Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

New Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/06, 12:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took the Stang to the dealer to have a door vibration fixed while they had the car running the tech heard a noise coming from the Tachometer called Ford to check it out and they told him to check it against a new one on the lot. Well, needless to say the new one did not do it. So they called to order a new one and they told the tech it would take 2 to 4 weeks because of a National Backorder. Well, the tech told his boss and they got the parts rep from Ford to get it here next week. Now for the problem, since the tach is tied to the computer readout of my mileage Ford has to program one to match my cars mileage, well Ford won't let me drive my car because my new read out would be different then the readout of the old and that would cost them money from since it's under warranty. Geez it's not like I am going to drive 2k in 5 days, so now I am driving a Focus............................................. ....... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crying.gif[/img] . just thought you guys might want to know about the problem.
Old 2/17/06, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is crazy. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] They could have prorated it. I hope you are not paying for the Focus. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
Old 2/17/06, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unbelievable
Old 2/17/06, 11:58 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
B.S. I would've told them to go F themselves. YOUR car! They can't hold it hostage. If they didn't give it back to you, I would've been on the phone w/ the police.

Anyway, that sucks. Hope it gets back to you soon.

Come to think of it, tell them you want a warranty extension for the 2 to 4 weeks, since you don't have use of your car. Beat them in their own game.

Really sorry to hear your treated that way.
Old 2/18/06, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I sounds like someone wasn't thinking.

Yes, there are leagal issues concerning mileage.....
But
If the part isn't there yet they can't program the mileage anyway. So your car will just sit till the part arrives. They should have just called you when it came in and then scheduled an appointment to calibrate and install it. It would have been more convenient for everyone.
Old 2/18/06, 01:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

What kind of noise was it making? Was is totally malfuctioning? I can not see them keeping your car unless it was unsafe to drive. That's complete BS. I hope you checked your mileage when you left, because I would bet someone is driving around in a stang while your in a focus. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 2/18/06, 03:29 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grrr428 @ February 18, 2006, 1:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I sounds like someone wasn't thinking.

Yes, there are leagal issues concerning mileage.....
But
If the part isn't there yet they can't program the mileage anyway. So your car will just sit till the part arrives. They should have just called you when it came in and then scheduled an appointment to calibrate and install it. It would have been more convenient for everyone.
[/b][/quote]

A few hundred miles ain't gonna matter. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Sounds like they are paranoid. My old boss used to give his wife a Mustang for the summer and then sold it as new never registered (a 3400 mi. test drive). The warranty started at 3400 mi. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karman @ February 18, 2006, 4:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A few hundred miles ain't gonna matter. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] Sounds like they are paranoid. My old boss used to give his wife a Mustang for the summer and then sold it as new never registered (a 3400 mi. test drive). The warranty started at 3400 mi. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

That's a Demo. Warranty mileage starts at it's in service date. If it was year later with 10,000 miles that's where the buyer's warranty starts. So a 3/36 would be 4/46.

But it's illegal to alter/modify an odometer.
Old 2/20/06, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

So Vista, did you hear this noise coming from the tachometer before you brought it in? Was the door vibration a separate issue, or did the tech determine it was actually the tachometer making the noise/vibration?

You'll have to let us know if the new tachometer fixes the problem, because there are several threads about dash rattles, and some where the tachometer was suspect. But, from what I see, most of the rattles are still unresolved. Some guys said they thought they had it fixed, only to have it come back, or to have a new rattle appear. I can't find any post that says someone has fixed a noise/rattle/vibration by replacing the tach.

You'll have to let us know what the outcome is...

It stinks though, that you once you order the tach assembly, you can't drive the car at all - that almost doesn't make sense. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] Hope it comes quicker than the 2-4 weeks they promised you.
Old 2/22/06, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah it sounded funny to me too but I really don't think these guys would pull anything on me they are very kind to me, I really do get grade A attention when I walk in; so I have no reason to distrust them. No I am not paying for the focus the dealership is, and aside from a state fee of 8 dollars a day(Hertz policy not dealers). Yeah I heard the tach noise before just thought it was normal operation, but I guess not. To explain the noise clearly when you start the car if you put your ear to the tach you can hear a winding ticking noise, it's suddle but when you turn off the ignition you hear the ticking winding down and then stop. Though I never got why I could not drive the car until the part came in. Makes me think more is wrong then they said but we will see. and Yes I know my exact mileage [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

As a side note they are not getting the car for 2 to 4 weeks I only let them keep it because they said they had an agreement with the Ford rep to get it this week, it's been 5 days so they have till Friday if not I am taking the car and Ford and talk to me about it.
Old 2/22/06, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the exact noise coming from behind my dash. I always thought it was a "normal" noise. Thanks for the heads up!
Michael
Old 2/22/06, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Glad I could help, thats why I wanted to post it. Anyway I just called them they are going to check to see if it came in and let me know. Service told me it WILL be done by Friday.
Old 2/22/06, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the same noise coming from my tach. When you turn the car off, it sounds like a watch winding down. I was going to take it in, but now, i'll wait untill it really starts bugging me. I wonder if there is a TSB on it?
Old 2/22/06, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I am another owner who has this problem. time for a head count and a new TSB?
Old 2/23/06, 06:38 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AvtoLubitel @ February 22, 2006, 4:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am another owner who has this problem. time for a head count and a new TSB?
[/b][/quote]
MAN, I have heard it too, sounds like a turbine jet engine winding down, not real loud but noticible. I thought it was normal because the Focus loner I had did the same thing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] . So am I to understand this is NOT normal? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vistablue mustang @ February 22, 2006, 1:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
To explain the noise clearly when you start the car if you put your ear to the tach you can hear a winding ticking noise, it's suddle but when you turn off the ignition you hear the ticking winding down and then stop. [/b][/quote]

I'm still interested in hearing what happens today with your car, and if the new tachometer fixes that problem.

Unfortunately for me, mine is a different noise. I don't have to put my ear near the tach to hear it - the rattle is plenty loud from anywhere in the car. Also, I don't have the wind-down noise when I shut the car off. Mine is just a pretty loud rattle during acceleration in any gear from 2900 rpm to 3500 rpm. The noise is louder when the car and outside temperature is cold. It's definitely not a normal noise, and on my car, it only started happening a couple months ago, when there were about 6000 miles on the car.

Much as I hate to say it, I think I'm going to have to bring the car back to the dealer for the first time and have them fix this, because I can't live with it any more. It's embarrassing. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

I pick it up today at 4:00PM, so I will be sure to let you guys know whats going on here. Is it normal? The answer I got was no, they sent the tech I deal with out, and he checked another V6 and a GT and neither of them did it so, thats why they ordered the new tach. I agree with AvtoLubitel on this one we need a head count. wjones14, when did your car first start the noise? I am just curious if what you have is the end result of the problem we are talking about.
Old 2/24/06, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grrr428 @ February 19, 2006, 1:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That's a Demo. Warranty mileage starts at it's in service date. If it was year later with 10,000 miles that's where the buyer's warranty starts. So a 3/36 would be 4/46.

[/b][/quote]

I didn't realize that Ford sold cars off planet. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] The Basic New Vehicle Limited Warranty is 36 months/36,000 miles in the USA regardless of demo use, buyer use or whatever. Exception being: If the vehicle was pulled after final assembly for quality evaluation, the warranty is extended for the number of miles driven for evaluation (sticker must be kept as proof). 36/36 is 36/36. Just clarifying things.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IE8Z28 @ February 23, 2006, 8:41 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
MAN, I have heard it too, sounds like a turbine jet engine winding down, not real loud but noticible. I thought it was normal because the Focus loner I had did the same thing [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img] . So am I to understand this is NOT normal? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

What you probably hear is the electric cooling fans spinning down after the engine is shut down. This can last up to 4 seconds it does sound exactly like a turbine shutting down.
Old 2/24/06, 04:59 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiberius1701 @ February 24, 2006, 2:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Basic New Vehicle Limited Warranty is 36 months/36,000 miles in the USA regardless of demo use, buyer use or whatever. Exception being: If the vehicle was pulled after final assembly for quality evaluation, the warranty is extended for the number of miles driven for evaluation (sticker must be kept as proof). 36/36 is 36/36. Just clarifying things.

[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eyebrow.gif[/img] Sure about that? I used to sell cars, and if a car had 150 miles on it when the customer took delivery, then the warranty was good until the odometer reached 36150. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] Maybe there's a threshold that kicks in for cases like demo's? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 10:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll bet that it sounds like the speedo cable may not have been in all the way ? I used to do some work for a Ford dealer that also owned a rental agenciy & I had caught onto people reaching behind and unclipping them to NOT pay for the milage ! Now I hope that is not what happened to yours to begin with ?

Quick Reply: New Issue?