Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Pinging on 87 octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/07, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had pinging in my 01 GT and now my 06 GT. With both cars I tried many brands of fuel and 87, 89, and 91 octane. Moving up in octane helped but at heavy throttle it never went away. I finally got tunes from Doug and no more problems. I can hammer it now and not have to worry. It's great.
Old 1/28/07, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

metroplex, I'll give the Techron a shot...see what happens, thanks.
Old 5/6/07, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

noticed pinging when I stepped on the gas but with 89 it went anway
Old 7/23/07, 10:58 AM
GT Member

My '06 GT, 4200 miles, just started pinging when it is warmed up for about 5-10 miles of granny or hard driving. It only pings when I hit the gas, while already in a gear, to go up a hill or when I hit the gas while letting the clutch out during a shift from 1-2 and 2-3. The pings are few and short lived but are still annoying.

I used BP from day 1 and switched to Sunoco after the pinging started as advised in this thread. Still pinging after the switch.

I've also noticed that A LOT of other cars and trucks around here are knocking and pinging this summer. Even Toyotas and Hondas which was a surprise to me. So I'm not sure I'm going to find any gas around here to stop it and I'm welcome to any other suggestions to stop this madness!!!
Old 7/23/07, 11:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To cover your bases, and with a lot of stations still mixing ethanol, use 89 with a stock tune. If the quality of the fuel is a little low even with 89 you will still be above minimum octane.
Old 7/23/07, 02:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also try a bottle of Techron fuel cleaner. You can find it at any auto parts store for about $6. I don't recommend any other fuel system cleaner because a lot of them can foul the spark plugs. Techron is safe though and recommended by Ford to people with fuel system problems.

If there is any buildup on the valves or pistons, that could cause some knocking. The techron will take care of that.
Old 7/23/07, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Top Tier Gas

I have been using the Top Tier gas for several years (Conoco and Shell) in all of my cars, without any pinging. I just returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO. Drove from South Dakota, 3300 feet to over 12,000 feet, without any problems. Cruised on the Interstate at 75 and secondary roads at posted speeds. Drove through the canyon from Loveland to Estes Park, mostly in 3rd and 4th, climbing up to the over 7,000 foot level. Love this car!!

Below is the link to information about this type of gas, and the brands that sell it. Hope this helpful

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 7/23/07, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
You could also try a bottle of Techron fuel cleaner. You can find it at any auto parts store for about $6. I don't recommend any other fuel system cleaner because a lot of them can foul the spark plugs. Techron is safe though and recommended by Ford to people with fuel system problems.

If there is any buildup on the valves or pistons, that could cause some knocking. The techron will take care of that.
I noticed that someone recommended that previously but would there be deposits on an engine with only 4200 miles on the clock? I know it won't hurt to try it but will it really be doing any good at this point? Just curious.
Old 7/23/07, 05:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
probably somewhere between slim and no chance. With a little ethanol in an average quality gas, you can get a smidge of detonation on hot days(and the computer adjusts in a split second-but you can hear it). I was getting it two and went to 89, problem forever solved(until I went with a 93 race tune of course). My 06 was exactly the same way. Or at least use the aforementioned toptier fuels.
Old 7/23/07, 05:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I have been using the Top Tier gas for several years (Conoco and Shell) in all of my cars, without any pinging. I just returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO. Drove from South Dakota, 3300 feet to over 12,000 feet, without any problems. Cruised on the Interstate at 75 and secondary roads at posted speeds. Drove through the canyon from Loveland to Estes Park, mostly in 3rd and 4th, climbing up to the over 7,000 foot level. Love this car!!

Below is the link to information about this type of gas, and the brands that sell it. Hope this helpful

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Very interesting. The only one around here that I know of is Shell. All of the Texacos and 76s are gone now and none of the others were ever around as far as I know.

Thanks for the tip. The Shell is a few miles away but could be worth the trip if that top tier stuff is to be trusted across the board.
Old 7/23/07, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My previous car was a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire, which I drove 60-70 miles a day, to work, in the Dallas-Ft Worth area for almost three years, before buying the Mustang, in Denton, TX, just before I retired.

I used Shell from day one, and never had a problem with pinging. The engine was the 3.2 Mercedes Benz V6, with the 5 speed auto-stick. My average fuel economy was 23 Mpg on a daily commute. The Shell was a few cents more then the other brands, but I felt it performed better, overall.
Old 7/24/07, 12:26 PM
GT Member

wow...lots of info being given about knocking and octane usage. the one item that is definitely recommended is the use of top tier fuel. unless you drive ***** out every day and take the engine to max on a daily basis, there will be deposits forming in the combustion chamber over just a few thousand miles of use...especially with the higher octane fuels. never use a higher octane fuel that what is called for by the manfr.

all fuel is essentially 87 octane....additives are added to the base fuel to meet octane, anti-knock, and cleansor requirments. the top tier fuels have demonstrated the ability to keep the c/chambers clear of deposits that's why they're recommnded by various manufacturers. the extra additives that are in 91/93 can actually lead to greater deposits being formed in the c/c. under normal driving the chemicals added for the octane and anti-kncok booster go unburned and lead to the deposits being formed.

the best thing, aside from using the top tier fuels ,is if you do have knocking beyond the occasional case of it then do a series of throttle braking, put the transmission in 2nd either auto or standard, and run the car up to redline, take your foot off the accelerator andback it down to 2500-3000 rpms. do that sequence for 6/7 times and the "fluttering of the rings on the decelleration will break free any deposits that have formed.

this procedure came from a caddy engineer that was part of the team that designed the northstar way back when...the caddy engines were driven mostly by the white haired set and there were lots of complaints of high oil usage, poor mileage, and poor drivabiliy....most of the problems could be traced to the deposits in the c/chambers.

one last point: modern engines can easily run at 10.5 or higher compression ratio on regular fuel (87)...it's simply the design that the engineers used when the fuel management system was designed for that particular motor. in fact, the new direct injected 3.6 v6 in the 08 caddy sts and the cts runs on 87 and has over 11.0 compression ratio...atleast 11....i can't recall the exact number off hand...and she makes over 300 hp.

jackg
06 sts6

in my heart i wanted the g mustang but the old lady talked me out of it...
Old 7/25/07, 12:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by justgreat
wow...lots of info being given about knocking and octane usage. the one item that is definitely recommended is the use of top tier fuel. unless you drive ***** out every day and take the engine to max on a daily basis, there will be deposits forming in the combustion chamber over just a few thousand miles of use...especially with the higher octane fuels. never use a higher octane fuel that what is called for by the manfr.

all fuel is essentially 87 octane....additives are added to the base fuel to meet octane, anti-knock, and cleansor requirments. the top tier fuels have demonstrated the ability to keep the c/chambers clear of deposits that's why they're recommnded by various manufacturers. the extra additives that are in 91/93 can actually lead to greater deposits being formed in the c/c. under normal driving the chemicals added for the octane and anti-kncok booster go unburned and lead to the deposits being formed.

the best thing, aside from using the top tier fuels ,is if you do have knocking beyond the occasional case of it then do a series of throttle braking, put the transmission in 2nd either auto or standard, and run the car up to redline, take your foot off the accelerator andback it down to 2500-3000 rpms. do that sequence for 6/7 times and the "fluttering of the rings on the decelleration will break free any deposits that have formed.

this procedure came from a caddy engineer that was part of the team that designed the northstar way back when...the caddy engines were driven mostly by the white haired set and there were lots of complaints of high oil usage, poor mileage, and poor drivabiliy....most of the problems could be traced to the deposits in the c/chambers.

one last point: modern engines can easily run at 10.5 or higher compression ratio on regular fuel (87)...it's simply the design that the engineers used when the fuel management system was designed for that particular motor. in fact, the new direct injected 3.6 v6 in the 08 caddy sts and the cts runs on 87 and has over 11.0 compression ratio...atleast 11....i can't recall the exact number off hand...and she makes over 300 hp.

jackg
06 sts6

in my heart i wanted the g mustang but the old lady talked me out of it...

Good post. Thanks for all the info!!

So those new Shell ads are to be believed then?
Old 7/25/07, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I already recommended Techron about 6 months ago: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...1&postcount=40

I have used the cheapest 87 octane without any problems. Of course, I also kept the car completely stock and didn't bother with any CAI or aftermarket tunes.
Old 7/26/07, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I already recommended Techron about 6 months ago: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...1&postcount=40

I have used the cheapest 87 octane without any problems. Of course, I also kept the car completely stock and didn't bother with any CAI or aftermarket tunes.
Yeah, and I gave you some credit for that in post 48 or 49!
Old 7/28/07, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I wonder if any of the TMS members who have experienced pinging are using K&N-style filters. It could be due to contaminated MAF sensor wires (due to the oil from the cotton gauze).
Old 7/29/07, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead
What's more, all Ford engines adapt to the increase in Octane by further advancing the timing, thereby increasing your efficiency.

This is only my second post on this forum, so I don't claim to be an expert on the new Mustangs. However - I have to ask - are you sure about the above statement? Everything else I have read about the newer mustangs running on 87 octane seems to contradict this. I thought the entire reason that people were buying the SCT Xcalibrator/Predator to acquire the 89, 91 and 93 octane "tunes" was because the stock computer didn't advance timing to compensate for the higher octane? I could be totally wrong, but I would appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me

Old 7/29/07, 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct. As far as I know, the stock calibration does NOT increase timing to compensate for higher octane. The only thing it does is pull timing to compensate for knocking. It does not go the other way.
Old 7/30/07, 02:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
Correct. As far as I know, the stock calibration does NOT increase timing to compensate for higher octane. The only thing it does is pull timing to compensate for knocking. It does not go the other way.
No, the stock tune DOES advance timing if detonation is not detected. It only advances it by 2* at 3000 RPM and above, and advances by 8* below 3000 RPM. It pulls a max of 8* below 4000 RPM and pulls a max of 5* at 4500 RPM and higher.
Old 7/31/07, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
No, the stock tune DOES advance timing if detonation is not detected. It only advances it by 2* at 3000 RPM and above, and advances by 8* below 3000 RPM. It pulls a max of 8* below 4000 RPM and pulls a max of 5* at 4500 RPM and higher.
Interesting, that's the first time I've read that. Anyone happen to know how much the timing is advanced using one of the "93 octane tunes" from Brenspeed or any of the others?

Quick Reply: Pinging on 87 octane fuel