Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Parking brake freezing

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/08, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar_bobby
It is an 8 page warranty contract. I am going to call Fidelity Warranty Services, INC. (Saturday or Monday) to get the exact details why this is not covered. I believe it had something to do with ice and rust like ice build up caused it to rust. Rust void the warranty according to the contract.
I am still fighting with the Fidelity Warranty Services, INC on this issue. I am waiting from BBB.ORG for a response. Does not look good.
Link for Fidelity Warranty Services from the BBB.ORG. They were just upgraded to a C- from a D+.
http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/B...anyID=25000717

My Ford Warranty ended at 36,000 miles. Although I had 69,000 miles on the vehicle when my emergency got stucked, my exented warranty was good until 72,000 miles. Basically, I believe the dealership (Germain Ford Columbus) sold me a very crapping warranty. Fidelity Warranty Services is crap.
Old 1/26/08, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would be extremely irritated with the DEALER for not making it crystal clear it was not an ESP warranty. Contact a local news station's "troubleshooter" and at least get them some bad press. It's the perfect "buyer beware" kind of story.

And by the way it IS NOT RUST that causes the failure, it is a part failure. The boots deteriorate, let water in, and it freezes.
Old 1/30/08, 03:14 PM
Cobra R Member

My ebrake froze two weeks ago. I waited a day or so for it to thaw and took it in for warranty repair. They replaced a couple of cables and a boot.

Nascar Bobby, as Mustang Lynda said, It's not rust. It's the premature wear of the rubber boot. Did you take a copy of the TSB with you? You can also use the TSB when you deal with the BBB showing that it's a known issue. Good luck.
Old 1/30/08, 05:03 PM

MustangLynda and WaltM,
1. I have informed the BBB.org that Fidelity Warranty Services claim (of rust) has nothing to do with the parking brake freezing.
2. I have also provided the BBB.ORG with the correct Ford Technical Service Bulletin thanks to this forum.

I am still waiting on a response back from the BBB.ORG who is waiting on a response from Fidelity Warranty Services.

I am not to upset about this. The cost of repair was $193. I have to pay a hundred $100 deductible because I will not take it to the dealership that sold me the car. The contract allows me to take the car into any repair shop. The cables were replaced by another Ford dealership. The dealership that sold me the car (Germain of Columbus) will never have my business ever again. If I do not hear back from the BBB.ORG and Fidelity Warranty Services, I will write Mr. Germain a certified letter asking why Germain Ford sells such a crap Warranty Services.
Old 3/11/08, 11:59 PM

Monday, Fidelity Warranty Service sent me a check for the emergency break fixed. I think BBB.org paid off.
Old 3/12/08, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nascar_bobby
Monday, Fidelity Warranty Service sent me a check for the emergency break fixed. I think BBB.org paid off.
Excellent ! It's nice to see someone get some justice !
Old 3/12/08, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent - way to follow through!!

I would still write that dealer a letter though....
Old 12/16/08, 05:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love this site. Just had this issue happen to me today. Time to take the TSB to the dealership.
Old 12/16/08, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Time to move to a warmer climate.
Old 12/17/08, 04:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by donkey
Nowhere in the owners manual does it mention to not use the parking brake in cold weather.
It does now:
"...do not use the e-brake for extended periods, especially in cold weather..."

I used to get a bit of brake-stick on older cars or after I'd washed them if I left the e-brake on, but usually that was down to rust on the rotors, not this...
Now that I have a garage, the car is parked with the e-brake fully off and reverse gear engaged, even though it's parked on a sloping ramp - the Mustang sits on the top level of a hydraulic ramp with my other car under it...
Old 1/1/09, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Arkady001
It does now:
"...do not use the e-brake for extended periods, especially in cold weather..."

I used to get a bit of brake-stick on older cars or after I'd washed them if I left the e-brake on, but usually that was down to rust on the rotors, not this...
Now that I have a garage, the car is parked with the e-brake fully off and reverse gear engaged, even though it's parked on a sloping ramp - the Mustang sits on the top level of a hydraulic ramp with my other car under it...
Can't believe this thread is still going...my problem was caused by improper lubrication of the parking brake cable from the factory. The cable would freeze in 20 minutes. Due to the Ford dealer response and the obvious safety issue I sold the car. They issued a TSB a few months (or was it a year) resolving the issue, come to think of it I'm still waiting on that promised call from the dealer...

I set my parking brake on my current non ford vehicles in freezing temps all the time without a single issue. If I consider a 2010 I hope I don't have the same issue...
Old 1/2/09, 08:04 AM
Cobra R Member

I set my parking brake on my current non ford vehicles in freezing temps all the time without a single issue. If I consider a 2010 I hope I don't have the same issue...
It's a shame you had to sell your car, but I can understand your situation. Above all else, I need my car to dependable so I can go to work and pay for it.

I've had no issues since my cables were replaced. But I'm a bit troubled by Ford saying that you shouldn't set it in freezing temps. After all it is an emergency brake, right? So I'm setting it whenever necessary.

Hopefully they've straightened it out and going forward, this will be a non-issue.
Old 9/15/10, 09:13 PM

I sent my car in for this exact same problem a few years back.. and they could never figure it out. Pissed me off. It was under warranty then.. . but not now that I found what is wrong.

How much does this cost if you take it to em now? I am just pissed they couldn't figure it out when I sent it in under warranty.. Grr
Old 9/16/10, 05:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
If you have receipts from when it was under warranty and they could find it , you might have some recourse with Ford. I'd give them a call and see ...
Old 9/17/10, 05:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
mine went in for the rework and it still sticks. I try not to use it in winter. I wonder if I just run a bunch of wd-40 through the cables if that would fix it?
Old 4/18/11, 07:04 AM

Anyone ever had their parking brake stick in cold weather? Today it happend to me for the third (and last) time.

Around christmas time it got down to 13 or so degrees here in Nashville. Left my car out of the garage by accident. Got in, drove off. Noticed that it felt sluggish, then it went away and I forgot about it. The next day it was down in the low teens again, and it stalled when I let out the clutch. Figured it was the parking brake or something and just drove off, after a few minutes it was fine. I had no time or interest to investigate further. Drove down to the coast (over 1000 mile trip) that next weekend, and as I was showing the car to someone else we noticed the rear rotors were burnt up...really bad. Then it hit me what had really happend. Took it in and they repaired the car under warranty in Mobile, brake pads were dust, calipers trashed, rotors gouged and cracked - entire rear braking system was replaced.

So, today as I'm leaving office depot the parking brake won't release yet again.

It's 20 degrees on the bank sign I'm staring at and the sun is starting to go down. So, I call Ford roadside assistance and they send a tow which shows up quickly. The tow truck driver had his wife with him, so there was not room for me and my wife, that was fun. Called Ford back to ask how I was to get home and what I'm supposed to drive and they would not provide transportation for me, and my dealer just sent me back out in the now sub 20 degree weather not even offering to call me a cab. They are not going to have a good day Monday morning.

This is the third time I have been left stranded by that car, and it's going to be the last. Between the design defects I've experienced and the attitude of the dealer, I'm done. Mustang for sale. Ford has just lost another customer, not that they really care anyway.

If anyone has experienced this problem and found a resolution, please post.
Yes I suffered a similiar fate and ended up replacing the rear rotors too. I don't use the hand brake in the cold weather.