Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

NEW ROTORS/PADS

Old 10/5/18, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NEW ROTORS/PADS

I just put some new rotors on my car. There was intermittent squealing coming from the rear brakes when applied.
I have around 100K kms on my 05 GT. I was kinda broke, so I figured why not do it myself.
This was the first time I ever did brakes myself which is stupid of me considering I have a fairly extensive mechanical background.

I watched some youtube videos to get some pointers. I started with the drivers rear.
Had trouble getting the rotor off, I used some WD40 and eventually it came off. One of the caliper bracket slides was stuck.
I cleaned the slides up and lubed everything up with high heat never seize its all I had.
One guy on a youtube video said some old timer told him about using never seize on the bracket clips where the pads slide.
So that's why I figured it work for the slides too.
I did the free rental for the caliper compressor tool to wind the pistons back in the caliper
...I wouldn't bother trying to use waterpump pliers and risk ripping the piston rubbers

These are the rear rotors I got, seems like pretty good quality. I like how they machine the slots
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rear-E-Coat-...item5b4b604213

I liked them so much that I just ordered the fronts too as they are warped
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Front-E-Coat...item5d8060279e

There was some cheaper ones I could have got and I could have paid a whole lot more too. I am happy with the quality.
They do their own machining. Mine are the drilled/slotted. Here is a short video of one being machined.
http://www.duraplusbrake.com/

Last edited by darcman; 10/6/18 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10/5/18, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
sounds good -- how are they working for you?
Old 10/5/18, 06:19 PM
V6 Member

The fronts are still on the way to me and the rears I just installed, but I think are great and look really good too
Old 10/16/18, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Well I am glad I decided to do the front rotors too. One of the pass side caliper bracket slides was seized.
The rotors look awesome on the car and wow talk about really good working brakes now.

My only complaint is the caliper bracket pad clips were all for the same side
The clips only fit one way as there is a top and bottom to them, but there should be 4 lefts and 4 rights
So when I installed them, half of the clips had the bigger tab to the inside against the rotor and they would rub both on the inside of the rotor and the outside. I used the clips, but I had to squash the tabs that were against the rotors so they wouldn't rub.

Last edited by darcman; 10/16/18 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling