattle from Driver and Pass. Intr. QTR. Panel

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/07, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle from Driver and Pass. Intr. QTR. Panel

Sorry not sure where this needs to go. Anyways, after driving myself nuts listening to this rattle coming from the trunk area. I fixed the rattle on the trunk lid from the black trim cover over the trunk latch. Also, it is worthy to note that most of the noise was coming from the the 3rd brake light bulb itself(where it clips in, zip tied it, no more noise). So there is still this noise coming from the interior qtr. panels. Too make a long story short I found that the rear seat belt brackets located on the upper sides of the rear package tray (speaker area) are vibrating. You can move the trunk side liners and there is an access hole on each side. If you tap on the metal under the rear windshield right under the trunk weather stripping you can hear this rattle. After I figured out where it was coming from I placed my hand "through the access hole" on the bracket and it went away. The noise is resonating through the trunk up into the qtr. panel. I haven't decide on a fix just yet, as it was real late when I found this. I hope this helps some of you with the horrible rattles. I saw where many people complained of this very sound. Sorry if this is old news. Please let me know if there is already a fix for this or what you guys find.

Also, there is a rattle coming from the passenger side seat lumbar area(front side). You can tap on it and it feels like a big square piece of plastic is loose in the lumbar area. Taking that in for warranty(don't feel like taking the seat apart). Anyone had this?

Thanks
Old 1/23/07, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm. There should be a Stickie thread for fixing rattles. Would be very helpful if it was sorted by location.

I'm looking at buying one of these cars but haven't ridden in one yet.
How bad are these rattles really? How many miles on your car?
Old 1/23/07, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

It has around 15,000 miles on it. To be honest I haven't experienced anymore rattles in this car than I have with others. I just hate them and have to find out what they are.
Old 1/23/07, 10:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only had one rattle, the infamous driver side A-pillar/dash rattle. Told the dealer about it and they used some felt tape...no more rattles. Granted, I can see a little bit of the tape they used sticking out, but it is barely noticable, and only if you look very closely and know what you are looking for. WELL worth it to be rid of the rattle!!
Old 1/25/07, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

I have a similar rattle in my car. I think I'll check this out myself and see if I can fix mine.

Gus
Old 2/1/07, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

You're good at finding rattles. They bug me too, and can be difficult, if not impossible to find, especially if you have a structural squeek. I've had 2 Hondas and a Trans Am that had this problem.

Could you get a piece of dynomat up in the hole and stick it on the bracket? This might dampen the noise, especially if placing your hand on the bracket stops it. It is worth a try
Old 2/1/07, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

The passenger seat has a wire grid with 2 rubber coated springs attaching it to the seat back under the foam pad. It is possible that one of these parts is contacting something it shouldn't.
Old 2/2/07, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the post though we should try to keep all these in the rattles database (that is a sticky) on the top of this forum. Maybe a mod could merge this into that?
Old 2/2/07, 09:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mod! did you say MOD!!! Yes, thats the answer. Mod that baby and Get LOUDER Exhaust.

sry, couldn't resist................
Old 2/2/07, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
Mod! did you say MOD!!! Yes, thats the answer. Mod that baby and Get LOUDER Exhaust.

sry, couldn't resist................
It's OK, it's a hard word ro resist when you own a Mustang
Old 2/2/07, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Saw the sticky a while after posting this.

Originally Posted by randy_tho
Hmm. There should be a Stickie thread for fixing rattles. Would be very helpful if it was sorted by location.

I'm looking at buying one of these cars but haven't ridden in one yet.
How bad are these rattles really? How many miles on your car?