Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Pinging on 87 octane fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/06, 02:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I tried looking for more info on Sunoco, but it appears historically that they've gotten their oil from Ohio and Pennsylvania. I am not sure if this is the case now, but I've never ever had a problem with Sunoco fuels in my vehicles. They aren't the cheapest but they aren't the most expensive either. They have 86 (some places), 87, 89, 93, and 94 octane readily available.
Old 11/17/06, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sold on the idea that it's winter gas.... in Colorado, the difference was night and day.... you'd watch your fuel mileage go down the toilet... but I'm in Florida... There is no smog control here 'cause the sea breeze keeps the air clear. I wouldn't think that anyone's changing out fuel for the winter here.
But... yeah.. cheap gas is my first suspicion, but that's the thing... I've been getting gas from the big names, and it's not any different. I'll fill up with 89 or better today and see what difference it makes.
Old 11/17/06, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clintoris
I'm not sold on the idea that it's winter gas.... in Colorado, the difference was night and day.... you'd watch your fuel mileage go down the toilet... but I'm in Florida... There is no smog control here 'cause the sea breeze keeps the air clear. I wouldn't think that anyone's changing out fuel for the winter here.
But... yeah.. cheap gas is my first suspicion, but that's the thing... I've been getting gas from the big names, and it's not any different. I'll fill up with 89 or better today and see what difference it makes.
Give this a shot http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...hlight=seafoam
Old 11/17/06, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have used 89-mid grade from day one in my '05 GT, never had pinging.
Old 11/20/06, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

well.... I filled up with 93 octane from Exxon.... since I had "0 miles to empty" in the massage center, and the Sunoco was accross the bay, yet.... I decided I didn't want to get stranded on a bridge. Anyways... I noticed the difference in the way the car ran.... seemed a little quicker on the throttle... and it idled differently. But... I am still pining.

So, I listen closer.. turn down the radio.... 'cause I don't want to miss anything.... and as it turns out, I haven't been pinging all along. My problem is a wire that I installed.... either the cable from the Sirius reciever or the wire to the antenna, is vibrating. Didn't really notice it unless I was on the throttle, and the car runs a little rougher. That is related to the problem I have in the differential that the dealer has been screwin' me around on.... but since the car vibrates under open throttle, the cables are bouncing and buzzing on the sheet metal... which sounded an awful lot like a ping.
Old 11/20/06, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It might be a good idea to fix that rattle because it may set off the knock sensors and cause it to pull timing.
Old 11/20/06, 06:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well.... I filled up with 93 octane from Exxon.... since I had "0 miles to empty" in the massage center, and the Sunoco was accross the bay, yet.... I decided I didn't want to get stranded on a bridge. Anyways... I noticed the difference in the way the car ran.... seemed a little quicker on the throttle... and it idled differently. But... I am still pining.

So, I listen closer.. turn down the radio.... 'cause I don't want to miss anything.... and as it turns out, I haven't been pinging all along. My problem is a wire that I installed.... either the cable from the Sirius reciever or the wire to the antenna, is vibrating. Didn't really notice it unless I was on the throttle, and the car runs a little rougher. That is related to the problem I have in the differential that the dealer has been screwin' me around on.... but since the car vibrates under open throttle, the cables are bouncing and buzzing on the sheet metal... which sounded an awful lot like a ping.

How much extra did that massage center cost you? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 11/21/06, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Treadhead
How much extra did that massage center cost you? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
yeah... I'm waiting for it to cough up the winning lotto numbers.
Old 11/21/06, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I wish they offered the message center separate from the IUP, and the sport appearance package separate from the gawdy alloy pedals.
Old 11/21/06, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

I didn't get the option of having aluminum pedals in an '06.. I would have taken them. And, the message center is pretty cool... I haven't had any, but if it's throwing any errors, I believe it tells you the codes in the message center.
Regardless.. it came with the MyColor guages, and that's what I was really after. I dig the blue backlight.
Old 11/21/06, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Is anyone else having problems pinging on a bone stock GT with 8I have7 octane fuel? I only gas up at either Chevron or BP.... Shell if I'm in a pinch... but with these 3 companies, I would expect that they aren't selling something different from what's on the label. Here in Florida, 87 is the lowest octane level... so it's not like they can get the tanks mixed up between 85 and 87.
I haven't put in 91 or 93 to see if it quits.... but WTF?
I have that same problem anytime I stick Chevorn in any engine, seems to ping a lot / cough & choke but no pukeing as yet.
Old 1/25/07, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine has been pinging on 87 Octane (started about a month ago with 4K miles on the ODO)...I switched to 89 Mid-Grade Octane and it helps, but I still notice a faint pinging on some hard accelerations even in cold weather(mainly in the 2000-3000 RPMs).

I made a search on the net and found that engines with compression ratios of 9.3:1 can normally handle the 87 Octane but that those engines with a higher compression ratio should use a higher octane...guess what? The 05/06/07 Mustang GT has a compression ratio of 9.8:1...hmmmm...looks like Ford didn't want to scare away any customers by recommending a mid-grade or premium fuel for prospective owners...but they failed to realize is that those who want a Mustang GT (i.e. a high performance car/engine) are willing to pay a few extra cents per gallon at the pumps to ensure that their engine will run its best.

The owner's manual says that a little bit of engine knock is normal...WHO ARE THEY KIDDING? Only themselves! I guess they figure they'll have our business again sooner than later when the engines start having trouble.

I guess I will be trying premium fuel (93 Octane) to see if that eliminates the pinging problem (my Vette, my Maxima and son's VW GTI all use premium, as recommended in the owner's manual and they run with no "engine knock")...Ford get off your duff and admit there's a problem..."tuned for 87 Octane, my derriere."
Old 1/26/07, 02:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run 87 for 36K miles, and never heard any pinging, not even when the engine is cold. Granted, I don't mash the pedal when it's cold, but still...
Old 1/26/07, 02:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Steve, the only other thing that could be affecting the gas is the introduction of 10% ethanol in this area (Southeastern Virginia) in the last 3 months...supposedly it should raise the octane of the gas...but who knows? A good friend of mine said that he's noticed his F-150 has been pinging in the last couple of months since our area fuel is now mixed with ethanol.
Old 1/26/07, 04:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ethanol can raise octane, as it has a very high octane rating, +100. But if it is blended with say, 85 octane gasoline, it just raises it up to the 87, so it is the same as regular non-blended gas. But that is not to say that it won't make it ping if the formulation is off by just a little bit.
Old 1/26/07, 05:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Do you have any mods or a tune? The SCT 87 performance tune adds timing when the knock sensor doesn't detect any detonation, which could cause some detonation before the timing was pulled. Try a different gas station if possible.
Old 1/26/07, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
I have never noticed any pinging, but I have noticed that I get worse gas mileage with BP, and last time I used it my gas gauge went crazy, went to "E" for about 15 minutes, then went back up to 1/2 slowly over about 5 minutes.
The gas gauge goes nuts if you leave the car in the accessory on key position when filling it up.
Old 1/26/07, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol my remote Sirius unit's antenna wire rattles against the side of the dash/door jamb trim just like that, I need to tuck it in better.
Old 1/26/07, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

metroplex, no tune...stricly stock...I will give another station a try...but I'm at my wits end and soon I'll be pumping premium into her.
Old 1/26/07, 09:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Some detonation is "acceptable". The OEMs like as clean of a burn as possible. This isn't the same as detonation at WOT, which is bad juju.

Try some Chevron Techron fuel additive ($5-$7/bottle) with a few gallons of fuel remaining in your gas tank. That usually clears up minor detonation problems.

FYI: The standard factory tune adds some timing when the ECT/CHT/ACT is below a certain temperature. So if your ambient is low, say 0F, it will add more timing than in the summer time. That may cause detonation using stale gas or poorly formulated gasoline. Conversely, if the ECT/CHT/ACT is too high, it will pull timing.

Try the Techron (it won't hurt anyhow) and change gas stations if possible. I've had great luck with Sunoco and Shell. BP isn't very good for any of my modular Fords, and Marathon seems to be pretty decent.

Quick Reply: Pinging on 87 octane fuel